The Student Room Group

I'm a Degree Apprentice - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toy Soldiers
It doesn't seem so bad as I thought as you aren't rushing to the airport early in the morning and coming back late at night. Though I personally would find it difficult not having any free time at all, especially when you are working in a different country! I tried to get as much as I can from my business travel experience by exploring the nearby town, museum and area I was working in.

Funny story about the Museum of Children though, at least it turned out to be somewhat an interesting experience! :wink:

Well done on completing all of that work - the increasing pressure does motivate you more to get it done. That's a very good strategy that you have about creating a timetable to balance your work and free-time. We're in the early stages of our degree so it's good to be have good habits now to stick to a routine.

I have a pretty good work/life balance at the moment since I now drive to work. I get back home at 16:45 now compared to 18:00 when I used to commute by train. However, I think I'm not using my available time as productive as I could be, so I will be creating a timetable today to see how much degree work + further study hours I should put in and if I have enough free time to maybe join a sports club, like I used to back at sixth form.

There's a lot more work I need to put into this new module as I am unfamiliar with networking, so I'm glad I have the time to read ahead on some of the topics.

Thank you! :biggrin: I'm REALLY hoping I pass the first year; I am struggling with the practical side of my networking module as we have to use a program called "Visible Virtual Machine", I must admit I am having doubts that I'll pass this specific segment - It's worth 25% of my final grade.

That's great to hear! You're so lucky to be getting home at that time !!!! If I pass my test, I highly doubt I'll drive into work when in the UK because getting into central London by train is already a nightmare, imagine getting into London in a car, congestion charges, traffic and parking - It will probably take me longer. :redface:

I'm also doing a module which covers networks "Introduction to Computer Architecture and Network Infrastructure" which is somewhat interesting. I would say the mathematical side of the module is quite difficult; we've been doing Binary to Hexadecimal Conversions, Octal to Binary etc.
Original post by BTAnonymous
i did limit you a bit there, lol.

Thanks for the thread, very helpful.

No problem, glad it's helping!
Original post by squirrology
No problem, glad it's helping!

can u pm me so we can be friends - also watch this amazing vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DifnY4JC2Vk
do u prefer/use iphone or android
Thank you! :biggrin: I'm REALLY hoping I pass the first year; I am struggling with the practical side of my networking module as we have to use a program called "Visible Virtual Machine", I must admit I am having doubts that I'll pass this specific segment - It's worth 25% of my final grade.

That's great to hear! You're so lucky to be getting home at that time !!!! If I pass my test, I highly doubt I'll drive into work when in the UK because getting into central London by train is already a nightmare, imagine getting into London in a car, congestion charges, traffic and parking - It will probably take me longer. :redface:

I'm also doing a module which covers networks "Introduction to Computer Architecture and Network Infrastructure" which is somewhat interesting. I would say the mathematical side of the module is quite difficult; we've been doing Binary to Hexadecimal Conversions, Octal to Binary etc.

My module is called "Data Communications and Network Security" so it's a little different. Odd though that we haven't had any practicals. We have been told about an application called Packet Tracer to play around with though. There's a bit of binary involved when calculating subnets and also there's hexadecimal when learning about IPv6.

Your module sounds a lot more technical aha.

The QA Centre in London takes me around 2 hours to get to each way, so I wouldn't want to journey into London as part of my standard commute. Glad there was an option to drive as I think I would never want to commute over an hour each way now - time's too important for that in my opinion.
Bumping the thread in case anyone has any questions, been on my degree apprenticeship for 8 months now, (almost a year!)
can we be friends
Bumping the thread in case anyone has any questions, been on my degree apprenticeship for 8 months now, (almost a year!)

Hi
Would you be able to tell me what company you are working for?
Hey,
I’m starting the Accenture degree apprenticeship this September! I hope you still use this site because I have a question!

I know when working on projects you may have to travel to another country but can you choose your own projects - say you want to be based in London for as long as possible. I don’t mind traveling but honestly I feel like I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on studying in a place I’m not familiar with?

Also, how often do you need to present in front of people. I’m not the best public speaker but I know I want to become better at it. Regardless, I want to know to what extent?

Thank you xx
Original post by Zaynab.27
Hey,
I’m starting the Accenture degree apprenticeship this September! I hope you still use this site because I have a question!

I know when working on projects you may have to travel to another country but can you choose your own projects - say you want to be based in London for as long as possible. I don’t mind traveling but honestly I feel like I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on studying in a place I’m not familiar with?

Also, how often do you need to present in front of people. I’m not the best public speaker but I know I want to become better at it. Regardless, I want to know to what extent?

Thank you xx

Hey, just tagging in @squirrology in case this has been missed (but it's quite an old thread now).

From my experience, employers are really good at accommodating your wishes so if you had a particular interest in staying where you are instead of travelling, I'm sure you could discuss that with them. As for presenting, I imagine they'll try to promote this as much as possible (they do on my apprenticeship albeit not a degree one!) - and even if they don't I'd recommend taking every opportunity to present as it's a good environment to build your confidence and learn from those around you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest