The Student Room Group

Distance between coordinates

So I thought I’d use the formula to work out the distance between B and S but this is a non calc question and I get a lot of decimals so was wondering what my next step is?
0F09B057-C828-4251-8F1C-61ACAA217C9C.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Y11_Maths
So I thought I’d use the formula to work out the distance between B and S but this is a non calc question and I get a lot of decimals so was wondering what my next step is?

If the distances are in a certain ratio on a stright line, then so are the differences in the x-coordinates, and the differences in y-coordinates.

Should have covered that in your textbook - similar triangles.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
If the distances are in a certain ratio on a stright line, then so are the differences in the x-coordinates, and the differences in y-coordinates.

Ok thanks

Hmm I still can’t quite figure it out, how can I use the coordinates?
(edited 6 years ago)
Hmm I still can’t quite figure it out, how can I use the coordinates?

The ratio of the difference in the x-coordinates of T and B, to the difference in the x-coordinates of B and S, in 2:5.

Similarly for y.
The ratio of the difference in the x-coordinates of T and B, to the difference in the x-coordinates of B and S, in 2:5.

Similarly for y.

Is my x coordinate for T 13?
(edited 6 years ago)
To answe this:

1) Calculate the point B (it's practically given in the problem)
2) We know TB/BS = 2/5. You know the change in X within BS = 48-23 = 25. 25/5 x 2 = 10 meaning the change in X in TB = 10 which therefore means that 23-10 = 13. X coordinate is 13 (as you correctly mentioned)
3) Use a similar method to find the y value.
Is my x coordinate for T 13?

Yes.
Is my Y value 19?
Is my Y value 19?

Yep.
your x and y are correct

:borat:
Thanks for the help everyone 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest