The Student Room Group

Which ACCA Distance Learning provider is the best at the moment

Hi Everyone

I am currently a stay at home mother ( 35+ ) of my nearly 3 year old and 11 month old. In 2007 I joined my partner in his very successful small retail business. Within a few years I found myself pretty much running the shop floor (directing staff, merchandising , buying, costing and deciding our price, looking for the next big product, advising customers, inputting invoices on Microsoft Dynamics RMS, running sales reports etc.) as he decided to tap into and grow the internet side of things (Facebook, newsletters and everything the mail order involved ).
However after 10 years it was time to be parents and we sold our business 18 months ago.
I am looking for information and hopefully guidance to a new beginning. I am considering ACCA. My long term aim is to be self-employed in order to work around school pick-ups and drop-offs.
My question is with all the distance learning providers out there which one is the best? I almost narrowed it down to Kaplan and First Intuition and then I found other sites such as Open Tuition and HTFT Partnership. Has anybody else taken this route and which provider was the chosen one. Thank you

Many thanks
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Thank you
BPP maybe?
Reply 4
Original post by Lord Nutter
BPP maybe?

I have been suggested that BPP can be dry reading compared to First Intuition and Kaplan. Have you got any personal experience studying with BPP and what course are you studying. Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by Picuri
Hi Everyone

I am currently a stay at home mother ( 35+ ) of my nearly 3 year old and 11 month old. In 2007 I joined my partner in his very successful small retail business. Within a few years I found myself pretty much running the shop floor (directing staff, merchandising , buying, costing and deciding our price, looking for the next big product, advising customers, inputting invoices on Microsoft Dynamics RMS, running sales reports etc.) as he decided to tap into and grow the internet side of things (Facebook, newsletters and everything the mail order involved ).
However after 10 years it was time to be parents and we sold our business 18 months ago.
I am looking for information and hopefully guidance to a new beginning. I am considering ACCA. My long term aim is to be self-employed in order to work around school pick-ups and drop-offs.
My question is with all the distance learning providers out there which one is the best? I almost narrowed it down to Kaplan and First Intuition and then I found other sites such as Open Tuition and HTFT Partnership. Has anybody else taken this route and which provider was the chosen one. Thank you

Many thanks

Hi, I've used BPP and Kaplan and found the study books hard work and I think that they have too much content. I've recently discovered Open Tuition -

https://opentuition.com/

The course notes and lectures are free so I've only had to pay for the Exam revision book and to book the exam! Great so far, could be worth a look :smile:

I'm a working single mum and I find this way much easier. They give you what you need to pass the exam rather than a massive book with everything and it's dog in to trawl through.

Good luck :smile:
I am a very experienced ACCA teacher and I teach extremely well. I can tutor you from the beginning of ACCA over skype and you will pay me after each class.

Feel free to contact me.

Skype me on Skype at: ACCA Skype Tutor
or Facebook me at: Last Discovery
Online learning is about finding someone who fits your personal preferences.
1. Do you like independent study, or do you need tutor support? If study is easy for you, then buy a dry text and a revision kit and put in the work.
2. Are you looking for up to date learning materials? Slick static content (like high quality video) is expensive, so is rarely re-shot. It can be very dated.
3. Do you want tutor access? Will that tutor support be any good? Ask before you buy. With big players the tutor who supports you is often on a wage, so just wants you off the line asap. Independent tutors often give more support than the big players - but are they any good? Look around.

Summary: If you are after a good trainer, then don't be seduced by the brand marketing - pick your tutor not your brand.I've been training professional exams for 30 years, as trainer, examiner, marker etc. and run an online training platform.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi,Can you contact me on Skype: madziaa.01, i have few questions.RegardsMagda
Reply 9
I do not known how things will work out but I am trying eagles. you basically pay for the year and have access to what ever course you want. Level by level of course. I have not yet done any exam so I will have to let you know if the structure work. but so far if you are good at organising yourself it has been easy.
Hi there thanks for this message ,I am also a single mom who is looking to start ACCA course ,I think I should also try open tuition if you say you can learn for free and get all you need to pass the Exams.If I may ask did you also have to register with the Open tuition for the Exams ?or you are registered with a different Institution?Thanks for your time!
Reply 11
What about the official ACCA site orovidibg free courses called Acca X??
Reply 12
Hi. I was looking into this recently. I was just wondering how you were getting on with Eagles? Any feedback you can give would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 13
Hi! I stumbled across your question here while looking back on this post.

I have used Eagle myself for 1 exam.

Pros:
- Access to entire content for a subscription - this means that you have access to all textbooks and revision kits from Kaplan, as well as integrated work books (IWB's) that are used in conjunction with the on-demand video lectures
- Access to Osborne Books via Eagle, meaning that you can access all your study material in PDF format online
- Discount code if you would want to purchase the physical study and revision kit
- Access to Kaplan's on demand video course (Eagle are a subsidiary of Kaplan!)
- Access to practice and revision material
- The on-demand lectures are good quality and can help if you prefer a classroom-style of learning
- Eagle allows you to test the subscription for 7-days, free-of-charge
- You have the option of tiered-plans: monthly/qaurterly/yearly
- You are assigned a mentor
- Access to student support, who tend to respond within less than 24 hours for any academic queries
Cons:
- The way the system is set-up does not allow you to track revision progress via the Kaplan-linked resource, it resets every time you use it. Inconsequential if you don't mind not having to track your progress that way
- Price tag: £530 for a full year's subscription. This does not include exam fee and subscription fees
- In my experience, the on-demand videos will give you enough just to pass. I frequently had to review the section of the text relating to the video when it came to revision (attempting questions). In this regard, you might find open tuition more comprehensive (of course, not overly detailed, either).
- Mentor/mentee communication can be quite sporadic

Personally, I prefer to work with as much detail when preparing for an exam, so I opted to leave the Eagle subscription. Would I recommend it? If you have the money, of course.
Reply 14
After leaving Eagle who did you go with?
Reply 15
Original post by EveLVB
I do not known how things will work out but I am trying eagles. you basically pay for the year and have access to what ever course you want. Level by level of course. I have not yet done any exam so I will have to let you know if the structure work. but so far if you are good at organising yourself it has been easy.

How is it going now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending