The Student Room Group

What's Government and Politics A-Level like?

Hi,
Anyone who studied government and politics at A-Level did you enjoy it and recommend it? What exactly is the government section of it, like learning about the constitution etc. and is that just as interesting? Also is it a lot of workload and does it involve a lot of debating etc.? And finally what sorts of questions are the exams on?
Thanks so much!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi! I've moved this into the Govt and Pol forum for you :h: Someone should be able to help you out here :smile:
I really enjoy studying Politics! pm me if you want any info :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by brb revising
I really enjoy studying Politics! pm me if you want any info :smile:
please can you tell me what politics is about in detail
I absolutely love it :smile: obviously it depends what exam board you do but for me (I do edexcel) we do topics about elections, political parties, feminism, constitution, global politics and other stuff, it’s really varied! It's a tricky A level because it's really vital you keep up to date with current affairs otherwise you'll potentially be behind quite easily. The exams are all essay based for me but personally I don’t mind that but it is important to factor that in. Overall it's great and I’d 100% recommend it - does depend what other subjects you're doing as well to be fair, have you decided on any other A level options yet?? Xx
Original post by confusednerd
Hi,
Anyone who studied government and politics at A-Level did you enjoy it and recommend it? What exactly is the government section of it, like learning about the constitution etc. and is that just as interesting? Also is it a lot of workload and does it involve a lot of debating etc.? And finally what sorts of questions are the exams on?
Thanks so much!

Its interesting but pretty shite, the amount of outside reading you have to do is too much in my opinion and if you get stuck with a poor teacher then you are utterly ****ed as self teaching this subject is harder than my **** after the scene in transformers where megan fox is all bent over the car
Reply 6
Original post by lauren7940
Its interesting but pretty shite, the amount of outside reading you have to do is too much in my opinion and if you get stuck with a poor teacher then you are utterly ****ed as self teaching this subject is harder than my **** after the scene in transformers where megan fox is all bent over the car

This is the situation I'm in now in year 13. Self-teaching sny subject is just crap
lol its boring as ****
i thought i was interested in politics but realised that I'm reallllllly not after studying it,
now im suffering 6 weeks before the exam :biggrin:
yh, i did it last year but dropped it, you have to do a lot of outside reading cause the textbook we used was out of date and the next year they were doing a new syllabus so I had to look at a lot of newspaper articles and stuff, It was interesting but theres a lot of work and we were constantly changing teachers so that didnt help
i take politics and i hate it lol. i'm doing aqa and i enjoyed AS a bit, all about britian but this year is US and is boring af
Original post by confusednerd
Hi,
Thanks so much!

You should be aware that, albeit obvious to some, it's government AND politics. Voting behaviour and social political science is often a weaker area to some than the government side, and vice-versa!

Make sure you're well tuned in to both areas of the specification before you make your decision.
I generally am interested in the A2 year (which is about US politics, I found AS boring that is about UK politics), however it is extremely content heavy, and there is way more information to know for it that say English Language which I am also doing and am finding easy. If you like working hard go for it but if you just want something easy find another subject
Reply 12
honest opinion is that I started as a really eager Politics student and have (almost) come out of it with all the passion sucked out. disclaimer that i did edexcel 3c and 4c, easily the most boring spec LOL. though im pretty sure the curriculum has completely changed, hope these tips help.

1. it is NOT a soft subject - the workload is intense and keeping up to date with examples is crucial.
2. don't expect to constantly have fun debates. i only had around 3 in my 2 years of politics.
3. imo, your experience really depends on the teacher you have. if you have a good history/politics department, go for it, if not, i wouldn't bother. the content can easily become difficult and boring in the hands of a *****y teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending