The Student Room Group

Is doing a Masters at a top university prestigious?

Is doing an MSc at a place like Oxford, Cambridge or Imperial just as prestigious as doing an undergraduate degree there?

What are your thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

Why wouldn't it be? You need great uni grades to be competitive which is harder than doing well in your A levels.
I don't think it's automatically the same prestige personally but that's based on my knowledge of my subject :holmes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I don't think it's automatically the same prestige personally but that's based on my knowledge of my subject :holmes:

I guess I'm speaking far more generally and not specific to subjects.
depends on the subject. If its competitive like finance at LSE or something then yea. If its East Asia Studies or Biology not really.

Otherwise its just a sign of your bank balance and in ability to get a job unless your going down the research path in which case its prestigious

Original post by Exceptional
Why wouldn't it be? You need great uni grades to be competitive which is harder than doing well in your A levels.

Getting a 2:1 is much easier than getting A*AA
Original post by hannah00
depends on the subject. If its competitive like finance at LSE or something then yea. If its East Asia Studies or Biology not really.

Looks like someone isn't aware of increasingly up and coming field

As biology with computer science for the development of AI, in terms of demand, is gone from being on fire to fuc*in' radioactive and that's not even exaggeration.

Otherwise its just a sign of your bank balance and in ability to get a job unless your going down the research path in which case its prestigious

Just to jump in here. You're right that even Oxford and Cambridge ask for a 2.1 for many Masters courses. But they want a minimum of 67%+ with consistently good grades, so it's not as easy as just getting a 2.1

:smile:
Original post by Lord Nutter
Looks like someone isn't aware of increasingly up and coming field

As biology with computer science for the development of AI, in terms of demand, is gone from being on fire to fuc*in' radioactive and that's not even exaggeration.

looks like someone isnt aware what competitive means

Im speaking in the present tense based on current statistics, not your prediction of the future
looks like someone isnt aware what competitive means

Im speaking in the present tense based on current statistics, not your prediction of the future

You are wrong and I going to tell you why;

Competitiveness How prestigious a degree is (Which is what the OP is asking)

Make sure you get the point right next time
You are wrong and I going to tell you why;

Competitiveness How prestigious a degree is (Which is what the OP is asking)

Make sure you get the point right next time

Why you moving the goal posts when you brought up AI and popularity ?

no your wrong, competitiveness is a trait of a programme that is prestigious and highly in demand and desirable.

Your suppose to learn something new everyday, this was your thing for today.
Original post by PostGrad221
Is doing an MSc at a place like Oxford, Cambridge or Imperial just as prestigious as doing an undergraduate degree there?

What are your thoughts.

As long as it isn't something incredibly niche and obscure like North Eastern Celtic Philosophy, or gender studies, or sexuality, in most cases, I'd probably call it roughly equal. Bare in mind the master course is usually the 4th year of an MSci anyway.
Ish.

Your suppose to learn something new everyday, this was your thing for today.

Haha, that was not funny

competitiveness is a trait of a programme that is prestigious and highly in demand and desirable.

True competitiveness is correlated but let me put this in context so even you can understand - a university can be extremely competitive (more so than Cambridge) to get into but the degree is not as prestigious as Cambridge - you see what I mean.

thus, competitiveness How prestigious a degree is

so checkmate, m8
(edited 6 years ago)

Hmm, depends on the degree in all fairness.
Haha, that was not funny

True competitiveness is correlated but let me put this in context so even you can understand - a university can be extremely competitive (more so than Cambridge) to get into but the degree is not as prestigious as Cambridge - you see what I mean.

thus, competitiveness How prestigious a degree is

so checkmate, m8

This is every Chinese university tbh
Original post by Anagogic

Hmm, depends on the degree in all fairness.

And the A-Levels. I'd agree if they weren't hard subjects vs a dead degree.

But obviously that statement doesn't hold up - Imperial, Oxbridge and LSE students who got 2:2 show that
I guess I'm speaking far more generally and not specific to subjects.

I don't think it is generally either tbh, but I'm just a mean snob like that :tongue:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I don't think it is generally either tbh, but I'm just a mean snob like that :tongue:

And you might just be a bit biased, considering you could get into Oxbridge for undergrad but had not a chance at postgrad.

What are your thoughts.

Depends on the programme..

A really competitive, sought after Masters-level course? Yeah.

A course that lets average people in and serves nothing more than to be a cash cow for the university (considering Masters degrees aren't subject to fee caps and international students are gullible)? Not really.

A PhD is commendable anywhere really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
And you might just be a bit biased, considering you could get into Oxbridge for undergrad but had not a chance at postgrad.

Poss but I stand by my point for other good reasons too :biggrin:

Quick Reply