The Student Room Group

Student Finance

Hi, I've just received confirmation of my place at Uni and will be applying for student finance when it opens. I am a mature student and have been working for the past 3 years but I do plan on giving my job up or going down to 16 hours if I am able too, I was just wondering how this affects my student finance? If I do leave my job I wont have any evidence of this until I start uni as I'm working up until my start date and obviously they ask about your household income. Many thanks for your help in advance.
Original post by laurajade1701
Hi, I've just received confirmation of my place at Uni and will be applying for student finance when it opens. I am a mature student and have been working for the past 3 years but I do plan on giving my job up or going down to 16 hours if I am able too, I was just wondering how this affects my student finance? If I do leave my job I wont have any evidence of this until I start uni as I'm working up until my start date and obviously they ask about your household income. Many thanks for your help in advance.

Hi laurajade1701,

You can be confident that as a full time student over 25, we do not take your income into account, only unearned income is asked for on the application.

If you are married or living with a partner then they will be asked to provide their income to support your application.

Regards Rona
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi laurajade1701,

You can be confident that as a full time student over 25, we do not take your income into account, only unearned income is asked for on the application.

If you are married or living with a partner then they will be asked to provide their income to support your application.

Regards Rona

Hi, thank you for your help. I'm not over 25 I'm 22...I'll be 23 when I go to Uni. I live with my Mum so I'm assuming it will just go off of her income? Also what is unearned income? Thank you again.
Original post by laurajade1701
Hi, thank you for your help. I'm not over 25 I'm 22...I'll be 23 when I go to Uni. I live with my Mum so I'm assuming it will just go off of her income? Also what is unearned income? Thank you again.

Hi laurajade,

Once you make your application you will indicate that your mum will be supporting your application, she will then be asked to provide her financial details.

Examples of student unearned income would be

Bank or Building Society Gross Interest

Property Lettings or Rent

Dividends from investments/shares/unit trusts

Trusts or Sponsorships

Pensions

Any other payment received for attending the course (This does not include University Bursaries).

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending