The Student Room Group

Further maths or physics, which do I drop!

I’m currently in Year 12 studying maths further maths physics and chemistry. I’ve decided that I only want to do 3-a-levels and an EPQ, but deciding which one to drop is a very hard decision. I want to do chemical or mechanical engineering at university, so chemistry is actually my least important subject but it’s also one of my favourites. So I’m thinking of dropping further or physics? But can’t decide which... help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ben c123
I’m currently in Year 12 studying maths further maths physics and chemistry. I’ve decided that I only want to do 3-a-levels and an EPQ, but deciding which one to drop is a very hard decision. I want to do chemical or mechanical engineering at university, so chemistry is actually my least important subject but it’s also one of my favourites. So I’m thinking of dropping further or physics? But can’t decide which... help!

Engineering degree entry requires both Maths and Physics. The Further Maths A-level is good but by no means essential, as the degrees will cover and advance the FM learning during the first year.

Maths, Physics and Chemistry are all 'enabling' subjects and will keep open the widest choice of degrees.

If you enjoy Chemistry, you are more likely to do well in that subject.

The most logical choice therefore, is to pursue the MPC route and drop Further Maths.

If you are able, consolidate your FM learning by taking the standalone AS this year.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2

Well it sounds like if you were to drop Physics then you won’t be able to choose Mechanical Engineering and Physics is good for Chemical Engineering. The best option would be to drop FM because no university requires FM for Mechanical or Chemical Engineering.
Physics because maths is essential
I don't really know as I'm a year 7 but I would most likely drop
physics and keep maths because
its essential in daily life like bills
money business and all that
Reply 5
I'd suggest you drop FM out of those 4 because Mechanical and Chemical Engineering courses do not require Further Maths, but Maths + Physics (Mech) and Maths + Chem (Chem Eng) is needed.

I'm applying for Chemical Engineering and I'm doing Maths, Chem and Physics.

Physics is really advantageous for Chem Eng as a lot of the course is physics based.

Also make sure your EPQ is relevant.
Original post by seal111111
Physics because maths is essential

Physics and maths are essential for engineering. Stop trolling.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7

Drop FM if necessary. Although FM is probably more helpful than the EPQ.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Further
FM. Only Oxbridge and Imperial ask for FM, and from what I remember there are a good few colleges at Oxbridge which will accept you without FM. Once you get onto the degree you may feel some disadvantage by not having done FM but it will still be manageable, at any other uni you will feel no advantage from doing FM. FM just doesn't cover many extra topics which are relevant to engineering, only complex numbers really which takes about 5 minutes to learn,

In contrast every more respected mechanical engineering course I've seen, except Sheffield, requires physics (and even then you have to do a 1 month prep course for Shef if this is the case). While Chemical Engineering doesn't, it would be highly advised.
Reply 10
Original post by Helloworld_95
FM. Only Oxbridge and Imperial ask for FM, and from what I remember there are a good few colleges at Oxbridge which will accept you without FM. Once you get onto the degree you may feel some disadvantage by not having done FM but it will still be manageable, at any other uni you will feel no advantage from doing FM. FM just doesn't cover many extra topics which are relevant to engineering, only complex numbers really which takes about 5 minutes to learn,

In contrast every more respected mechanical engineering course I've seen, except Sheffield, requires physics (and even then you have to do a 1 month prep course for Shef if this is the case). While Chemical Engineering doesn't, it would be highly advised.

Thanks for the advice I’m going to do the further maths AS this year and then learn as much as I can in my own time! I haven’t decided my EPQ yet but I will make sure it’s maths, physics or engineering based.
Reply 11
Original post by Texxers
I'd suggest you drop FM out of those 4 because Mechanical and Chemical Engineering courses do not require Further Maths, but Maths + Physics (Mech) and Maths + Chem (Chem Eng) is needed.

I'm applying for Chemical Engineering and I'm doing Maths, Chem and Physics.

Physics is really advantageous for Chem Eng as a lot of the course is physics based.

Also make sure your EPQ is relevant.

Have you done an EPQ?
Reply 12
Original post by Helloworld_95

Ive already learnt complex numbers, I enjoy further maths but I think I’ll enjoy physics more next year
Chemistry is often preferred or necessary for ChemE courses - you should review the entry criteria of courses you're considering carefully.

However Physics is required for the vast majority of engineering courses, of any discipline - there are a few exceptions, but they are few. Thus you ought to drop FM as it's not necessary for any engineering course I'm aware of, formally. It is however extremely useful preparation and would be very helpful if you have your sights on Cambridge/Imperial/Oxford/etc - as above, FM would be more useful than an EPQ generally, and particularly for such courses.

Regardless, Further Maths would be the one to drop out of just those two due to the ubiquity of Physics as a prerequisite. You may want to consider taking the AS exams for Further Maths this year if your school allows and you don't plan to continue with it.

It would be more advisable to drop the EPQ rather than either of those two, but if a choice must be made then I would choose further maths as it's not a requirement for entry to engineering (except perhaps Oxbridge and Imperial who may question why you dropped it) whereas if you want to go into mechanical, physics is a requirement - and even some chemical courses want it too.
Reply 15
Original post by Smack
It would be more advisable to drop the EPQ rather than either of those two, but if a choice must be made then I would choose further maths as it's not a requirement for entry to engineering (except perhaps Oxbridge and Imperial who may question why you dropped it) whereas if you want to go into mechanical, physics is a requirement - and even some chemical courses want it too.

Currently predicted A*, A*, A, A but I feel doing 4 subjects will inhibit my grades.
Reply 16
Currently predicted A*, A*, A, A but I feel doing 4 subjects will inhibit my grades.

Exactly. So at that attainment level are you considering Imperial and/or Oxbridge? If so I'd again suggest keeping FM and dropping the EPQ.

you don’t need a-level further maths to do any of those. you probably don’t even need gcse maths to do those things

OP, drop FM. MPC gives you the most options
Reply 18
Original post by Doonesbury
Exactly. So at that attainment level are you considering Imperial and/or Oxbridge? If so I'd again suggest keeping FM and dropping the EPQ.

I know it is possible just difficult, I would rather secure 3 A* grades than bottle it next year and get 4 A’s
Reply 19
I know it is possible just difficult, I would rather secure 3 A* grades than bottle it next year and get 4 A’s

That's absolutely fine and understandable. But hence why I and others are saying the EPQ should be the first to go.

Also 3 A-levels is a fine idea, the issue is still which three.

Are Oxbridge or Imperial likely choices? It will affect the advice you get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending