The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Offer

I’ve received an offer to study psychology at Durham, but I’m doing a BTEC lmao. I don’t really want to go to Durham, however do youse think it’s too much of a good opportunity to miss? (It’s the ‘best’ uni that has offered me a place, I love Northumbria but know it’s not as good in terms of reputation)

Reply 1
- I replied to your other thread.

In addition: I was in a similar situation i had the choice of a uni that was known as one of the best for student life, nights out etc. but wasn't great in terms of reputation and I also had an offer from a uni that was much better (not as good as Durham though) but the student life was not as good however, the level of uni that you go to has such an impact on what you learn, when I compare what I learnt on my degree compared to the standard of the degree I could've done (my friend chose the opposite to me) - I 100% made the correct decision. I got so many more skills and a much more robust education from the university that I attended compared to the one I would've had a better time at, and in the graduate job market that does make a difference. Especially where you have an offer from Durham which is such a prestigious institution but if you're really set on Northumbria then go for it but you may seriously regret that choice in the future, as well Durham is a nice city too and I have heard the student life is alright too having known a couple of people who went there.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Yeah I know what you mean, but it’s more than just a degree. I wanna actually enjoy going to uni, I haven’t enjoyed school or college and I don’t want another 3 years not fitting in. I’m just gonna wait until I’ve seen Durham. Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by beccakatiemullen
Yeah I know what you mean, but it’s more than just a degree. I wanna actually enjoy going to uni, I haven’t enjoyed school or college and I don’t want another 3 years not fitting in. I’m just gonna wait until I’ve seen Durham. Thanks :smile:

True, it is a trade-off. I agree it is important to have a good time but personally though I believe the quality of education should trump that. Northumbria isn't an overly a bad university (ranked 55th) and if you were this confused between choosing between there and a uni ranked within say 10 places different maybe that situation it would be worth just choosing Northumbria, but I just think where Durham is so prestigious (ranked 6th) that is a massive difference and would be a no-brainer for me if I were in you situation. That's a good idea see if there is an open/applicant/offer holder day and think of some questions about what are most important for you in advance to see if you can get re-assurance that you'll fit in there - a friend of mine who went there actually got to visit and have lunch with their head of department and other offer holders which sold the uni for them after being very unsure.

Out of interest, why do you think you'll not fit in or enjoy it there?
Please don’t just go somewhere because it has a better reputation. If you do actually like it, fair enough. Just don’t put yourself through it because it looks/ sounds better. I made that mistake and ended up dropping out after my first term because I hated it so much. I am now very happy at another university. The reputation isn’t as good but I am doing much better as I’m not sad and hating it all the time😂 Go where you want to. Going to uni as a whole is impressive, it really doesn’t matter where you go. Northumbria has a good reputation anyway if you’re that concerned. Do what you feel is right after visiting. Best of luck!
Original post by SnowBelle
Please don’t just go somewhere because it has a better reputation. If you do actually like it, fair enough. Just don’t put yourself through it because it looks/ sounds better. I made that mistake and ended up dropping out after my first term because I hated it so much. I am now very happy at another university. The reputation isn’t as good but I am doing much better as I’m not sad and hating it all the time😂 Go where you want to. Going to uni as a whole is impressive, it really doesn’t matter where you go. Northumbria has a good reputation anyway if you’re that concerned. Do what you feel is right after visiting. Best of luck!

Thank you very much, it’s good to hear that (that it is t always best to pick the best) and I believe I’d end up dropping out too! Thank you and good luck with what you’re doing!!
Original post by yt7777
True, it is a trade-off. I agree it is important to have a good time but personally though I believe the quality of education should trump that. Northumbria isn't an overly a bad university (ranked 55th) and if you were this confused between choosing between there and a uni ranked within say 10 places different maybe that situation it would be worth just choosing Northumbria, but I just think where Durham is so prestigious (ranked 6th) that is a massive difference and would be a no-brainer for me if I were in you situation. That's a good idea see if there is an open/applicant/offer holder day and think of some questions about what are most important for you in advance to see if you can get re-assurance that you'll fit in there - a friend of mine who went there actually got to visit and have lunch with their head of department and other offer holders which sold the uni for them after being very unsure.

Out of interest, why do you think you'll not fit in or enjoy it there?

I’ve just confirmed Northumbria as my firm choice. But thank you! And I don’t feel like I’d fit in due to my background/Income, I’ve literally came from nothing from being homeless and poverty to just ok now. And I know not everyone there will he from upper class but I’ve spoke to people about it and stories I’ve been told aren’t very welcoming, I’m also btec so again, I’ll be lower than everyone else there :smile:
Reply 7
I’ve just confirmed Northumbria as my firm choice. But thank you!

Well done and no worries. Maybe you should've waited until you visited Durham though? it might have been better than the picture you currently have of it.

And I don’t feel like I’d fit in due to my background/Income, I’ve literally came from nothing from being homeless and poverty to just ok now. And I know not everyone there will he from upper class but I’ve spoke to people about it and stories I’ve been told aren’t very welcoming, I’m also btec so again, I’ll be lower than everyone else there :smile:

You shouldn't feel like this, if you've worked hard to get there then you're at the same level and have the same opportunities as anyone else and I'm pretty certain you wouldn't be looked down on at all. I was never very academic through school receiving terrible grades throughout (except Maths) but worked hard after leaving school and I have never been looked down and I'm at a top 10 for my course. Maybe making a decision based on that you've just been told people aren't welcoming was a bit hasty - it's probably not the case, university is a more mature environment than that.

Same applies to the BTEC, I did a BTEC also. BTECs are the same level as A levels and if anything give you more tangible skills in comparison, no one at uni would look down on you for doing one, this stigma usually stems from immature people at college/sixth form who struggle to pass their A levels so look for a route to belittle people, uni is a different environment, going to a top university after doing one just proves these sorts of people wrong, the people who mocked me for taking a BTEC in college are at/went to far worse universities than I did and do not have the job prospects that I now do.

...And just for reference so you know, you do have 7 days if you end up changing your mind on you firm/insurance choices (After 7 days it is still possible by contacting both unis).

Quick Reply

Latest