The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Depends, my school at least requires you getting an 8 in maths along with 4 other A*s.
I got a 9 last year and take further maths now. I’d say it’s possibly doable with a 7 but I wouldn’t recommend taking it at all unless you get an 8 at least. It’s very different to gcse maths (in a good way) far mor interesting but obviously more complex and a lot of work. If you enjoy it any you’re good at it then it’s worth taking but four A levels would be a significant amount of work and isn’t always recommended. For that reason i would say think carefully about it before because you don’t want to be overwhelmed by work. Hope I’ve helped, feel free to message me if you have any questions 😊
Original post by BeccaSahyoune
I got a 9 last year and take further maths now. I’d say it’s possibly doable with a 7 but I wouldn’t recommend taking it at all unless you get an 8 at least. It’s very different to gcse maths (in a good way) far mor interesting but obviously more complex and a lot of work. If you enjoy it any you’re good at it then it’s worth taking but four A levels would be a significant amount of work and isn’t always recommended. For that reason i would say think carefully about it before because you don’t want to be overwhelmed by work. Hope I’ve helped, feel free to message me if you have any questions 😊

what are the questions like? in what does it differ from gcse maths? like is it more to do with x and equations?
Depends on the school but usually requires A*.

I myself only got an A in maths and I wasn't initially allowed to do further maths, but I was later called and told due to a teacher at that school knowing what I was capable of, I was accepted into the course.
Original post by Marfyy
Can't really answer your exact question but when I started college it was standard practice to take four so that you could drop one if it turned out not to be for you. They had a rule that you could swap 1 course up to 6 weeks in as long as it could be done with the timetabling restrictions. Find out if your college would let you do that at you could always pick somethimg else and swap onto it or pick it and swap off it should you find it too difficult.

new schooling systems calls for most students taking 3 A level subjects as they're all linear - total bull if i'm honest but i did open evening at my college last year and only really keen/smart students take 4 now *eye roll*
In the schools in my area they want a 7 or maths and a 9 for further maths
My school requires a 7 for regular Maths as well as a 9 for Further Maths (and you must do well in their induction test). To be honest, I would say the bare minimum is a high 8. A student who doesn't improve his work ethic from year 11-sixth form and achieved an 8 in GCSE Maths won't be able to cope with FM. Of course, if they improve their work ethic, etc - it's a different argument.
I chose further maths which meant i was doing 4 a levels, but at my school we only have 4 lessons of f. maths every fortnight, although we now have a new maths teacher so we are now having 6 lessons every two week, compared to the other a levels with have 9, so it isnt as much lesson time, although you do have to do more out of lessons
my college required a minimum of an 8.
It's standard you need an 8 to do it at most sixth forms.
Original post by username3247880
Hello, I am a current y11 and thinking about doing further maths for A level.

So, I am predicted an 8 (I probably won't get a 9, but who knows) in GCSE Maths.
What would you say is the minimum grade for doing further maths at a-level?

I am thinking of doing further maths as currently in GCSE Maths my only barrier between my 8 and a 9 is memory, which can be helped with revision. There's nothing I don't "get" or understand. So I am cruising calmly through the GCSE maths.

So the thing is, although I know A level maths is a huge jump from GCSE I don't want to only take maths and then feel like I get everything first, or at very least second try.

What do think? Should I risk it? Also if I do take further maths I will be doing 4 A levels.

PS. another reason for not choosing further maths is that im scared that it'll take away too much time from my revision time to the point where it hinders my other grades (Business and Computing)

Hello. I'm in Yr 11 as well and i really love maths. Grade 8 is the minimum requirement in my school for further maths (i don't know if its the same across all schools). If you take further maths, usually you should be doing 4 a levels. i'm predicted an 8 but my teacher wants me to get a 9. She also advised me to take further maths. However our sixth form recommends you only do 3 a levels due to the heavy content of the course. but some do take 4 - only around 7/8 people. I had an interview today for my a level options and the teacher i was interviewed by advised me to do 3 a - levels: maths, further maths and business studies. but the thing is what if further maths takes too much time from my revision for other subjects like you say and it hinders my other grades which is why i want to do 4 - philosophy and ethics - so that i can drop further maths if i cant cope. I would recommend doing 4 alevels if you're taking further maths and drop further maths if its too hard - which is what i am planning on doing.
Reply 31
Original post by username3247880
Hello, I am a current y11 and thinking about doing further maths for A level.

So, I am predicted an 8 (I probably won't get a 9, but who knows) in GCSE Maths.
What would you say is the minimum grade for doing further maths at a-level?

I am thinking of doing further maths as currently in GCSE Maths my only barrier between my 8 and a 9 is memory, which can be helped with revision. There's nothing I don't "get" or understand. So I am cruising calmly through the GCSE maths.

So the thing is, although I know A level maths is a huge jump from GCSE I don't want to only take maths and then feel like I get everything first, or at very least second try.

What do think? Should I risk it? Also if I do take further maths I will be doing 4 A levels.

PS. another reason for not choosing further maths is that im scared that it'll take away too much time from my revision time to the point where it hinders my other grades (Business and Computing)

I'm also considering doing Double Maths(Maths and Further Maths),but I'm in Year 10, and the Sixth Form which I am considering requires a Grade minimum of 8 to do Double Maths(I'm not predicted a Grade 9, but that's because my school can't predict Level 9's, my previous 2 tests where 79/82 and 139/141). No Sixth Form is going to ask for a 9. 8 will be well enough for most places.
Reply 32
Original post by Zoqua
I'm also considering doing Double Maths(Maths and Further Maths),but I'm in Year 10, and the Sixth Form which I am considering requires a Grade minimum of 8 to do Double Maths(I'm not predicted a Grade 9, but that's because my school can't predict Level 9's, my previous 2 tests where 79/82 and 139/141). No Sixth Form is going to ask for a 9. 8 will be well enough for most places.

There are actually some schools that require a 9 for further maths. This is the real grade not a predicted grade.

This is very rare though!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Notnek
There are actually some schools that require a 9 for further maths. This is the real grade not a predicted grade.

A 9? What schools require a 9? Never heard of it to be honest, I know a lot of schools now ask for an 8.
Reply 34
Original post by Zoqua

In most cases, you’ll need an 8. Some may accept a 7 though.
Reply 35
Original post by Black Water
A 9? What schools require a 9? Never heard of it to be honest, I know a lot of schools now ask for an 8.

I know Henrietta Barnett required a 9 for last years applicants. That may change this year.
Reply 36
Original post by Notnek
I know Henrietta Barnett required a 9 for last years applicants. That may change this year.

That’s one of the best schools, not surprised.
Reply 37
That’s one of the best schools, not surprised.

Yes only a few of the best schools in the country will ask for a 9. This isn't relevant for the OP - I was just mentioning that a grade 9 requirement does actually exist.

My sixth form requires a 9.

It used to be an 8 but for some reason, just before we recieved our result they raised it to a 9.
Reply 39
Original post by Notnek
Yes only a few of the best schools in the country will ask for a 9. This isn't relevant for the OP - I was just mentioning that a grade 9 requirement does actually exist.

Yeah, not surprised they do since most of their students will achieve a grade 9. Doesn’t matter, most schools will require an 8 though.

Latest