The Student Room Group

Should Halal meat be banned in the UK?

Hi!
I ask this question because when I read lots of comments about Halal meat, people say it is a lot better than normal methods.
I too was a believer of this myself as I was sure the animal was fully stunned first.

That was until I bumped into an old friend and we got chatting. He works at a normal slaughterhouse, but sometimes fills in for staff in Halal slaughterhouses.
From what I’ve been told by him genuinely made me feel sick. He says himself that Halal is much more cruel and sad.
He tells me most of the time the blades that cut the throats are blunt, which no access to sharpen them, and so have to violently ‘saw’ into the throats with their blunt knifes.
He also mentioned that on numerous occasions workers (speaking in arabic) often didn’t stun the animal, even though they are actually supposed to.

I thought I’d just share this as this guy has actually been there and done it, so he knows.

What’s people’s thoughts?

Would like to point out he made it very clear to me several times that normal slaughterhouses, whilst still rather gross, were much more ethical than the Halal ones he’s been to.

Scroll to see replies

Heeeere we go.
Reply 2
Original post by CastCuraga
Heeeere we go.

You haven’t even read it???
You know what, people on here KEEP ASKING so I'm just gonna say it:

YES.

There.
Original post by Woksin
You haven’t even read it???

I have. I don't have an opinion either way, I just know this is the kind of topic that drives TSR into a ****storm lmao.
Reply 5
Original post by Bang Outta Order
You know what, people on here KEEP ASKING so I'm just gonna say it:

YES.

There.

Did you actually read what I put 🙄
Original post by Woksin
Hi!
I ask this question because when I read lots of comments about Halal meat, people say it is a lot better than normal methods.
I too was a believer of this myself as I was sure the animal was fully stunned first.

That was until I bumped into an old friend and we got chatting. He works at a normal slaughterhouse, but sometimes fills in for staff in Halal slaughterhouses.
From what I’ve been told by him genuinely made me feel sick. He says himself that Halal is much more cruel and sad.
He tells me most of the time the blades that cut the throats are blunt, which no access to sharpen them, and so have to violently ‘saw’ into the throats with their blunt knifes.
He also mentioned that on numerous occasions workers (speaking in arabic) often didn’t stun the animal, even though they are actually supposed to.

I thought I’d just share this as this guy has actually been there and done it, so he knows.

What’s people’s thoughts?

Would like to point out he made it very clear to me several times that normal slaughterhouses, whilst still rather gross, were much more ethical than the Halal ones he’s been to.

Well this is only anecdotal and a sharp blade is supposed to be used in Halal Meat.
Reply 7
I have. I don't have an opinion either way, I just know this is the kind of topic that drives TSR into a shitstorm lmao.

I don’t understand how you read it so quickly, literally replied 40 seconds after I posted it.
Either way, just wanted to know ur opinion
Original post by Woksin
I don’t understand how you read it so quickly, literally replied 40 seconds after I posted it.
Either way, just wanted to know ur opinion

I'm a very quick reader.

Honestly, I don't have a strong opinion either way. Get rid of it and you alienate a fair of British society, and instead of fixing the problem it's more likely it'll just continue underground or something, where it can get even worse. On the other hand it's a pretty barbaric thing I wouldn't personally want at all. If it didn't exist in the first place I wouldn't miss it.

I think banning it would cause the problem to just continue quietly rather than actually end, I guess. So I can't advocate in either direction.
According to Muslims' beliefs, blades must actually be sharp enough to avoid torturing the animal, so what they are doing is not actually "Halal". There is also no problem of stunning as long as the animal will be alive and not dead of stunning.

Instead of banning Halal meat, these guys should correct their procedures and the city should monitor their operations. Regulating is always better than banning in my opinion.
Original post by JMR2018
Well this is only anecdotal and a sharp blade is supposed to be used in Halal Meat.

A sharp blade is supposed to be used, according to Islamic teachings-to put the animal through minimal pain possible
Reply 11
I'm a very quick reader.

Honestly, I don't have a strong opinion either way. Get rid of it and you alienate a fair of British society, and instead of fixing the problem it's more likely it'll just continue underground or something, where it can get even worse. On the other hand it's a pretty barbaric thing I wouldn't personally want at all. If it didn't exist in the first place I wouldn't miss it.

I think banning it would cause the problem to just continue quietly rather than actually end, I guess. So I can't advocate in either direction.

Good response! Needs much better regulation, like with most things I guess
Reply 12
Original post by osnapitzibby
A sharp blade is supposed to be used, according to Islamic teachings-to put the animal through minimal pain possible

But if these houses aren’t using them, then doesnt that cause a huge ethical concern?
Reply 13
Original post by ashrafkotb
According to Muslims' beliefs, blades must actually be sharp enough to avoid torturing the animal, so what they are doing is not actually "Halal". There is also no problem of stunning as long as the animal will be alive and not dead of stunning.

Instead of banning Halal meat, these guys should correct their procedures and the city should monitor their operations. Regulating is always better than banning in my opinion.

Maybe I didn’t make it clear about the stunning, it was that they didn’t bother stunning them, like at all. The reason i said speaking in arabic too was because From what I gather, they’re from islamic countries where they just don’t stun? Maybe
Original post by Woksin
But if these houses aren’t using them, then doesnt that cause a huge ethical concern?

Well then the authorities should deal with the abattoirs that are breaking the rules, but that doesn't mean banning Halal meat lol.
Original post by Woksin

Well, banning Halal meat will obv cause an uproar and all. I just think they should be monitored and watched to ensure they're usin the correct method etc.
I don't think the use of blunt blades is the same everywhere, but either way you're killing the animal. I think killing an animal is more cruel than using a certain blade to do it.
Reply 17
Original post by JMR2018
Well then the authorities should deal with the abattoirs that are breaking the rules, but that doesn't mean banning Halal meat lol.

Yes the authorities should do! Thought they seem to be failing somewhat, sadly.
I've heard that there are 3 veins in the throat of animals and one of them actually gives pleasure when cut. So although it lools cruel, the animal doesn't suffer. It's better than electrocution or however else you use it.
Original post by Woksin
Maybe I didn’t make it clear about the stunning, it was that they didn’t bother stunning them, like at all. The reason i said speaking in arabic too was because From what I gather, they’re from islamic countries where they just don’t stun? Maybe

Well, maybe. In all cases, I prefer things to be regulated like everything else. Banning might actually make the things worse since almost no Muslims (or Jews in case of Kosher) would eat non-Halal / Kosher meat, so as the gentleman said above, they will go underground and the issue will become even worse!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending