The Student Room Group

Help

Dose a B in foundation maths GCSE reach the Equivalent of grade C ordinary?
Original post by Clark_94
Dose a B in foundation maths GCSE reach the Equivalent of grade C ordinary?
As I understand it, C is the maximum grade you can achieve in foundation maths.:smile: That's using the old grading system of course, it's now operated on a scale of 9-1.:s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
As I understand it, C is the maximum grade you can achieve in foundation maths.:smile: That's using the old grading system of course, it's now operated on a scale of 9-1.:s-smilie:

I though the same, but not. My daughter took her Chemistry last year and was scared to take higher tier, so she took foundation and ended up with B, because she did very well on her control assessment (A*)
So, she regrets now because she might have had A or even A* :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mrs X
I though the same, but not. My daughter took her Chemistry last year and was scared to take higher tier, so she took foundation and ended up with B, because she did very well on her control assessment (A*)
So, she regrets now because she might have had A or even A* :smile:
Exams are limited at a C, and since Maths in 100% exam (unless I'm missing something), Maths would be limited to a C.

On the new grading system

OCRGCSE (9-1) Mathematics will still have two tiers (Foundation and Higher), but the new tiers cover slightly different ranges of grades than before. The Foundation tier now covers a slightly wider range of grades, as it now goes up to Grade 5 (comparable to high Grade C / low Grade B performance from the old scale). The Higher tier will now cover Grade 4 (comparable to Grade C from the old scale) and above, whereas the previous Higher tier included grades from Grade D and above. This means that the easiest questions on the GCSE (9-1) Higher tier will be slightly more challenging than the easiest questions on the previous GCSE’s Higher tier. Higher tier learners just missing out on a Grade 4 can pick up a Grade 3, though!

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/261118-gcse-9-1-maths-parent-learner-guide.pdf
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Exams are limited at a C, and since Maths in 100% exam (unless I'm missing something), Maths would be limited to a C.

On the new grading system

OCRGCSE (9-1) Mathematics will still have two tiers (Foundation and Higher), but the new tiers cover slightly different ranges of grades than before. The Foundation tier now covers a slightly wider range of grades, as it now goes up to Grade 5 (comparable to high Grade C / low Grade B performance from the old scale). The Higher tier will now cover Grade 4 (comparable to Grade C from the old scale) and above, whereas the previous Higher tier included grades from Grade D and above. This means that the easiest questions on the GCSE (9-1) Higher tier will be slightly more challenging than the easiest questions on the previous GCSE’s Higher tier. Higher tier learners just missing out on a Grade 4 can pick up a Grade 3, though!

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/261118-gcse-9-1-maths-parent-learner-guide.pdf

I argued with her teacher as well about it, but he was right.
Maybe math is different than Chemistry.
She got 7 in her math GCSE
Original post by Mrs X
I argued with her teacher as well about it, but he was right.
Maybe math is different than Chemistry.
She got 7 in her math GCSE
Maths is different to Chemistry since there is Chemistry coursework. Or at least there was on the spec last summer. If a foundation GCSE is 100% exam, and the exams are capped at a C for foundation, then that's gonna be your total end grades at best.
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
Maths is different to Chemistry since there is Chemistry coursework. Or at least there was on the spec last summer. If a foundation GCSE is 100% exam, and the exams are capped at a C for foundation, then that's gonna be your total end grades at best.

ive told you, she took foundation and god B
Original post by Mrs X
ive told you, she took foundation and god B
In Chemistry, I know, and this thread is about Maths.:wink:
You can't get a B at foundation.

Quick Reply

Latest