The Student Room Group

No period for 3 months - should i see a doctor?

So it's now been 3 months since i last got my period but i don't know whether this is something i should go to see my GP about.

i'm 17, definitely can't be pregnant (seeing as I'm a virgin). I've never had regular periods (I usually have about 7 periods in the course of a year) but this is the longest in a while that I've gone without anything.

I haven't been more stressed than normal lately, done any rigorous exercise, eaten less - nothing that would explain why this is happening.

Sometimes, I still get the warning signs my period is coming (my skin gets worse and my breasts get tender) but no actual blood ever comes - this doesn't happen all the time though.

I know they say when you're young, it's completely normal to have irregular periods but I first started my period like almost 5 years ago and it's never normalised?
Reply 1
There's no harm in visiting your GP; if he dismisses it as nothing that's great but if he says there's a problem - at least you can get it sorted.
Hmmm I would, it sounds unusual and even though less periods may seem to be a good thing probably best to check. People's bodies work differently but still I would think best to be safe just in case it is anything
Reply 3
probably
Hiya!

Definitely go see a doctor, even if it’s to get piece of mind. I suspect you may have what I have (as well as 2-10% of women do), PCOS (polysystic ovary syndrome). It basically means your body is not ovulating correctly due to little fluid filled sacks on your ovaries. This results in irregular periods as well as lots of other delightful (not!) symptoms. It’s not a huge worry, and symptoms can usually be treated with the pill. I too had periods normally, then at 17-21 they became more and more spaced. To check if it’s this they’ll ask for symptoms and maybe do an ultrasound. They may do blood tests anyway to check your hormone levels.

Alternately it could just be you! and very unlikely there could be something more serious (hopefully not!) like premenopause (but I suspect you would of had more symptoms)

Best of luck!
sounds like PCOS, I have it too and have never had regular periods
Hmm it could be nothing but I would say go to the the GP just in case, there's no harm. I'm the other end of the spectrum - 19 full blown periods a year so you're lucky in some respects! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya!

Definitely go see a doctor, even if it’s to get piece of mind. I suspect you may have what I have (as well as 2-10% of women do), PCOS (polysystic ovary syndrome). It basically means your body is not ovulating correctly due to little fluid filled sacks on your ovaries. This results in irregular periods as well as lots of other delightful (not!) symptoms. It’s not a huge worry, and symptoms can usually be treated with the pill. I too had periods normally, then at 17-21 they became more and more spaced. To check if it’s this they’ll ask for symptoms and maybe do an ultrasound. They may do blood tests anyway to check your hormone levels.

Alternately it could just be you! and very unlikely there could be something more serious (hopefully not!) like premenopause (but I suspect you would of had more symptoms)

Best of luck!

I think I probably will end up going to the GP just to check :smile: I've definitely thought about it being PCOS but I don't have any of the other symptoms listed for it other than the irregular periods which have made me doubt it being that but i might be wrong I guess
I think I probably will end up going to the GP just to check :smile: I've definitely thought about it being PCOS but I don't have any of the other symptoms listed for it other than the irregular periods which have made me doubt it being that but i might be wrong I guess

Its deffinately worth discussing with your dr! I didnt even know i had PCOS until i was in lots of pain with growing cysts! I knew my periods were off but the drs always put it down to hormones! Although in the grand scheme of PCOS 3 months with no period isnt a lot, its better to be diagnosed sooner rather than later!!
Reply 9
So it's now been 3 months since i last got my period but i don't know whether this is something i should go to see my GP about.

i'm 17, definitely can't be pregnant (seeing as I'm a virgin). I've never had regular periods (I usually have about 7 periods in the course of a year) but this is the longest in a while that I've gone without anything.

I haven't been more stressed than normal lately, done any rigorous exercise, eaten less - nothing that would explain why this is happening.

Sometimes, I still get the warning signs my period is coming (my skin gets worse and my breasts get tender) but no actual blood ever comes - this doesn't happen all the time though.

I know they say when you're young, it's completely normal to have irregular periods but I first started my period like almost 5 years ago and it's never normalised?

Hello!

On multiple occasions I have gone 5+ and 3+ months without a period and did not go to the doctor as nothing seemed amiss. However everyone's body works differently so if you think it's best then go to the doctor as it is likely nothing but it's important to at least consider other causes. (im a bit of a hypocrite to say this haha)

Quick Reply

Latest