The Student Room Group

SOMEONE PLEASE ADVICE Me ON A-LEVEL REVISION!!!

Hi, so I'm taking my A-Levels this June and I do Physics, Chemistry, and Maths, aiming for A*A*A*. Can someone please give me subject specific advice on how I can achieve this and how many hours I should revise in a day considering the fact that I've been getting Bs and Cs in my mocks. Thanks.
Reply 1
Revision posters next to ur bed / mirror / everywhere so you’re basically always revising (this is what I did). Flash cards so u can revise on trains, buses, breaks at work. I’m not trying to stress you out but when I was doing A levels I was basically revising constantly with these methods and it worked!! Make them super colorful and get other people to test you wherever you can. I’d say I probably did about 2 hours revision every night after college and then an hour during my breaks at work on weekends and 3 hours on weekend evenings. So like 17/18 hours total probably. It didn’t feel too much tho because these methods were very easy to stick to. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Fizzy98
Revision posters next to ur bed / mirror / everywhere so you’re basically always revising (this is what I did). Flash cards so u can revise on trains, buses, breaks at work. I’m not trying to stress you out but when I was doing A levels I was basically revising constantly with these methods and it worked!! Make them super colorful and get other people to test you wherever you can. I’d say I probably did about 2 hours revision every night after college and then an hour during my breaks at work on weekends and 3 hours on weekend evenings. So like 17/18 hours total probably. It didn’t feel too much tho because these methods were very easy to stick to. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks a ton!
Reply 3
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Thanks a ton!

No problem!!! ☺️☺️
Original post by Fizzy98
No problem!!! ☺️☺️

PRSOM
Thanks a ton!

Original post by Fizzy98

Do you mind em asking what subjects and what grades did u get in your A Levels?
Reply 6
Original post by Kandicepf18
Do you mind em asking what subjects and what grades did u get in your A Levels?

Nope :smile: i got A*BB, I did Politics(B), sociology(A*) and English literature and language(B)
Original post by Fizzy98
Nope :smile: i got A*BB, I did Politics(B), sociology(A*) and English literature and language(B)

Hey, can i ask how you got your A* in sociology? Like if you've got any
tips or advice? I've got my exam in June, so looking for all the help!! Thanks so much
Dr boes for chem Is a life saver
Original post by Fizzy98

That is brill! Im in year 12 and I'm currently on a C for Sociology, any tips on how to get a higher grade, what worked for you? :smile:
Original post by iman.durrah
That is brill! Im in year 12 and I'm currently on a C for Sociology, any tips on how to get a higher grade, what worked for you? :smile:

Original post by imogen_rose22
Hey, can i ask how you got your A* in sociology? Like if you've got any
tips or advice? I've got my exam in June, so looking for all the help!! Thanks so much

Hi both of u
As I'm sure you are both aware there is a LOT of theory u need to learn to be prepared for any question in the exam. What I did was revise for my exams separately. Idk what exam boards u guys are on but my exams in second year were on the family and education. So I made lots and lots of flashcards!! For example I'd have one pack for functionalism & the family, and in that pack I'd have cards with a theorist's name on one side and a point they make on the other. Then I'd have feminism and the family etc etc. I did the same for the education pack. Don't overload the card, you wanna make it short and easy to remember!! Like a few key words, just an outline of what they believe. This will also help you find your own voice and phrasing in your essays as you won't just be copying from your text book. Get different coloured ones and put an elastic band around each section so you don't mix them up! And use coloured pens, this helps
My teacher for sociology was incredible and gave us a lot of example questions, basically every possible question that could come up. Has your teacher done that? If not, ask them to give you some practice questions!! If they're rubbish and for some reason say no, you can probably access past papers online although I'm not sure as I suppose you guys are one of the first doing the two years of A levels in one? I just missed that!!
As I said above, revision posters are what got me through a levels. I basically did the same thing as I did with the flashcards. I have massive paper that you can get from Hobbycraft, like it's huge. Put them next to your bed or anywhere you'll be a lot and have a poster for each exam, or something specific if you are struggling to remember anything really badly. (Remember you can do this for all subjects!!) use a different colour pen for each section, eg pink for functionalism, blue for feminism. Just bullet point info or do little spider diagrams.
Also, memorise structures of questions so you have a clear path of what you will want to write.
I know it sounds like an awful lot but you have plenty of time and it's really not too bad because it's not as if you're sat at a desk doing these revision techniques, you can be lying in bed or on a train, or getting a friend or family member to test you. It's fun! (As fun as revision can be).
And have you ever heard of a website called getrevising.com?
I didn't use this for sociology so much but I'm sure it will be handy, it's a very good website!! Especially if your teachers were as bad as mine were in my other 2 subjects, I basically used this website to teach myself!!
I wish you both the best of luck, if you need any help you know where I am! Drop me a message any time. I'm doing sociology at uni now so I clearly love this subject haha. You will be absolutely fine as long as you prepare yourself :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi, so I'm taking my A-Levels this June and I do Physics, Chemistry, and Maths, aiming for A*A*A*. Can someone please give me subject specific advice on how I can achieve this and how many hours I should revise in a day considering the fact that I've been getting Bs and Cs in my mocks. Thanks.

I'm also taking my A-Levels this year. I do Computer Science, Maths, and Further Maths. Last year (and presumably this year), I found completing past papers for maths was the best way of revising. If I didn't understand a topic, I'd search for it on YouTube as there are loads of helpful channels.

For example, https://www.youtube.com/user/ExamSolutions is my favourite channel for maths.

Good luck!
Original post by FryOfTheMann
I'm also taking my A-Levels this year. I do Computer Science, Maths, and Further Maths. Last year (and presumably this year), I found completing past papers for maths was the best way of revising. If I didn't understand a topic, I'd search for it on YouTube as there are loads of helpful channels.

For example, https://www.youtube.com/user/ExamSolutions is my favourite channel for maths.

Good luck!

Hey! I do the exact same A-Levels as you! I just wanted to point this out because I very rarely find people :laugh:
Original post by EmilySarah00
Hey! I do the exact same A-Levels as you! I just wanted to point this out because I very rarely find people :laugh:

\o/

All of the other further maths students seem to take economics or physics/chemistry instead of computer science so I've not seen anyone else in my year taking the same courses. :biggrin:

We're a rare bunch.
\o/

All of the other further maths students seem to take economics or physics/chemistry instead of computer science so I've not seen anyone else in my year taking the same courses. :biggrin:

We're a rare bunch.

No one in my year does either! In fact I’m the only person in my CompSci class that even takes maths... I bet you can just imagine how painful that is! :facepalm:

What are you going to do at uni? If you’re planning to go that is! :eek3:
Original post by EmilySarah00
No one in my year does either! In fact I’m the only person in my CompSci class that even takes maths... I bet you can just imagine how painful that is! :facepalm:

What are you going to do at uni? If you’re planning to go that is! :eek3:

All bar 4 members of my computer science class take maths, I'm the only one in FM though. As for uni, I'm going to study Computer Science (Software Engineering) at Royal Holloway. I can imagine your pain!
All bar 4 members of my computer science class take maths, I'm the only one in FM though. As for uni, I'm going to study Computer Science (Software Engineering) at Royal Holloway. I can imagine your pain!

My class simply is 4 members me being the only one who does maths! Honestly it’s so painful though, like we’ve been through the whole maths based unit twice already but haven’t finished the rest of the course!
I’m hoping to go to Durham to do a Maths and Computer Science joint honours :smile:
Original post by Fizzy98
Hi both of u
As I'm sure you are both aware there is a LOT of theory u need to learn to be prepared for any question in the exam. What I did was revise for my exams separately. Idk what exam boards u guys are on but my exams in second year were on the family and education. So I made lots and lots of flashcards!! For example I'd have one pack for functionalism & the family, and in that pack I'd have cards with a theorist's name on one side and a point they make on the other. Then I'd have feminism and the family etc etc. I did the same for the education pack. Don't overload the card, you wanna make it short and easy to remember!! Like a few key words, just an outline of what they believe. This will also help you find your own voice and phrasing in your essays as you won't just be copying from your text book. Get different coloured ones and put an elastic band around each section so you don't mix them up! And use coloured pens, this helps
My teacher for sociology was incredible and gave us a lot of example questions, basically every possible question that could come up. Has your teacher done that? If not, ask them to give you some practice questions!! If they're rubbish and for some reason say no, you can probably access past papers online although I'm not sure as I suppose you guys are one of the first doing the two years of A levels in one? I just missed that!!
As I said above, revision posters are what got me through a levels. I basically did the same thing as I did with the flashcards. I have massive paper that you can get from Hobbycraft, like it's huge. Put them next to your bed or anywhere you'll be a lot and have a poster for each exam, or something specific if you are struggling to remember anything really badly. (Remember you can do this for all subjects!!) use a different colour pen for each section, eg pink for functionalism, blue for feminism. Just bullet point info or do little spider diagrams.
Also, memorise structures of questions so you have a clear path of what you will want to write.
I know it sounds like an awful lot but you have plenty of time and it's really not too bad because it's not as if you're sat at a desk doing these revision techniques, you can be lying in bed or on a train, or getting a friend or family member to test you. It's fun! (As fun as revision can be).
I didn't use this for sociology so much but I'm sure it will be handy, it's a very good website!! Especially if your teachers were as bad as mine were in my other 2 subjects, I basically used this website to teach myself!!
I wish you both the best of luck, if you need any help you know where I am! Drop me a message any time. I'm doing sociology at uni now so I clearly love this subject haha. You will be absolutely fine as long as you prepare yourself :smile:

THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH!! So so detailed and really helpful... best advice I’ve received so far. I’ll definitely use some of these techniques! :smile:

Hope uni is treating you well!
Aww thank you so much!! This really helped. Obviously there's so much content in sociology, and i have the worst memory so it's just knowing how i can consolidate the knowledge and know it all! But thank you so much for your tips, and good luck to you at uni!! :smile:
Original post by Fizzy98
Hi both of u

Quick Reply

Latest