The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mincepiemmmm
Guys I just want to chip in here and say that lots of people get good scores without buying expensive prep courses or books. Don't panic if you haven't got a grand lying around for a course.

YouTube is your best friend. It will teach you everything. Just make sure you keep on applying knowledge to questions. Any questions are helpful, and gamsat-styled ones are even better. I liked Khan Academy and Professor Dave Explains the best, but find channels you like.

I have an English degree and no experience of post-GCSE science and I got 64, 72, 50, giving a total score of 59 / 62 depending on how you calculate it. It's not the best score, but frankly it's good enough. I prepared for it around my full job, and my part time job, and fitting in enough work experience.

I had moments during my prep where I thought I was never going to be good enough in section 3 and wanted to give up, but you CAN do it and you just have to keep going.

Hey thanks for the good tips! I come from a science background but I haven't done physics since GCSEs. How do you know what to search up on youtube and what to learn? Do you have some kind of specification you follow? Your help is much appreciated!
Original post by blessedbytheone
Hey thanks for the good tips! I come from a science background but I haven't done physics since GCSEs. How do you know what to search up on youtube and what to learn? Do you have some kind of specification you follow? Your help is much appreciated!

I used the syllabus guide from the Griffiths review. You can find other suggested topic lists online for free though.

Edit - it's actually really important you have a list of key topics to target instead of just learning a whole lecture series from Youtube. I would recommend focusing your revision on learning the basics of chemistry, and then moving on to organic chemistry, physics, and MINIMAL biology. All you really need to know for biology is a few basics about cells and be comfortable with the kinds of genetics questions that they ask.

Oh and I've heard some people say they use the Letts Revise books as topic guides. These are really old books that have a summary of a topic and then pages of questions. They won't teach you enough about the subject on their own (supplement with youtube), but you can use the summary for revision and more importantly, use the questions! Here's an example of the range I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Physics-Revise-level-Glenn-Hawkins/dp/1857589319/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517316485&sr=1-5&keywords=letts+revise+a+level+physics

They are also recommended by the Griffiths review.

Here's a list my friend sent me that she said she found online:

Concepts to know:

1. Maths (VERY BASIC)

a. Measurements

i. Convert between units

ii. 1mL=1cm^3

iii. scientific notification

iv. know units

b. Operators

i. Order of operations (PEDMAS)

ii. Exponents

iii. Square and square roots

c. Equations

i. Fundamental algebra

ii. Equating equations, words to equations, manipulate units

d. Statistics

i. Basics of probability

ii. Mean and SD

e. Trigonometry

i. Apply Pythagoras theorem

ii. Manipulate cos, sin, tan ratios in equations

iii. Angles and degrees

f. Logarithms

i. Components of a logarithm

ii. Apply in context of pH and pKA

iii. Interpret graphical representations

g. Graphs

i. Interpret graphs

ii. Trends: linear, exponential, sigmoidal

iii. Significance of area under a curve ex. Velocity versus time the area under the curve is displacement

iv. Tangents to curve

v. Change in conditions effect graph

2. Physics (BASICS)

a. Vectors and scalars

i. Perform vector addition and basic trigonometry

b. Motion

i. Displacement, velocity, acceleration, circular motion, projectile motion and equations

ii. Interpret and predict graphs of motion

c. Forces

i. Understand and apply newtons laws

ii. Understand gravity, normal force, tension, torque, springs and friction

iii. Determine centre of gravity and net force affecting it

iv. F=ma

d. Energy

i. Nature of energy and conservation

ii. Rules for potential and kinetic energy

iii. Equate and resolve various forms of energy

e. Work

i. Work and W=Fd

ii. Know the relationships between work, energy and power

f. Momentum

i. Momentum and conservation

ii. Impulse and understand graphically

g. Simple machines

i. Inclined plane, pulley and lever

ii. Apply concepts of work and energy to machines

h. Fluids

i. Pressure, density, specific gravity

ii. Principle of buoyancy

iii. Predict flow of fluids

i. Solids

i. Understand thermal expansion

j. Magnetism

i. Understand/apply concepts of magnetic and electric fields

ii. Use right hand rule to predict the force of a particle

k. Electricity

i. Rules of charge

ii. Predict effect of charged particles on each other

iii. How charge through a wire is related to electric and magnetic fields

l. Circuits

i. Series and parallel circuits

ii. Resistance, current or voltage of circuits

iii. Effect of changes to circuit

m. Waves

i. Terminology and types of waves

ii. Relationship between velocity, frequency and wavelength

iii. Predict the result of interference

iv. Understand simple harmonic motion

n. Sound

i. Decibel scale

ii. Doppler effect and beat frequency

o. Light

i. Reflection and refraction

ii. Predict path of light as it traverses through different media

iii. Lenses and mirrors

iv. Predict location and dimensions of images formed by mirrors and lenses

p. Radioactivity

i. Half life

ii. Radioactive decay and properties

3. Chemistry (EXTENSIVE YEAR 1)

a. Atoms and periodic table

i. Element, simplest form of a substance (don’t confuse with substance) composed of ob

ii. Alkaline metals-highly reactive metals (blow-up in water!)

iii. Transition

iv. Nature of atoms

v. Trends in periodic table, patterns regarding atomic size and electronegativity

vi. Ionization energy, amount of energy needed to steel an electron away from an atom (low ionization energy for a weak bond)

vii. Different category of elements, features and common elements

b. Stoichiometry

i. Interconvert units especially with regard to moles and molecular weights

ii. Balance equations

c. Bonding and quantum mechanics

i. Types of bonding

1. covalent bonds, share electrons

2. ionic bonds, steals electrons

ii. Electronegativity and polarity of molecules

iii. Shapes of molecules according to VSEPR theory

iv. Effect of electron withdrawing groups

v. Hybridized bonding and how it affects bond strength

vi. Electron orbitals and quantum numbering

d. Kinetics and equilibrium

i. Understand/apply Le Chatelier’s principle

ii. Know the effect of heat, catalysist, and change in concentrations on reaction rates

iii. Calculate the rate and order of a reaction

iv. Know equivalence and equilibrium points and interpret graphically

e. States of Matter

i. Substance that cannot be separated into things

ii. Solid- fixed shape and volume

iii. Gas- occupies the space

iv. Liquid- fixed volume

v. Understand/apply the ideal gas laws to predict the deviation of real gases from the law

f. Solutions

i. Know how changed conditions will affect solubility, temperature, pH, chemical concentrations, pressure

ii. Apply Ksp values to determine solubility and precipitation

iii. Understand how chemical properties affect solubility

g. Phase changes and colligative properties

i. Understand heat capacity and specific heat

ii. Interpret phase diagrams

iii. Understand vapour pressure and Raoult’s law

iv. Understand how vapour pressure impacts boiling and melting points

v. Understand and apply the concepts of boiling point elevation and freezing point depression

h. Thermodynamics

i. Laws of thermodynamics

ii. Understand entropy, enthalpy and Gibbs Free Energy

iii. Predict whether a reaction will be spontaneous

iv. Predict whether a reaction will be exothermic or endothermic

i. Acids and bases

i. Understand what pH is and be able to calc H and OH ion concentrations

ii. Understand pKA values and how they relate to pH values

iii. Know the links between an acid or base and its conjugate

iv. Predict whether a molecule will act as an acid or base depending on its structure

v. Understand the acid base titrations graphically

vi. Understand how molecular stability, solubility and electronegativity relate to acidity

vii. Predict how an acid-base indicator will respond to a solution, given pH and pKA values

j. Electrochemisty

i. Reduction and oxidation reactions

ii. Predict which molecule will act as an oxidising agent or reducing agent

iii. Apply E values to calculate the potential of a cell and direction of a reaction

iv. Apply E values to compare reduction potentials

v. Understand the components of galvanic cell and how electrons and ions flow in such a cell

4. Organic Chemistry (very BASIC) hydroCARBON chemistry!

a. Nomenclature

i. Understand and apply IUPAC naming conventions

ii. Draw molecular structures from chemical name and vice-versa

b. Sterochemisty

i. Differentiate between isomers

ii. Chirality

iii. Enantiomers and diastereomers

iv. Visualise the rotation of molecules and determine their stereochemistry

v. Recognise Fischer and Haworth structures

vi. Apply the R-S naming system

c. Hydrocarbons

i. Alkanes, alkenes, alkynes

ii. Structure of alcohol, carboxylic acids, esters, ethers, ketones, aldehydes, amines, and amides

iii. Properties and effects of the major functional groups

d. Organic reactions

i. Resonance and tautomerisation

ii. Common organic reactions

iii. Predict the type of reaction organic molecules will undergo

iv. Apply concepts of electronegativity and acid base chemistry to organic molecules

5. Biology (BASIC but inclusive)

a. Genetics

i. Medellin genetics and construct and interpret punnet squares

ii. Basic nature of DNA and features

iii. Sexual reproduction

b. The heart

i. Physiology of heart and blood flow

ii. Pressure and volume operate in heart

iii. Predict impact of changes in heart physiology

c. The lungs

i. Physiology of lungs

ii. Process of breathing and gas exchange

iii. Predict the impact of changes in lung physiology

d. The kidneys

i. Structure and function

ii. Filtration

iii. Concentration and pressure gradients

iv. Cellular transport

e. The nervous system

i. Components of the nervous system

ii. Different nervous systems

1. ANS

2. PNS

3. CNS

iii. Feedback regulation

f. Cells

i. Parts of a cell

ii. Mitosis- single cell division to two cells, chromosomes replicate but remain attached to centriole (center) and identical DNA is pulled apart until the cell divides

iii. Meiosis- (sperm and egg cells are created this way) they only have half the DNA, first chromosomes replicate, matched pairs align themselves at centromere some DNA may be passed between matched pairs (crossover) cell divides and divides again.

1. Meiosis 1 first division

2. Meiosis 2 second division leaves 4 daughter cells with 1 half of DNA in each 4 cells

iv. osmosis

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 42
Hey I'd be interested in that!

Awesome, can you message me your email and phone number, so I can add you in the group?
Reply 43
Im currently doing respiratory physiology did my Alevels 2 years ago had BBB in maths chesmitry and biology so im not too bothered with section 3. but i did UKCAT 2years ago and got 2600 so i am really scared about the section 1 and 2 which involves essay and reading stuff. looking to take my GAMSAT in september any idea where to get cheap resource now so i can practice alot before hand?. if there are any group going around someone pls direct me in the right direction. thanks.
Original post by judeogbokor
Im currently doing respiratory physiology did my Alevels 2 years ago had BBB in maths chesmitry and biology so im not too bothered with section 3. but i did UKCAT 2years ago and got 2600 so i am really scared about the section 1 and 2 which involves essay and reading stuff. looking to take my GAMSAT in september any idea where to get cheap resource now so i can practice alot before hand?. if there are any group going around someone pls direct me in the right direction. thanks.

I don't think UKCAT performance correlates with GAMSAT performance very much.

I'm terrible at the UKCAT. I did it 4 times before I finally scored enough to get an interview at Warwick this year (still only got 692.5 average though). I did much better in sections 1 and 2 of the GAMSAT despite doing poorly in the UKCAT verbal reasoning (this year I got 800 in QR, which pulled my average up; I got something like 640/650 in VR).

I know others who have got nowhere sitting the UKCAT but sat the GAMSAT and got 4 interviews. GAMSAT is largely a test of your endurance during the preparation stage, while UKCAT remains a mystery to me. If you put a solid amount of work into the GAMSAT you will likely do ok.
Reply 45
I don't think UKCAT performance correlates with GAMSAT performance very much.

I'm terrible at the UKCAT. I did it 4 times before I finally scored enough to get an interview at Warwick this year (still only got 692.5 average though). I did much better in sections 1 and 2 of the GAMSAT despite doing poorly in the UKCAT verbal reasoning (this year I got 800 in QR, which pulled my average up; I got something like 640/650 in VR).

I know others who have got nowhere sitting the UKCAT but sat the GAMSAT and got 4 interviews. GAMSAT is largely a test of your endurance during the preparation stage, while UKCAT remains a mystery to me. If you put a solid amount of work into the GAMSAT you will likely do ok.

i might just not do ukcat and remove the university that requires it from my selection
i might just not do ukcat and remove the university that requires it from my selection

That's not a terrilble idea, but it is definitely possible to get better at the UKCAT. I can't even remember what I got the first time I sat it but it was low 600s, whereas this year I was 83rd percentile.

My strategy last year was to allocate around 6 weeks of my GAMSAT prep to focusing on UKCAT alongside some relatively light GAMSAT revision (I think I did biology at this point? Or some section 1 practice? I don't actually remember). I sat the UKCAT on the first day of testing (early July) so I could decide whether to just drop the UKCAT unis and focus on GAMSAT for the next 2.5 months if it didn't go well.

Also as a non-scientist with no science A levels I struggled to fill my choices without doing both exams....
Reply 47
That's not a terrilble idea, but it is definitely possible to get better at the UKCAT. I can't even remember what I got the first time I sat it but it was low 600s, whereas this year I was 83rd percentile.

My strategy last year was to allocate around 6 weeks of my GAMSAT prep to focusing on UKCAT alongside some relatively light GAMSAT revision (I think I did biology at this point? Or some section 1 practice? I don't actually remember). I sat the UKCAT on the first day of testing (early July) so I could decide whether to just drop the UKCAT unis and focus on GAMSAT for the next 2.5 months if it didn't go well.

Also as a non-scientist with no science A levels I struggled to fill my choices without doing both exams....

good advice i will drop wales and put in warwick and then just do UKCAT in early summer giving me 2months to prep for GAMSAT
Hey just wanted to pop in give my 2 cents about the gamsat. I read a lot of these forums before I sat it and they did freak me out as a bit as some people said they had revised for 5 hours a day every day for 6 months etc...I revised maybe an hour a day (not every day) for 2 months and got 71. I agree with mincepiemmmm that its not necessary to fork out for an expensive course (I really wish they didn't exist, I think it's pretty *****y they do- no judgement if you can afford it though)- but I did use the Des O'Neill books which i attribute my score to (especially section 2). I got a photocopied version from ebay for £25, and printed it out in sections at work.
For section 1 I worked through the majority of the question bank in the Des O'Neill book. By checking the answers you start to get a feel for what they are looking for. Some people say reading is very helpful for this section and section 2. I think reading widely is useful anyway but if you're short on time I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think it helps a lot to do practice questions and you just get a sixth sense for what they want.
For section 2 I actually didn't practice writing any essays which was a bit risky but I didn't have the time. I got 75 though. I read a lot of the examples in the Des book and made notes on what they recommended. I wouldn't have had a clue what the GAMSAT markers were looking for without having had that guidance!
For section 3 I got the Letts revision guides to guide the curriculum. Mostly it was just refreshing my knowledge, but physics I had to learn from scratch a bit. It's very useful being comfortable with your mental maths as you won't have time to double check working out and can't spend ages doing simple sums either. Particularly with this section (although applicable to the others too) you have to get in the mindset. The best way to improve your score is to answer as much as possible- some questions of course will require a bit more time, but if you're struggling, move on. If you know balancing equations takes you ages for example, leave those out.
On the day: don't panic, walk there to get your blood flowing, sit up straight in your seat, breathe deeply and smile; its just an exam, there's always next year ! Good luck!
I used the syllabus guide from the Griffiths review. You can find other suggested topic lists online for free though.

Edit - it's actually really important you have a list of key topics to target instead of just learning a whole lecture series from Youtube. I would recommend focusing your revision on learning the basics of chemistry, and then moving on to organic chemistry, physics, and MINIMAL biology. All you really need to know for biology is a few basics about cells and be comfortable with the kinds of genetics questions that they ask.

Oh and I've heard some people say they use the Letts Revise books as topic guides. These are really old books that have a summary of a topic and then pages of questions. They won't teach you enough about the subject on their own (supplement with youtube), but you can use the summary for revision and more importantly, use the questions! Here's an example of the range I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Physics-Revise-level-Glenn-Hawkins/dp/1857589319/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517316485&sr=1-5&keywords=letts+revise+a+level+physics

They are also recommended by the Griffiths review.

Here's a list my friend sent me that she said she found online:

Concepts to know:

Hey thanks for that! You have just saved me loaaaaaaaaads of time. Cheers!
Original post by orchid124
Hey just wanted to pop in give my 2 cents about the gamsat. I read a lot of these forums before I sat it and they did freak me out as a bit as some people said they had revised for 5 hours a day every day for 6 months etc...I revised maybe an hour a day (not every day) for 2 months and got 71. I agree with mincepiemmmm that its not necessary to fork out for an expensive course (I really wish they didn't exist, I think it's pretty *****y they do- no judgement if you can afford it though)- but I did use the Des O'Neill books which i attribute my score to (especially section 2). I got a photocopied version from ebay for £25, and printed it out in sections at work.
For section 1 I worked through the majority of the question bank in the Des O'Neill book. By checking the answers you start to get a feel for what they are looking for. Some people say reading is very helpful for this section and section 2. I think reading widely is useful anyway but if you're short on time I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think it helps a lot to do practice questions and you just get a sixth sense for what they want.
For section 2 I actually didn't practice writing any essays which was a bit risky but I didn't have the time. I got 75 though. I read a lot of the examples in the Des book and made notes on what they recommended. I wouldn't have had a clue what the GAMSAT markers were looking for without having had that guidance!
For section 3 I got the Letts revision guides to guide the curriculum. Mostly it was just refreshing my knowledge, but physics I had to learn from scratch a bit. It's very useful being comfortable with your mental maths as you won't have time to double check working out and can't spend ages doing simple sums either. Particularly with this section (although applicable to the others too) you have to get in the mindset. The best way to improve your score is to answer as much as possible- some questions of course will require a bit more time, but if you're struggling, move on. If you know balancing equations takes you ages for example, leave those out.
On the day: don't panic, walk there to get your blood flowing, sit up straight in your seat, breathe deeply and smile; its just an exam, there's always next year ! Good luck!

Aw sweet! I am glad you did amazingly well. Just wanted to enquire about the Des O'neil books you mentioned. Do they have any titles ? Forgive me if this is an obvious question, this would be my first Gamsat sitting and I have 7 months to prep alongside other commitments.
Reply 51
Original post by orchid124

Can you please message me in regards to the resources you used for the preparation? Or just send me link or names of it. Just to point me i n the right direction. Thanks
Aw sweet! I am glad you did amazingly well. Just wanted to enquire about the Des O'neil books you mentioned. Do they have any titles ? Forgive me if this is an obvious question, this would be my first Gamsat sitting and I have 7 months to prep alongside other commitments.

Can you please message me in regards to the resources you used for the preparation? Or just send me link or names of it. Just to point me i n the right direction. Thanks

Ah thanks! I don't want to sound boastful- just want to give people confidence that it can be done if you're focussed with your time. Not an obvious question- it's a bit confusing getting your head around all the prep guides (I heard a lot of mixed things about the gold standard one). I think it's called the Des O'Neil GamsetPrep Red series? They aren't releasing any new editions, think the one I got was the latest edition from a few years ago, but it was still applicable. The quality wasn't amazing as it was a photocopy but on the whole it was fine, and for such a small fraction of the price it was great. I guess different things will work for different people, but that did work for me.

I got it on ebay, that seller is no longer active. But I'm sure with some clever googling you should be able to find it?
Reply 53
Hi, Id love to take a look at the GRADMED material also please!!
Reply 54
I'm taking the March 2018 gamsat, I keep hearing that the themes for section 2a/b overlap each year, anyone know what these are?
(edited 6 years ago)
I work full time in London too!! I am really keen to see if anyone wants to get together and do GAMSAT/UKCAT revision?? I am planning on applying to start graduate medicine in September 19! :smile:

Anyone in SE London?

Original post by arindamdgp
Hi All ,

Thought I'd start this thread . Planning to (depending on how confident/prepared ) sit GAMSAT 2018 March or September . Also planning to start a MSc in Sept 2018 .

I have decided to start from scratch .
Section III- A level Chemistry /A level biology/A-level Physics , doing the revision guide books.
Section I/II - Lots of reading , news/Ted talks /Poetry /Cartoons/Private Eye /New Statesman /Independent /Evening Standard.

Today I made a mistake of looking at the Gamsat-prep mock questions , feels like I am horribly short of pattern recognition . But I'll keep my hopes high.
Also thinking of Chemistry A-levels /stumbling block being the practical exams. This requires a lot of organisation of time.

Oh Yes and I have a full time demanding job too...May the lord help me .

Any fellow londoners out there ?. please give me a shout .
Reply 56
Yea I've made one but twas from here tho for £15. I mean it's a secure stuff but if you wants him to send you the stuff first check then pay.. that's what I did
Yea I've made one but twas from here tho for £15. I mean it's a secure stuff but if you wants him to send you the stuff first check then pay.. that's what I did

It is quite hard to know whether someone is being truthful and gumtree advises people to not wire money. So I might just leave it.
Original post by sanasajid786
Hi....i am selling des oniel course if you are interested? thanks

Hi, have you sold the material yet? I am interested🙋*♀️
Original post by Gingerninja27
I work full time in London too!! I am really keen to see if anyone wants to get together and do GAMSAT/UKCAT revision?? I am planning on applying to start graduate medicine in September 19! :smile:

Anyone in SE London?

I also work full time, really struggling to find time but I am trying my best. I would have loved to team up with someone for revision but I live in North London. How are you managing so far?

Latest

Trending

Trending