The Student Room Group

Is the UK Criminal Justice System Fair?

In light of recent events, there has been a spiralling debate about the legal system and its sentencing guidelines here in the UK.

There have been repeat cases in the media involving the most serious offences, murder, attempted murder etc and the sentences for these have varied so greatly that there has been great public scrutiny of the judiciary.

Is it fair to say, that two people who commit the same crime, be liable to be sentenced for the same period of time? Should the period of sentence depend on the offenders age? Is it fair to give a more lenient sentence to an offender simply because they are not yet 18?

What is everyone's opinions of the sentencing of offenders in this country? Is real justice really being served?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is really just pot luck, sometimes you get lucky, other times you get the book thrown at you. Or you could just be black.
I don't like the whole "half time" for good behavior.
A girl who threw acid on her childhood best friend was released in 6 years while the victim is scarred for life.
Reply 3
Original post by DecagonX
It is really just pot luck, sometimes you get lucky, other times you get the book thrown at you. Or you could just be black.

To some extent I do agree, especially more recently it seems the case of how good a day the judge is having. Cannot say this is really letting on for good precedent. Person A and B do the same crime but get very different sentences under similar circumstances.

I would say it is almost enticing future offenders to commit such crimes instead of acting as a deterrent.
Reply 4
Original post by RPT
To some extent I do agree, especially more recently it seems the case of how good a day the judge is having. Cannot say this is really letting on for good precedent. Person A and B do the same crime but get very different sentences under similar circumstances.

I would say it is almost enticing future offenders to commit such crimes instead of acting as a deterrent.

Person A and B would be having a really bad day if the police actually managed to catch them, that alone is bad enough.
Less unfair than many countries, but still not very good. There is no real justice for victims I feel. Waiting very long times for court cases to take place is no justice for either victim or the accused.
Reply 6
Original post by DecagonX
Person A and B would be having a really bad day if the police actually managed to catch them, that alone is bad enough.

I lol`d
Reply 7
Original post by KingHarold
Less unfair than many countries, but still not very good. There is no real justice for victims I feel. Waiting very long times for court cases to take place is no justice for either victim or the accused.

Comparing the justice system to many other countries is pointless also many of the countries you will be comparing too are third world and it is more so that they do not have correct resources to prosecute efficiently.

Also court cases do take a long time, its astonishing actually that many criminal trials can take up to 4-6 months to be heard in the Crown Court. But on the other side providing the offender is remanded (if the crime is serious) then it is only a positive as this allow the CPS and the police to build a strong case.

Many countries have a criminal justice system were people are genuinely petrified off, here people laugh.
Not until they bring back hanging.
This whole behave well and you’ll be out early nonsense should be scrapped, life should mean life no matter what. Furthermore there seems to be some cases in which women are treated better than men by judges, which is grossly unfair.
I don't think it's just UK, justice isn't ever completely fair throughout history there are people who didn't get what they deserved and I think justice depends on your view. If you are rich and powerful I doubt you'll get even get a sentence, just a tarnished reputation. But that is very serious to them and I think that's why it's different for different ages. Arguably before 18 you aren't fully mature and even if not sentenced then its on their record, we are more impressionable at a younger age and capable of change so I don't think it's wrong for under 18s to have a shorter sentence.
Reply 11
Original post by Sabertooth

I would dis-agree as these can often lead to innocent people being killed. Although I would support a system where if an offender is found "red-hand" guilty of murder etc then yes.
I've studied the law of evidence and I think that the whole system is a complete farce.
Shanie wouldn't approve of this...
Original post by YaliaV
I've studied the law of evidence and I think that the whole system is a complete farce.

And what exactly are your objections to the law of evidence, as it stands?
Original post by erratic_deus
I don't like the whole "half time" for good behavior.
A girl who threw acid on her childhood best friend was released in 6 years while the victim is scarred for life.

Naomi Oni?
Reply 16
Original post by RPT
In light of recent events, there has been a spiralling debate about the legal system and its sentencing guidelines here in the UK.

There have been repeat cases in the media involving the most serious offences, murder, attempted murder etc and the sentences for these have varied so greatly that there has been great public scrutiny of the judiciary.

Is it fair to say, that two people who commit the same crime, be liable to be sentenced for the same period of time? Should the period of sentence depend on the offenders age? Is it fair to give a more lenient sentence to an offender simply because they are not yet 18?

What is everyone's opinions of the sentencing of offenders in this country? Is real justice really being served?

No. It is not, can not, and will not be fair. No two cases are identical and opinions will always differ on what is fair in respect of the circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DrsVhzbLzU

watch
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
No two people are the same, and it therefore seems reasonable that no two trials are the same.

If someone who has a history of sadistic and violent behaviour commits murder, then of course they are likely to need more time to rehabilitate than a "normal person" who commits the same murder, and therefore assuming rehabilitation is a key aspect of a countries prison system, a longer sentence seems perfectly logical.

Watch a journalist/comedian vs do a bunch of research into the death penalty specifically in England? I'll stick with the one I've done.
Reply 19
Watch a journalist/comedian vs do a bunch of research into the death penalty specifically in England? I'll stick with the one I've done.

I think it's a pretty good argument. Either miscarriages of justice happen, and innocent people are killed by the state, or they don't. You can never, ever, remedy an innocent life taken with capital punishment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending