The Student Room Group

Life is f****d

So I've got a 2.2 from one of the worst unis in the country and haven't even had an interview for any decent job (paying >18k) since I graduated. I'm completing a masters at a good uni and will be lucky to get a merit. Iv realised that my whole academic career i'v just learnt theoretical b******t that has no application in the real world. I've applied for a few other masters that actually have a big practical component but won't be able to afford it (probably) as iv already got a postgraduate loan for my current masters. I might be able to get a career development loan but I doubt it because my credit history is not good. What am I meant to do? Work in McDonald's? My personal life is another area of disaster and I have a drink/drug problem. I'm just hoping to get the career development loan and go to some uni campus somewhere to start fresh. Or get a dream job in the Natural History Museum in the learning department (which pays about 25k).

Do you guys have any advice or have you been in a similar situation?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bongo Bongo
So I've got a 2.2 from one of the worst unis in the country and haven't even had an interview for any decent job (paying >18k) since I graduated. I'm completing a masters at a good uni and will be lucky to get a merit. Iv realised that my whole academic career i'v just learnt theoretical b******t that has no application in the real world. I've applied for a few other masters that actually have a big practical component but won't be able to afford it (probably) as iv already got a postgraduate loan for my current masters. I might be able to get a career development loan but I doubt it because my credit history is not good. What am I meant to do? Work in McDonald's? My personal life is another area of disaster and I have a drink/drug problem. I'm just hoping to get the career development loan and go to some uni campus somewhere to start fresh. Or get a dream job in the Natural History Museum in the learning department (which pays about 25k).

Do you guys have any advice or have you been in a similar situation?
Wow that seems rough.:puppyeyes: What sort of field is your degree and masters in?:redface:
Original post by 04MR17
Wow that seems rough.:puppyeyes: What sort of field is your degree and masters in?:redface:

My degree is in Anthropology and my masters is in Evolutionary Psychology.
My degree is in Anthropology and my masters is in Evolutionary Psychology.

Ah I see.:s-smilie: That is a difficult field to crack.:sadnod: Have you been given reasons why you've been rejected from any well-paying jobs you've applied for?:redface:
Original post by 04MR17
Ah I see.:s-smilie: That is a difficult field to crack.:sadnod: Have you been given reasons why you've been rejected from any well-paying jobs you've applied for?:redface:

No not at all, I've been applying for museum and lab based jobs mainly, I don't really want a typical office job. I've applied for a biological anthropology msc which has a heavy osteology and genetics component so I'm thinking if I pick up some good skills I'll have a chance of getting a lab or archeological job after. Hopefully il get the career development loan.
No not at all, I've been applying for museum and lab based jobs mainly, I don't really want a typical office job. I've applied for a biological anthropology msc which has a heavy osteology and genetics component so I'm thinking if I pick up some good skills I'll have a chance of getting a lab or archeological job after. Hopefully il get the career development loan.

Yay positivity :rave:

Quick Reply

Latest