The Student Room Group

What is the minimum word count for the EPQ?

Im doing the AQA (7993) spec and I can't seem to find out what the minimum word count is. What is it usually?
Original post by TerribleGrades
Im doing the AQA (7993) spec and I can't seem to find out what the minimum word count is. What is it usually?

I don't know if there is one set by AQA but my college has said give or take 10% from the suggested 5000 so the minimum would be 4500 and max 5500. Obviously it would be best to keep it as close to 5000 as possible though!

Hope I've helped!
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I don't know if there is one set by AQA but my college has said give or take 10% from the suggested 5000 so the minimum would be 4500 and max 5500. Obviously it would be best to keep it as close to 5000 as possible though!

Hope I've helped!

I've only done around 2,132 words so far! How am I going to get to the 5,000 word count. *secretly cries inside*
I've only done around 2,132 words so far! How am I going to get to the 5,000 word count. *secretly cries inside*

I was struggling to get to it to so I added an extra section to help me reach it! I put in a section on methodology which just explained why I was mainly using secondary sources and how I did my primary research. That added in a good couple hundred words! Have you done a literature review? If not, add it into the essay and if you have, cover more sources.

Just keep going dude I'm sure you can do it!
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I was struggling to get to it to so I added an extra section to help me reach it! I put in a section on methodology which just explained why I was mainly using secondary sources and how I did my primary research. That added in a good couple hundred words! Have you done a literature review? If not, add it into the essay and if you have, cover more sources.

Just keep going dude I'm sure you can do it!

Thanks. may I ask what grade you got for it?

That indicates your level of research and depth of analysis is insufficient.

Try planning in properly and writing 9 sections of 500 words.
Original post by 999tigger
That indicates your level of research and depth of analysis is insufficient.

Try planning in properly and writing 9 sections of 500 words.

Not really, I just haven't done my methodology, conclusion or finished my literature review. I was going on the assumption that the EPQ was 3,000 anyway.

What I'm struggling on is my primary data, I don't think I can do anything as the nature of my question is not something I can directly test or measure. What do you do in cases like this?
Not really, I just haven't done my methodology, conclusion or finished my literature review. I was going on the assumption that the EPQ was 3,000 anyway.

What I'm struggling on is my primary data, I don't think I can do anything as the nature of my question is not something I can directly test or measure. What do you do in cases like this?

Not enough information. What you have at the moment sounds inadequate. I wouldnt submit less than 4,000 and id probably be bang on 5000..
Talk to your tutor for some guidance.. the plan and structure are all in your control.

What is your question? We might be able to help in a more relevant way to your topic if we know what it is is
Original post by MissMathsxo
What is your question? We might be able to help in a more relevant way to your topic if we know what it is is

My question is 'How does the Ebola virus of 2014-16 highlight the significance of infection control in epidemics?'
My question is 'How does the Ebola virus of 2014-16 highlight the significance of infection control in epidemics?'

Your primary research could come from talking to a local university professor or a biologist who works in the field. A lot of my friends did this over a phone call one day so doesn't take long. If that's not appealing to you then you can make a primary research table. Have you considered making a list of all action taking during the outbreak, time taken to implement, impact etc. You can get this stuff online probably but because you make the table it counts as primary research
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks. may I ask what grade you got for it?

I haven't finished it yet but I'm aiming for at least an A!

I have a similar question where primary data was difficult to gather but I got mine from emailing a bunch of researchers in the field. What you can do is just look on a bunch of uni websites and they usually have a list of staff and what they cover/research. Just make a list of questions and send it to a few, you may be surprised to find out many really do want to help! You can then quote anything they say, put the emails in an appendix and discuss your data in the methodology section. I got 3/9 responses and one didn't work cause I kept getting out of office emails back lmao so the odds you'll get at least one reply is good!

Quick Reply

Latest