The Student Room Group

im just so confused by the universe, help!

It is said that the universe is the only thing to exist and everything exists within it. However, its also said that the universe is expanding. But I dont understand what the universe is expanding into if the only space that exists is within it. Someone who knows their physics please help!! I feel like im just being stupid but im just confused :smile:
I would also like this explaining to be honest because it's thrown me.

Is it that since the universe is everything; and the universe is getting bigger. Everything is getting bigger?:confused:
Reply 2
Expansion just means that the objects within the universe are getting further apart, not that the universe itself is expanding into something else outside of it. The scale of space itself changes.
Original post by 04MR17
I would also like this explaining to be honest because it's thrown me.

Is it that since the universe is everything; and the universe is getting bigger. Everything is getting bigger?:confused:

Glad to know im not the only one hahah!
Original post by gjd800
Expansion just means that the objects within the universe are getting further apart, not that the universe itself is expanding into something else outside of it. The scale of space itself changes.

Ohhh right this makes sense, I was thinking that the universe itself was getting bigger. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest