The Student Room Group

Jeremy Corbyn and Sadiq Khan both went to London Met, does uni prestige matter?

Discuss.
Reply 1
Should have moved to Educational Debates section instead.
I thought Jeremy Corbyn didn't go to university?
London Met didn't exist when either of them went to university, afaik. They both went to the university that preceded London Met and Sadiq Khan also went to the University of Law.

However, it does bring to attention a pretty good point, but on the other hand Jeremy Corbyn isn't a 'traditional' politician.
It does. If you're using the world of politics as an example, you should know both of them are very non-traditional and ultimately its Oxford and it's deep rooted connections to westminster that will give you the best chance of breaking in.

At the end of the day, employers are hiring you not your degree. However going to top unis mean making better connections to industry + alumni and just better opportunities in general.
Reply 5
It's an advantage to do the usual PPE at Oxford but not required.. I'll just leave this here (never went to uni at all)..

Original post by Rakas21
It's an advantage to do the usual PPE at Oxford but not required.. I'll just leave this here (never went to uni at all)..

Oh please. This is the classist equivalent of taking a picture with a black person and saying you're not racist. No, you're probably racist.

Also he went to a grammar school.
Original post by tylerthegoat

Also he went to a grammar school.

He went to grammar school at a time when over 25% of all secondary age children in England attended local authority grammar schools and thousands more attended direct grant grammar schools.
(edited 6 years ago)
It all comes down to the individual. While going to oxbridge or something of that stature defiantly makes life easier where doors will be presented to you right from the offset in the working world results are all that matter. Whether you go to london met or oxford as long as you can produce results no one will care...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

Shame that much of your party despises him now.
@AryanGh you're jezza and i'm khan
Jezza found the pressure at the University of North London too intense and dropped out after a year.
Original post by DeBruyne18
Shame that much of your party despises him now.

He polls pretty well and i know many Tories that like him. It's only a small subset who continue to hate him.
Original post by Rakas21
He polls pretty well and i know many Tories that like him. It's only a small subset who continue to hate him.

A big chunk of Brexiteers despise him.
He should have played a more frontal role in the EU referendum. Even Labour voters find it hard to dislike him.
Original post by JMR2018
I thought Jeremy Corbyn didn't go to university?

He did but he never graduated- he dropped out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending