The Student Room Group

Should I reapply to Warwick next year based on this alone?

Dear Person xxxxx

Thank you for your recent email requesting feedback on your unsuccessful application to study Economics at Warwick.

As you are no doubt aware, Economics courses at Warwick are extremely competitive; last year we received over 2,900 applications making the student to place ratio approximately 10 to 1. Competition for places is extremely strong; even candidates predicted to exceed the standard offer are sometimes unsuccessful simply because we are unable to make offers to every student who meets the entry requirements. We appreciate that we are fortunate to have such a strong applicant pool but the negative side is that we have to disappoint a significant number of very able applicants for no other reason than the level of competition.

Faced with this number of good applications the Course Selectors have to make extremely fine distinctions in order to select the best candidates. We look at every aspect of the application including achieved and predicted qualifications, any contextual information about this achievement, the personal statement and the academic reference. Due to the level of competition, the qualitative information provided is considered as carefully as the applicant's academic profile.

On this occasion the selectors indicated that despite your obvious interest in Economics, the critical engagement with the literature relating to the subject area was not as expansive as other, similarly qualified candidates. In particular, the course selector considered that your expression of your academic interest in the course and your engagement with the type of course we offer at Warwick did not come across as well as that of other equally well qualified applicants.

While this means that your grades were not the main reason for the course selectors' decision, it also means that we cannot indicate how successful another application might be.

We appreciate that you are disappointed with this decision but please be assured that your application went through a very rigorous selection procedure and you were judged against other, very exceptional candidates. Unfortunately we are not able to reconsider you for Economics.

We are sorry that we cannot be more positive, but hope that you have found this useful in understanding the selection process. Thank you for your interest in Warwick, and best wishes for your future studies.

Scroll to see replies

Where else did you apply and what are your predicted grades, UMS at AS, A-level subjects and GCSEs? We can't really give any advice off that letter.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by UCAS and Chill
Where else did you apply and what are your predicted grades, UMS at AS, A-level subjects and GCSEs? We can't really give any advice off that letter.

gcses 7 A*s 5 As

As a IN MATHS BUT C IN FURTHER MATHS

PREDICTED GRADES: 3a*S
Original post by veeraxox
gcses 7 A*s 5 As

As a IN MATHS BUT C IN FURTHER MATHS

PREDICTED GRADES: 3a*S

What was your UMS in maths? I can imagine top unis aren't gonna look too favourable on your C in further maths, and perhaps your school has a history of over predicting students so unis might be looking at your predicted grades with caution.

And where else are you applying?
I don't think they do Interviews (or do they?). But you should go on the uni's course websites and see which modules there are, then look at their reading lists and mention stuff you read about in your PS. If it is advanced enough then they may be impressed, especially if you can explain it well at interview.

If you want to go to LSE, don't apply for Econ. Instead apply to a course like Business Maths and stats. Then after your first year if you get a first you can go to Econ
Reply 5
What was your UMS in maths? I can imagine top unis aren't gonna look too favourable on your C in further maths, and perhaps your school has a history of over predicting students so unis might be looking at your predicted grades with caution.

applied to notts and got in
Reply 6

my school has no history or overpredicting grades apparently

i got 256 UMS in maths
my school has no history or overpredicting grades apparently

i got 256 UMS in maths

Well getting 85% in AS maths isn't a particularly reassuring stat for unis to see when you've been predicted an A* in maths. And you still haven't said what other unis you're applying to (other than Nottingham which you've been calling crappy)?
(edited 6 years ago)
Dear Person xxxxx

Thank you for your recent email requesting feedback on your unsuccessful application to study Economics at Warwick.

As you are no doubt aware, Economics courses at Warwick are extremely competitive; last year we received over 2,900 applications making the student to place ratio approximately 10 to 1. Competition for places is extremely strong; even candidates predicted to exceed the standard offer are sometimes unsuccessful simply because we are unable to make offers to every student who meets the entry requirements. We appreciate that we are fortunate to have such a strong applicant pool but the negative side is that we have to disappoint a significant number of very able applicants for no other reason than the level of competition.

Faced with this number of good applications the Course Selectors have to make extremely fine distinctions in order to select the best candidates. We look at every aspect of the application including achieved and predicted qualifications, any contextual information about this achievement, the personal statement and the academic reference. Due to the level of competition, the qualitative information provided is considered as carefully as the applicant's academic profile.

On this occasion the selectors indicated that despite your obvious interest in Economics, the critical engagement with the literature relating to the subject area was not as expansive as other, similarly qualified candidates. In particular, the course selector considered that your expression of your academic interest in the course and your engagement with the type of course we offer at Warwick did not come across as well as that of other equally well qualified applicants.

While this means that your grades were not the main reason for the course selectors' decision, it also means that we cannot indicate how successful another application might be.

We appreciate that you are disappointed with this decision but please be assured that your application went through a very rigorous selection procedure and you were judged against other, very exceptional candidates. Unfortunately we are not able to reconsider you for Economics.

We are sorry that we cannot be more positive, but hope that you have found this useful in understanding the selection process. Thank you for your interest in Warwick, and best wishes for your future studies.

The rejection is for a very specific reason. If you achieve your target grades this summer and then identify and rectify this weakness in an application for 2019 entry you would have a decent chance.

You have to decide whether it is worth it given that you have been given an offer by a decidedly non-crappy university, ie Nottingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
The rejection is for a very specific reason. If you achieve your target grades this summer and then identify and rectify this weakness in an application for 2019 entry you would have a decent chance.

You have to decide whether it is worth it given that you have been given an offer by a decidedly non-crappy university, ie Nottingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't you mean crappy lol?
Reply 10
Well getting 85% in AS maths isn't a particularly reassuring stat for unis to see when you've been predicted an A* in maths. And you still haven't said what other unis you're applying to (other than Nottingham which you've been calling crappy)?

why is not a reassuring stat

i applied to manchester and leeds

insuring manchester
why is not a reassuring stat

i applied to manchester and leeds

insuring manchester

Because getting 90% in C3 and C4 isn't easy when you can only get 85% in the far easier AS modules.
Reply 12
Because getting 90% in C3 and C4 isn't easy when you can only get 85% in the far easier AS modules.

true but i can only improve as a mathematician

and I learnt from my mistakes from last time
true but i can only improve as a mathematician

and I learnt from my mistakes from last time

What did you get in C1 and C2? And you may improve but it's far harder material you're being tested on so it's not easy to get an A*.

But then only you know your ability, and you don't even need an A* in maths. So if you think you can get A*AA this year then it's all down to whether you can write a decent personal statement (where you slipped up this time round).
Don't you mean crappy lol?

No, I've criticised you over this before. Once again, if you think that Nottingham is crappy for Economics then you don't understand the concept of crappy. Perhaps you would, however, if Warwick had come straight out and said the reason for rejecting you was 'Your crappy personal statement'.
No, I've criticised you over this before. Once again, if you think that Nottingham is crappy for Economics then you don't understand the concept of crappy. Perhaps you would, however, if Warwick had come straight out and said the reason for rejecting you was 'Your crappy personal statement'.

Lol dude chill 😂 OP made a thread yesterday complaining how he had ended up at a crappy uni (Nottingham) studying economics. I thought you were referencing that but my bad then.

And no you haven't criticised me over that before because I think Nottingham is a solid uni, a few of my friends are going there and I'm really happy for them.

Edit: I remember you from OP's thread yesterday. You're getting me mixed up with OP.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16

They seem to be pretty clear in expressing that you don't seem to have done enough reading around the subject, couldn't express why you're interested in the course and didn't research the course enough to show that you understand what kind of content is involved in the Warwick course.
Lol dude chill 😂 OP made a thread yesterday complaining how he had ended up at a crappy uni (Nottingham) studying economics. I thought you were referencing that but my bad then.

And no you haven't criticised me over that before because I think Nottingham is a solid uni, a few of my friends are going there and I'm really happy for them.

Edit: I remember you from OP's thread yesterday. You're getting me mixed up with OP.

Ugh my apologies!!! Yes I was getting you mixed up with the OP, who was indeed being tiresome yesterday. Sorry once again...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ugh my apologies!!! Yes I was getting you mixed up with the OP, who was indeed being tiresome yesterday. Sorry once again...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahaha no worries. And yeah I completely feel you, I looked through his threads yesterday and he posts the same questions everyday in like 5 different subs lol
Ahaha no worries. And yeah I completely feel you, I looked through his threads yesterday and he posts the same questions everyday in like 5 different subs lol

I know, hence the harsh nature of my responses!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending