The Student Room Group

Who was the UK's best prime minister?

In your view who was the best prime minister that the uk has ever had I am going with Winston Churchill.

Scroll to see replies

definitely Lady Thatcher... girl power much !!
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
definitely Lady Thatcher... girl power much !!

ahahahaha no she ruined the lives of so many people just bc shes a woman doesnt mean she was a good pm
Original post by nata5ha
ahahahaha no she ruined the lives of so many people just bc shes a woman doesnt mean she was a good pm

certainly Lady Thatcher is not popular with the mining militants; but their industry was doomed. you do not hear Mr Corbyn whining about the poor peat diggers who lost their jobs due to the horrible newfangled coal industry do you ?
Original post by New- Emperor
In your view who was the best prime minister that the uk has ever had I am going with Winston Churchill.

yep I agree.
Reply 5

To be fair, Churchill was good at leading the country at war, but after, he wasn't a very good PM and easily lost the next election
Reply 6
Billy Gladstone.
Cardinal Wolsey.

But in actual seriousness, probably Churchill in war or Thatcher, although thanks for the NHS, Atlee.
Reply 8

Who was are best prime minister?

I've just reread the title.
Read it for yourself again
Original post by IDOZ
To be fair, Churchill was good at leading the country at war, but after, he wasn't a very good PM and easily lost the next election

But he was re-elected in 1951 1955
honestly, they've all been a bit crap.

May needs to go already
Cameron did nothing special
Who cares about Brown
Blair was alright
Major was crap
Thatcher was double crap
Callaghan failed
don't know anything about Macmillion to Heath
Atlee as a babe who got the NHS up
Churchill won the war, but who was such an imperialist and tory I can't get on board with that
Anthony Eden
(edited 6 years ago)
Churchill and Thatcher. It can't be denied how much these two did for our country.
Regardless of his policy's I quite liked William Pitt's personality.

Gladstone has to be up there. Lloyd George too.

Clement Attlee deserves a mention I think.:yep:

I was once compared to Herbert Asquith actually!:lol:

P.S. Changed thread title and moved to History.:smile:
Reply 14
Pitt the Younger deserves a mention, yes he introduced Income Tax but he was a very efficient administrator and pretty dedicated.

Have also always had a soft spot for David Lloyd George, but more as Chancellor than as PM.

Am away to cinema this evening to watch Darkest Hour re Churchill, yes he had faults, but cometh the hour cometh the man

Gladstone and Disraeli I am afraid have to lose out as their repeat ministries were difficult to keep track off when sitting my school exams, they had no consideration for future generations of schoolchildren.

Rest are mere also rans, though Cameron, like Lord North, will at least go down in the history books as an incompetent, as probably will May.

Given what has endured from his term Atlee also deserves an honourable mention.
Original post by DJKL

Am away to cinema this evening to watch Darkest Hour re Churchill, yes he had faults, but cometh the hour cometh the man

I saw that yesterday I really enjoyed it Gary Oldman plays the part really well and lets not forget in 2002 in a BBC poll he was voted the greatest Briton of all time.
Original post by DJKL

Rest are mere also rans, though Cameron, like Lord North, will at least go down in the history books as an incompetent, as probably will May.

Though Cameron is much better than May who is weak on a good day and just plain stupid on a bad one.
Michael Callow
Clement Attlee.

He built his way out of post war austerity, knew intrinsically that war wearied men and women wanted decent affordable housing and a free NHS where the ability to pay for a doctor was stopped once and for all. He knew that poverty and losing a job could no longer spell penury for working class people so he also introduced the safety net of the Welfare State and social security....and we should NEVER take this for granted.

There has been no greater PM, and I doubt there ever will be. I weep to see what the Tories and May are doing to our country right now.
Reply 19
Original post by jonathanemptage
Though Cameron is much better than May who is weak on a good day and just plain stupid on a bad one.

But he called a referendum and lost it, she merely called an election and lost it; history books will remember Cameron but can't see May getting much of an entry.

The worst fate of a politician, to not be remembered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending