The Student Room Group

Disappointing RMPS Prelim Result...

I recently got back my RMPS Prelim result: No Award (26%, 4/20 for Buddhism and 2/20 for Origins, iirc).

Originally I was working Nat5 level but after not receiving the grades expected from S5 I decided to crash Higher in S6 this year. I really need to get high grades in order to get into university (the only Higher I have is an A in English, all my other A's are Nat5 level).

Is there any way I can turn this around? If so, does anyone have any advice or links to anything useful that could help me?
I just got my results back from my prelim and I got a b ( I do Buddhism, morality and justice and origins.)

What I learned was that I’m too concise when writing. My tip would be learn to write like PEE ( point, explain, example) or something similar where you make a general point then continue to go into greater depth with examples.

Other than that know your stuff learn what everything means and you will find that you have a lot more to talk about.
Original post by carrie_burns
I recently got back my RMPS Prelim result: No Award (26%, 4/20 for Buddhism and 2/20 for Origins, iirc).

Originally I was working Nat5 level but after not receiving the grades expected from S5 I decided to crash Higher in S6 this year. I really need to get high grades in order to get into university (the only Higher I have is an A in English, all my other A's are Nat5 level).

Is there any way I can turn this around? If so, does anyone have any advice or links to anything useful that could help me?

Do you wear a kilt?

Hi! I'm currently sitting Higher RMPS too :smile: I got an A at Nat 5, and a low B in the prelim this year.
The things I missed marks on was really evaluation.

You must, MUST make your point, explain your point, give an example (literally anything from the Bible, Dhammapada, quotes from Scientists (for Origins) and then EVALUATE. "I believe....I think...This is valid because...." and so on. Also, learn the different types of exam questions. Evaluation and Analysis 10 markers are very differently written!

Make sure you know your stuff. KU marks are very easy to pick up on, so long as you're just stating the facts. Look up formulas/structures for each type of essay and make notes, and try and do at least one practice essay a week.

The exam is very late into May (the 28th) so you have plenty of time, but it is lots of work. I hope your assignment goes/went well, if you've not done it yet, as this will also boost your grade.. What's your topic?
ly
Original post by TigerLilly11
I just got my results back from my prelim and I got a b ( I do Buddhism, morality and justice and origins.)

What I learned was that I’m too concise when writing. My tip would be learn to write like PEE ( point, explain, example) or something similar where you make a general point then continue to go into greater depth with examples.

Other than that know your stuff learn what everything means and you will find that you have a lot more to talk about.

Ah, like in Modern Studies, right? I never thought of that before, thanks!

Original post by flwerofscotland
Hi! I'm currently sitting Higher RMPS too :smile: I got an A at Nat 5, and a low B in the prelim this year.
The things I missed marks on was really evaluation.

You must, MUST make your point, explain your point, give an example (literally anything from the Bible, Dhammapada, quotes from Scientists (for Origins) and then EVALUATE. "I believe....I think...This is valid because...." and so on. Also, learn the different types of exam questions. Evaluation and Analysis 10 markers are very differently written!

Make sure you know your stuff. KU marks are very easy to pick up on, so long as you're just stating the facts. Look up formulas/structures for each type of essay and make notes, and try and do at least one practice essay a week.

The exam is very late into May (the 28th) so you have plenty of time, but it is lots of work. I hope your assignment goes/went well, if you've not done it yet, as this will also boost your grade.. What's your topic?

Yeah, I'm really thankful that it's so late, I actually have about two weeks between it and my second-to-last exam, phew!

As for my assignment, I think I did rather well with it! I was looking into whether euthanasia should be officially legalized in the UK and looked into Christian, Buddhist and Hindu views of it. Did you know that, because it's viewed as good palliative care, passive euthanasia isn't actually legal here even though it's technically carried out? Wild.
The thing to remember when you get a poor prelim result is that it is the best time to mess up. You need to think about where it went wrong. Such a low mark suggests to me that either your preparation was insufficient or that you did not answer the question and lost out big time as a result. 4/20 for Buddhism is poor as you know. At the very least you should have been able to get 8/20 for simply writing relevant facts without any analysis or evaluation. It should have been the same for the RPQ question. So, before any repair work can be done, and I'm happy to provide it here if I have the time, I would need you to be totally honest about your exam prep and then tell me exactly where you went wrong in the questions- with marks as poor as that, it was not just evaluation. Even although the exam is just a few weeks away there is time to sort it out.
Evaluation is a massive problem in RMPS. This is because students can't do it, don't do it or don't know how to do it and if they don't know how to do it, this may be because they just don't get it or, worse still, maybe the teacher isn't clear either. Evaluation is not simply writing down a list of the views of two sides of an argument. It is much more than that and your job when you are evaluating is manipulate your information so that it becomes evaluation. Here's the kind of thing that many students think is evaluation

Religious people believe in God because thay have the cosmological argument. This is the idea that everything that exists has a beginning and since the universe exists it has a beginning. There is no such thing as an infinite chain of causes. There is a First Cause and this cause is God.

People disagree with this argument because there is no proof that the first cause is God. Also the universe might be infinite because there is such a thing as infinity. Also some things we have not discovered yet could have no cause and there may not be an infinite chain of causes.

This isn't evaluation. It is just a descripton of two sides of an argument and therefore would not count as evaluation. This is evaluation:

Religious people believe in God because thay have the cosmological argument. This is the idea that everything that exists has a beginning and since the universe exists it has a beginning. There is no such thing as an infinite chain of causes. There is a First Cause and this cause is God.

However, this argument could be criticised on the grounds that whilst the argument might prove that there is First Cause, it still has a lot to do to prove that it is God. It is difficult to see how one can infer an omnipotent, omniscient, good and loving God from the basic argument provided because there is no information in the aergument on that. A further criticism of the argument is its basis which is that an infinite chain is impossible. This is just a presumption made by Aquinas without any justification. It is almost as if he considers it so obvious that there is no need to explain it but there is because it is a fundmental idea of his argument. The argument also suffers from another presumption which weakens it and it is that everything that exists has a cause. The point might be fine philosophically, but in science Alan Guth has shown that it is possible in theory at least for bubbles of energy to pop into existence and out again without cause. There is also inductive thinking going on where based on Aquinas' limited experience of the world he concludes that everything has a cause. He cannot reasonably make that claim unless he has the experience and the data to back it up. He had neither.

Now, I'd be the first to admit that this is a high level answer but hopefully you will be able to see the difference between the two approaches. What I've done is used the views against the cosmological argument and turned them into criticisms rather than just a list of what people say without relating it to the orignal example.
Hi everybody! I know this isn't exactly a thread on anyone's watch lists, but here's my news: I got an A in my exam! Thanks to everyone who gave me advice :*
Really well done, that is a huge improvement on your prelim result and has made all your hard work worthwhile I'm sure!

Hi everybody! I know this isn't exactly a thread on anyone's watch lists, but here's my news: I got an A in my exam! Thanks to everyone who gave me advice :*

Fantastic result! That's a huge improvement and a brilliant achievement, so well done!
ly

Ah, like in Modern Studies, right? I never thought of that before, thanks!

Yeah, I'm really thankful that it's so late, I actually have about two weeks between it and my second-to-last exam, phew!

As for my assignment, I think I did rather well with it! I was looking into whether euthanasia should be officially legalized in the UK and looked into Christian, Buddhist and Hindu views of it. Did you know that, because it's viewed as good palliative care, passive euthanasia isn't actually legal here even though it's technically carried out? Wild.

Hi there!

I know that it was clearly a while ago that you completed your Higher RMPS assignment, although I am crashing this subject as a sixth year and I'm getting pretty worried about the assignment as I have absolutely no clue what to do in terms of topic.

You said that you done yours on whether euthanasia should be legalised in the UK - what points did you include in that aside from the religious viewpoints?

Thank you
Original post by _Matthew01_
Hi there!

I know that it was clearly a while ago that you completed your Higher RMPS assignment, although I am crashing this subject as a sixth year and I'm getting pretty worried about the assignment as I have absolutely no clue what to do in terms of topic.

You said that you done yours on whether euthanasia should be legalised in the UK - what points did you include in that aside from the religious viewpoints?

Thank you

You're lucky I happened to check this thread today!

Before I looked at beliefs (I covered Hinduism, Christianity & Humanism), I looked at:
- Euthanasia stops people from taking their own lives without medical help (for euthanasia)
- 'Dying with dignity' (for)
- The government having no right to impact someone's choice to live or die (for)
- Euthanasia goes against the Hippocratic Oath (against)

For each point, whether it was for or against, I also covered the counterpoint to it. So for a point that was arguing against euthanasia, I would talk about the -direct- argument against it.

Important note: euthanasia is illegal in the UK, BUT! Passive euthanasia (the withdrawal of treatment necessary for continuing life, such as life support on a comatose person) -is- legal, it's just identified as good palliative care as opposed to euthanasia. If you include this it should be mentioned in your introduction along with explaining what euthanasia is and the different types of euthanasia- such as passive and active!

Hope this helps!
You're lucky I happened to check this thread today!

Before I looked at beliefs (I covered Hinduism, Christianity & Humanism), I looked at:
- Euthanasia stops people from taking their own lives without medical help (for euthanasia)
- 'Dying with dignity' (for)
- The government having no right to impact someone's choice to live or die (for)
- Euthanasia goes against the Hippocratic Oath (against)

For each point, whether it was for or against, I also covered the counterpoint to it. So for a point that was arguing against euthanasia, I would talk about the -direct- argument against it.

Important note: euthanasia is illegal in the UK, BUT! Passive euthanasia (the withdrawal of treatment necessary for continuing life, such as life support on a comatose person) -is- legal, it's just identified as good palliative care as opposed to euthanasia. If you include this it should be mentioned in your introduction along with explaining what euthanasia is and the different types of euthanasia- such as passive and active!

Hope this helps!

Hi! Just want to say a massive thank you for the response.

I'm sorry for not saying earlier - but congratulations on the massive improvement in your RMPS result! To go from that kind of result in a prelim to an A in the final exam is phenomenal.

Out of curiosity, what did you say to conclude your assignment? Should it or should it not be legalised?
Hi. I'm sitting my higher rmps Buddhism assessment next week was wondering if anyone in this has any essays they could send me would be a great help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending