The Student Room Group

Southampton or UCL for Electronic and Electrical Engineering

I have offers from Southampton for Electronic Engineering with Compter Systems from Southampton (A*AA) Electronic And Electrical Engineering from UCL. I am struggling to decide what to make my firm offer.

Southampton course modules look far more interesting and wider with a good choice options than UCL.

I am an overseas student so have had not been able to visit the universities on open days

League tables show Southampton to be tad better than UCL, hiwever Southampton has been consistent and UCL has slowly climed the ladder to get one below for 2018. Overall UCL is much better known and ranked.

I am thinking of most probably continuing my studies after the Meng to a Phd.

Like to hear from you out there you veiws

1) how is studying at Southampton and UCL, are lecturers good a d supportive, how about the facilities such as labs etc.
2) does either give you a better chance of employment after the Meng due its reputation
3) does reputation matter if you are looking at continuing your studies to a Phd
Reply 1
Original post by Dumi2508
Southampton course modules look far more interesting and wider with a good choice options than UCL.

You've answered your own question then :wink:

And either are fine if you plan on continuing to a PhD.

However you have until May to decide. There's no rush. And even though you are international you really should try to (re)visit both universities to help you decide. You will be investing a LOT of £€$ (and time) in this - it's best to see what you are "buying" before you commit.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply

Original post by Doonesbury
You've answered your own question then :wink:

And either are fine if you plan on continuing to a PhD.

However you have until May to decide. There's no rush. And even though you are international you really should try to (re)visit both universities to help you decide. You will be investing a LOT of £€$ (and time) in this - it's best to see what you are "buying" before you commit.

Quick Reply

Latest