The Student Room Group

Sam's GYG for GCSE (Year 10)

Sam's GYG: Year 10

Hi! My name is Sam and this me trying to grow my grades in Year 10, for GCSE Results day in Year 11. I enjoy school, but it can be stressful. Below is some more information about me, my subjects, predictions and grades. NOTE: I my school, they do not grade homework or tests at a Grade 9, unless they are 96% or above, as most subjects do not know what a Grade 9 looks like.
Also, I am Set 1 (top class) for all subjects.

CHOSEN SUBJECTS - School Prediction - Personal Prediction

Spoiler

CHOSEN SUBJECT - Current Level (UPDATED 27/02/18)

Spoiler

So if you want, you can follow my GYG blog, and I will be updating every Sunday, with what I have done in the week. At the end/start of terms, I will be posting updated grades from tests.

MOCK EXAM INFO:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samhendrie

Sam's GYG: Year 10

Hi! My name is Sam and this me trying to grow my grades in Year 10, for GCSE Results day in Year 11. I enjoy school, but it can be stressful. Below is some more information about me, my subjects, predictions and grades. NOTE: I my school, they do not grade homework or tests at a Grade 9, unless they are 96% or above, as most subjects do not know what a Grade 9 looks like.
Also, I am Set 1 (top class) for all subjects.

CHOSEN SUBJECTS - School Prediction - Personal Prediction

Spoiler

CHOSEN SUBJECT - Current Level

Spoiler

So if you want, you can follow my GYG blog, and I will be updating every Sunday, with what I have done in the week. At the end/start of terms, I will be posting updated grades from tests.

Good luck! What's your favourite subject? :biggrin:
Original post by Fox Corner
Good luck! What's your favourite subject? :biggrin:

Definitely Maths, I understand it very well. My least favourite is English

Update 1

Sorry I haven't updated since i started the thread, I have been busy with school.

Here are my current grades:

Spoiler

Overall, my grades are decent, however I want to improve in English, RE and Biology. I think some grade boundaries for subjects are too high (e.g. Geography, 90% for an 8), yet some are too low (e.g. Physics, 65% for an 8). I'll update next week after my next tests!
I'm in year 9 and I'm terrible at math... Well, i'm in set one but I just don't understand the important of solving simultaneous equations (even if they are easy..) I want to get ahead for next year, what sort of things do you learn in year 10?
Original post by MollyBarber13
I'm in year 9 and I'm terrible at math... Well, i'm in set one but I just don't understand the important of solving simultaneous equations (even if they are easy..) I want to get ahead for next year, what sort of things do you learn in year 10?

Simultaneous equations on the Edexcel syllabus is revised in Year 10 (at least at my school). I recommend the Edexcel CGP Maths Higher OR Foundation tier book, if you are having trouble with algebra :smile:
Original post by samhendrie
Simultaneous equations on the Edexcel syllabus is revised in Year 10 (at least at my school). I recommend the Edexcel CGP Maths Higher OR Foundation tier book, if you are having trouble with algebra :smile:

I've used the CGP books since year 7 when I was failing everything, they're really useful. So we'll do simultaneous equations again??!! We do edexcel as well, igcse's but still i don't think it makes that much of a difference. I'll have a look on the pearson website and see what the syllabus is for next year/year 11. Thanks for replying. :biggrin:

Update 2

Quick update on my upcoming test week! Below, in the spoiler, are my Term 3 test grades for subjects I have already taken tests for. Below that is information about my upcoming tests.

Spoiler

Here are my upcoming tests, and my predictions:

Monday, February 5th
Biology - I want a 7, but I may get a 6 because Biology is not my strongest science. The test is mainly on photosynthesis

Tuesday, February 6th
Physics - I would like a 7 or 8, as Term 1 grade was a 5, but my Term 2 grade was an 8

Wednesday, February 7th
Period 3
Chemistry - I want an 8, as Chemistry is my strongest science, and I achieved 90% in my Term 1 test, and 84% in my Term 2 test
Period 4
Maths - Now, this is my strongest subject, but the grade boundaries are set depending on the test, so I could get a 7, 8 or 9 and be in the 80-100% range

I will post an update after each test, and explain how it went. Fingers crossed!!

Update 3

So I had my Biology test today, and it went really good (for once). I am aiming for around the grade 7/8 mark now, as the I revised a lot for this. I am about the revise for my physics test! Wish me luck, aha...

Update 4

Got my Geography back...not happy - grade 4; 53%. I thought i did better, but I am re-doing some questions.
Physics test was today, overall it was decent, but I know I missed a few easy marks. Still hoping for that 7 or 8.
I have a Chemistry test, and a Maths test tomorrow; my best subjects. I just hope I do well!
Update 5

Sorry I haven't updated, but I thought i might as well as do one big update. I have some info from last update
Maths Test: I thought it was okay, but I wasn't too confident. I expected about a grade 7 (28-31/40)
Chemistry Test: I thought this was my worst chemistry test yet; however the grade boundaries are very forgiving (52% for a 7, 65% for a 8, 79% for a 9). I expected a 7

Next week I have a Graphic Products test; Tuesday, and an RE test on Monday.

Results
So I got my results for my tests, and I am very happy (I got a surprise English Language 40 mark questions as well!)
SUBJECT - MARK/PERCENTAGE - COMMENTS
English Language - Grade 7, 35/40, 88% - VERY HAPPY!!! I wanted about 25, but to get 35, best in class, on my first timed attempt, is amazing for me!
Maths - Grade 9, 37/40, 93% - ALSO VERY HAPPY!! As mentioned above, I expected no better than a 7, but to get close to full marks is great!
Biology - Grade 7 - I do not know my percentage or mark. I am fine with this, I tried hard to get this grade, but i know the grade boundaries are 52%-65%, so I may be disappointed with my mark, but hey - a 7 is a 7!
Physics - Grade 7, 29/46, 63% - Not too happy with the mark - ONE MARK OFF AN 8! The test was hard, however, so I was okay.
Chemistry - Grade 9, 33/39, 85% - ECSTATIC, I thought I did SO BAD, but I am very glad.
Update 6

So, below you will be able to see my grades for R.E. and Biology. I did my biology test yesterday, so it was quick getting my grade back, and I finally got my Biology test back. My Graphics test is postponed until next week.

Results
SUBJECT - MARK/PERCENTAGE - COMMENTS
Biology - Grade 7, 25/41, 61% - I am fine with this grade, but I was only 2 marks off of an 8!
R.E. - Grade 7, 20/27, 74% - Overall I'm happy with that grade. It is my last test on Judaism before the mock exam in July, so I'm glad I have improved

12/03/2018

Soooo...I'm going to be trying something new - to try and post a daily update! This will keep track of what i'm currently doing in my lessons. I will go in period order (Period 1 - 5), and next to each subject I will put my PERSONAL CURRENT prediction. I hope to keep this going, so enjoy!

PE (Not a GCSE subject - N/A)
Just an average lesson, warm-up then a game of football. Pretty Standard.

RE (AQA, Grade 7)
We have just started Catholicism, which will carry us through to the end of year 11. We compared creation paintings, mosaics and fresco's.

Biology (AQA, Combined Science, Grade 8)
The school have just started using an online resource called 'Educake', where teachers can set you tests and you can set yourself tests. It is a very useful tool

Maths (Edexcel, Grade 9)
We are finishing off Box Plots (Box Whisker diagrams) in connection to Cumulative Frequency Curves. Finding it pretty easy

English (AQA, Grade 7)
We have started performing our Speaking and Listening speeches - got a distinction!

ALSO: At lunchtime I finally did that Design Technology test, it went pretty good. Expecting about 60/75
(edited 6 years ago)

13/03/2018

Soooo...I'm going to be trying something new - to try and post a daily update! This will keep track of what i'm currently doing in my lessons. I will go in period order (Period 1 - 5), and next to each subject I will put my PERSONAL CURRENT predictions!

Design Technology (AQA, Grade 7)
We have started with explosive isometric, and I enjoyed it. I also got my test result back from yesterday; 67/73 - 92% - Grade 8: Overall very happy with this, but I do think 92% COULD be a 9 - I was 2 marks off!

Geography (AQA, Grade 8/9)
Started Coastal Landforms, it's ok, not my favourite Geography topic

RE (AQA, Grade 7)
Cover lesson - just revising

Maths (Edexcel, Grade 9)
Started revising Scatter Graphs, pretty easy IMO

Physics (AQA, Combined Science, Grade 8)
Newton's First Law - BORING!!!

14/03/2018

Soooo...I'm going to be trying something new - to try and post a daily update! This will keep track of what i'm currently doing in my lessons. I will go in period order (Period 1 - 5), and next to each subject I will put my PERSONAL CURRENT prediction. I hope to keep this going, so enjoy!

PE (Not a GCSE subject - N/A)
Basically the same as Monday's lesson lmao

Computer Science (OCR, Grade 9)
I finished off my Caeser Cipher, and started the Vigenere Cipher. We code on Visual Studio 2017, in VB.net/Visual Basic

Chemistry (AQA, Combined Science, Grade 8)
Continuing with Electrolysis, finding it pretty easy, but was hard at first to wrap my head around

Maths (Edexcel, Grade 9)
Continued with Scatter Graphs, relaxed and easy lesson

English (AQA, Grade 7)
The last people performed their speeches, and we will soon be moving on to one of our English Lit texts
Your grades are amazing!
How are you finding Year 10 so far?
Original post by laurawatt
Your grades are amazing!
How are you finding Year 10 so far?

I'm really enjoying it aha, I'm glad I can do the subjects I want rather than dreading the lessons I don't want to do.
I am very proud of my grades, academia comes naturally to me, but PE does not :bike:
15/03/2018

Deign Technology (AQA, Grade 7)
Theory lesson today - Mechanical devices such as Mechanisms, Levers and Linkages

English (AQA, Grade 7)
We have started our comparison of two unseen poems, in prep for our English Literature mock in July

Learnt about Coastal Landforms like Beaches, Spits and Bars

Biology (AQA, Combined Science, Grade 8)
Revision lesson for our test next Friday on Respiration

RE (AQA, Grade 7)
God as Creator, Omnipotent and Transcendant - very boring IMO
16/03/2018

Physics (AQA, Combined Science, Grade 8)
Completed a Revision lesson on Work Done, and started a lesson on Power

We finished Landforms, so we did Kahoot!

Citizenship (Not a GCSE subject - N/A)
Started to construct a CV

Computer Science (OCR, Grade 9)
Started a new theory topic on Sound

English (AQA, Grade 7)
Finished a 24 mark question from last lesson, and then we went over feedback of our speeches
:woo:

Quick Reply