The Student Room Group

No reference/missed deadline support group thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
And how many blunders have you personally experienced with your application through UCAS?

A lot. They sent me an acceptance from a university I did not apply to. A job acceptance I did not apply to as well. Another email about an issue with my application missing important details, when there was no such thing missing. They had a mistake in the university list I applied to. Filling it in was hell because there's absolutely not enough information on their application system - as if they expected everybody to be familiar with the UK education system and terminology.

I had absolutely no idea that I had to go through my school to apply, because they never mentioned anything on their website about that, or at least, it wasn't where it should have been. It took me a good half an hour trying to figure out how to change my application from individual to school. I had trouble saving my personal statement because from time to time, UCAS would not save the statement.

Payment time comes, and what should have taken 15 minutes takes 3 hours, because their payment system refused to load. I had to reload it dozens of times, and each time I did, I had to reenter the same information.

It's not just UCAS either. The straw that broke the camel's back was Cambridge. Their website information is a terrible mess, where you can't find anything. Plus you need like a dozen forms that they never tell you about until two or three days before the deadline. It's not like the forms have a convenient checklist either or anything of the sort.

I applied for NatSci, so I had to take their entrance exams. Now the way the website is set up on Cambridge, I never saw the NSAA requirement before. They finally sent an email about it... 1 hour before the deadline for registering-in person, for some reason. By some miracle I was able to register for the exams in time. And now, the exams clash with my finals. I had to go see my IB coordinator, who had to go see the organisation responsible for the exams here, who sent some guy who was very grumpy to the school about the exams. He cut the NSAA exam time short by 30 mins.

After all that, I get an interview from Cam. Which they can't do by Skype for some reason. You have to buy a plane ticket to go to UK, and have your interview there. I initially bore all of their administration from UCAS and Cam because it is Cam after all. Then after some time, I'd have taken the interview not to get into Cam, but to give them a piece of my mind. Then I decided that that would be a waste of money and never went for the interview. I'm not going for the Imperial interview either, because I'm so disgusted by the whole application process to UK, that I promised myself I'd never, ever study or teach in the UK.
Original post by wolfmoon88
That's fair.

It seems to happen every year to at least one reputable institution. Statistically speaking overall across all universities in the US, probably not that significant.

Generally speaking... the US application process is considered as less streamline compared to UK applications because while the US do have Common App and Coalition App, many schools still has their own application system whereas in the UK almost all applications if not all are processed by UCAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? That's strange. I mean, it's true that I went through three application processes in the US. However, I had absolutely no issue with any of the application systems. It's hard work writing all those essays but the applications systems were so good, I could fully concentrate on the essays instead of worrying about the details. I can't say the same for UCAS. I'd much rather go through 20 or 30 different application systems that work as well as the ones I used for the US than go through the UCAS once more.

Neither can my friends. A few of my friends applied to both UK and US. All of them are having technical difficulties with their UK applications, but the only difficult aspect of their US apps were the essays.
Reply 62
I have been late applying to uni (not submitted the UCAS application yet) i emailed UCLAN and they have said it is fine :smile:
Original post by PQ
Are you not UK resident? That's the only reason that they would reject you for residency for a nursing degree.

How do I go on about replacing Greenwich with another university ?
Original post by PQ
Are you not UK resident? That's the only reason that they would reject you for residency for a nursing degree.

Also in simple terms, how does UCAS extra and clearing work
Original post by dbs1984
A lot. They sent me an acceptance from a university I did not apply to. A job acceptance I did not apply to as well. Another email about an issue with my application missing important details, when there was no such thing missing. They had a mistake in the university list I applied to. Filling it in was hell because there's absolutely not enough information on their application system - as if they expected everybody to be familiar with the UK education system and terminology.

I had absolutely no idea that I had to go through my school to apply, because they never mentioned anything on their website about that, or at least, it wasn't where it should have been. It took me a good half an hour trying to figure out how to change my application from individual to school. I had trouble saving my personal statement because from time to time, UCAS would not save the statement.

Payment time comes, and what should have taken 15 minutes takes 3 hours, because their payment system refused to load. I had to reload it dozens of times, and each time I did, I had to reenter the same information.

It's not just UCAS either. The straw that broke the camel's back was Cambridge. Their website information is a terrible mess, where you can't find anything. Plus you need like a dozen forms that they never tell you about until two or three days before the deadline. It's not like the forms have a convenient checklist either or anything of the sort.

I applied for NatSci, so I had to take their entrance exams. Now the way the website is set up on Cambridge, I never saw the NSAA requirement before. They finally sent an email about it... 1 hour before the deadline for registering-in person, for some reason. By some miracle I was able to register for the exams in time. And now, the exams clash with my finals. I had to go see my IB coordinator, who had to go see the organisation responsible for the exams here, who sent some guy who was very grumpy to the school about the exams. He cut the NSAA exam time short by 30 mins.

After all that, I get an interview from Cam. Which they can't do by Skype for some reason. You have to buy a plane ticket to go to UK, and have your interview there. I initially bore all of their administration from UCAS and Cam because it is Cam after all. Then after some time, I'd have taken the interview not to get into Cam, but to give them a piece of my mind. Then I decided that that would be a waste of money and never went for the interview. I'm not going for the Imperial interview either, because I'm so disgusted by the whole application process to UK, that I promised myself I'd never, ever study or teach in the UK.

Even as a UK resident I had problems myself so I do feel you

The whole UCAS process for me was a shambles especially since I had to do it by myself within a short time.
Original post by Blackstarr
How do I go on about replacing Greenwich with another university ?

Call up ucas on Monday morning.

Extra and clearing are only for applicants who don’t hold any offers. You have to give up your first five choices to use either. and they aren’t open yet so you can’t even search for vacancies.
Original post by PQ

Extra and clearing are only for applicants who don’t hold any offers. You have to give up your first five choices to use either. and they aren’t open yet so you can’t even search for vacancies.

Ok.

I thought you said i had 14 days to replace Greenwich, is that still a possibility or something else completely? i am completely lost and confused. :frown:
Ok.

I thought you said i had 14 days to replace Greenwich, is that still a possibility or something else completely? i am completely lost and confused. :frown:

Substituting a choice (by calling ucas before 14 days pass) is nothing to do with extra
Original post by PQ
Substituting a choice (by calling ucas before 14 days pass) is nothing to do with extra

Ahh, ok so i just call them up....what will they say/do?
Original post by PQ

This is off topic from this post but i don't know how to go on about proving my disability for extra time needed for my English and Maths test coming up at Middlesex.

The thing is at college i did BTEC so there was no need for extra time. Back at school I had extra time in all my exams incuding mocks.

I feel like i will be at a disadvantage if i don't get my required extra time.:frown:

I phoned them up and the guy said i will need to bring proof of my disability to get extra time. He said i would need a Doctors note/proof from the doctor or get a letter from college.

I hardly every go to the doctors but when i do i see a different person each time. I know what my disability is(moderate learning disability) but the doctor will not have that record of me. And as for my college, i think it would be wrong for them to write me something if i never sat any exams with them even though my ex tutor and other teachers do know.

I feel like i am stuck in a limbo given the timing of my admissions tests.
This is off topic from this post but i don't know how to go on about proving my disability for extra time needed for my English and Maths test coming up at Middlesex.

The thing is at college i did BTEC so there was no need for extra time. Back at school I had extra time in all my exams incuding mocks.

I feel like i will be at a disadvantage if i don't get my required extra time.:frown:

I phoned them up and the guy said i will need to bring proof of my disability to get extra time. He said i would need a Doctors note/proof from the doctor or get a letter from college.

I hardly every go to the doctors but when i do i see a different person each time. I know what my disability is(moderate learning disability) but the doctor will not have that record of me. And as for my college, i think it would be wrong for them to write me something if i never sat any exams with them even though my ex tutor and other teachers do know.

I feel like i am stuck in a limbo given the timing of my admissions tests.

If you had extra time at school then your college should also know about that and can mention that and enough information about how your disability affects you in a letter.
Original post by PQ
If you had extra time at school then your college should also know about that and can mention that and enough information about how your disability affects you in a letter.

silly question but i dont know these things. Is emailing a scanned copy of my results acceptable or do i have to post the certificate to them?
Original post by xxAFFxx
silly question but i dont know these things. Is emailing a scanned copy of my results acceptable or do i have to post the certificate to them?

It's up to the university concerned - you'll need to ask them.
Original post by savie T
I have been late applying to uni (not submitted the UCAS application yet) i emailed UCLAN and they have said it is fine :smile:

Original post by callumhowieson
Hi! I'm so excited!

Name: My name is Callum, as you might've already guessed.

What went wrong: Yesterday I applied to my universities but my teacher didn't provide a reference in time. This is mostly my fault for not giving him enough time to be honest, I'm going to write to him and formally apologise.

Courses: I'm applying to study economics.

Universities: Cardiff, Aberdeen, Stirling, Dundee, Swansea

I contacted them and they all said that if I get my reference in ASAP I should be fine :h:

Good luck to the rest of you, and thanks for making this thread PQ I think it is a brilliant idea.

Original post by xxAFFxx
Hi. This is a really good idea

Name: AFF
What went wrong: Don't know much about how UCAS works so completely messed up on the timings with getting a reference and sending it off on time. I thought I could send off my UCAS after inputting my referee details but clearly not.
Courses: History with a foundation year
Unis: Durham, Leeds, Sheffield, Notts, York.

I have just received my track log in details. Could someone tell me how i can go about emailing the unis to explain the situation?

Thanks for making this thread.

I am on a gap year and contacted my ex tutor for a reference. I put him down on ucas through my college but from there i do not know what happened.

My reference has apparently been sitting with my college as my reference section was not ticked. I have emailed my tutor countless of times but time was running out so i had to send mine off without a reference.

inb4 "you could have got someone else to do your reference"-no, i could have not as my ex tutor agreed to be my referee and it was too late by then.

I am now in the process of calling my university to explain my situation. I still can't bring myself to explain what happened.

Original post by izzy000
had the same situation.contacted my old school in november....thought I had it sorted before xmas but they never filled it out. so I followed up with a call, voicemail and email and they sent it 2weeks ago

Original post by foursides
Name: Amber :smile:
What went wrong? My reference didn't get sent to our HE administer on time, so I was sent late
Courses: Graphic Design/Graphic Communication/Graphic Design and Illustration
Universities: Greenwich, West London, LCC, Westminster, London Metropolitan

Sorry for this late reply! I was getting annoyed at how my OG thread had been derailed by a rude person and left the site for a few days

The teacher who was meant to do my reference (my tutor has been in the hospital, so she isn't available) avoided me for a few days before actually sending something off to the HE admin. (I have a feeling it's because I started contacting other teachers asking for a reference so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) Luckily I had contacted the admin before, asking her to not send my applications off till I said so since I wanted to contact the universities first. I called all of them and they all said I could still submit my application and it wouldn't be rejected just because it was late, but because they are all looked at in order of application, mine obviously wouldn't be seen as early as those who got theirs in before me, but it worked that way for all applicants. So hopefully it's all good! The universities all contacted and said they got the application on Thursday, and I'm hoping I'll get some sort of response soon!

Hi everyone

We're coming up to the UCAS deadline again and I though it would be nice to find out how you got on with your applications last year?

Did you get offers? Did you end up at university or have you changed direction? We're about to end up with a lot of worried applicants in the same situation that you were last year and you're the best people to let them know what can go wrong or right if they miss the deadline/apply without a reference:smile:
Reply 75
Name: Esme
What went wrong?: I finished my PS just before deadline. However my tutor believed that I couldn't finish before the deadline so she went to sleep. I am Chinese and GMT 18:00 is 02:00 AM here. So my application was not approved after GMT 1800. I was not aware of the approval step until my application was sent out.
Courses:Politics and Philosophy
Universities:biggrin:urham Exeter Lancaster St.Andrew(it has oversea deadline 30 June so I wouldn't worry about it)
Original post by PQ
Hi everyone

We're coming up to the UCAS deadline again and I though it would be nice to find out how you got on with your applications last year?

Did you get offers? Did you end up at university or have you changed direction? We're about to end up with a lot of worried applicants in the same situation that you were last year and you're the best people to let them know what can go wrong or right if they miss the deadline/apply without a reference:smile:

it turned out completely fine, i got an unconditional from my first choice (and offers from all my other options too) and the 'late' application literally didnt matter at all. if anyone is actually concerned, do what i did and call them up to explain and ask since that may have been what helped for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending