The Student Room Group

Self teaching A level Chemistry?

If i start now, is it completely doable? Where would I start? Any advice and help would be much appreciated :smile:
have you done AS chemistry? if so then its possible to self study A2 chemistry only if you do 3 subjects in total.
Reply 2
Original post by howinteresting
If i start now, is it completely doable? Where would I start? Any advice and help would be much appreciated :smile:

Well you could try it out, use chemrevise and other topics to study topic one and then try questions on topic one if you think you do well enough then do the whole thing

What Spec will you be using? i.e. OCR, AQA, Edexcel. Please quote me so I got notified when you've responded to me.
Original post by Kaneki Amano
What Spec will you be using? i.e. OCR, AQA, Edexcel. Please quote me so I got notified when you've responded to me.

AQA
Original post by assassinbunny123
have you done AS chemistry? if so then its possible to self study A2 chemistry only if you do 3 subjects in total.

No I haven't i'm planning to start that now
AQA

hmmm. AQA and OCR are quite similar but as far as I know AQA is in more detail than OCR. It should still be possible though. Here's two channels that will be of great use. Allery Chemistry and ASFC Chemsitry (mind you, asfc does use OCR spec in their videos but it's still incredibly useful).
Wish you the best of luck.
Reply 7

Hi, I took Alevel chem and bio last year, and was part of the first cohort of students to sit the new Alevel system exams.. with AQA btw. If you’re just starting AS chemistry then I guess it’s doable if you’re diligent and motivated. It’s not an easy Alevel especially as the new system aim to make the course more rigorous. However if you’re starting The beginning of A2, then it might be a bit more challenging you’ll probably require a tutor or a teacher. Look, my advice to you is to do as many past papers as possible and don’t rely on the specimens!! We were only given the specimen papers as guidance to merely represent what the actual exams would look like.. which sorry to say was total BS. Get yourself some revision guide books, I recommend CGP( the new version). Also with self teaching I think it would be good to assess yourself with end of unit tests, to re-assure your understanding of the material. Like I said do many past papers at the end of units and chapters, use highlighters and pens etc. ALSO... another thing that helped me and my peers is reviewing our mock papers or any general quiz we had completed. We did this by reviewing the paper, checking it and understanding our mistakes and where we might have gone wrong. In that case make a document with the question and the wrong answer that was answered and next to it write the right answer. That way you know what the incorrect and correct answer and when you reassess yourself, hopefully you’re much more successful the next time. Other than that, try your best, failure is only natural but the important thing is that you learn from that and go on from there. Good luck, I hope this has helped in some way 🙂
Original post by Kaneki Amano
hmmm. AQA and OCR are quite similar but as far as I know AQA is in more detail than OCR. It should still be possible though. Here's two channels that will be of great use. Allery Chemistry and ASFC Chemsitry (mind you, asfc does use OCR spec in their videos but it's still incredibly useful).
Wish you the best of luck.

i'll definetely look into OCR and see if it's worth switching and I'll be sure to use those channels too.

Thank you very much, and for your reply.
Original post by *RHCP*
Hi, I took Alevel chem and bio last year, and was part of the first cohort of students to sit the new Alevel system exams.. with AQA btw. If you’re just starting AS chemistry then I guess it’s doable if you’re diligent and motivated. It’s not an easy Alevel especially as the new system aim to make the course more rigorous. However if you’re starting The beginning of A2, then it might be a bit more challenging you’ll probably require a tutor or a teacher. Look, my advice to you is to do as many past papers as possible and don’t rely on the specimens!! We were only given the specimen papers as guidance to merely represent what the actual exams would look like.. which sorry to say was total BS. Get yourself some revision guide books, I recommend CGP( the new version). Also with self teaching I think it would be good to assess yourself with end of unit tests, to re-assure your understanding of the material. Like I said do many past papers at the end of units and chapters, use highlighters and pens etc. ALSO... another thing that helped me and my peers is reviewing our mock papers or any general quiz we had completed. We did this by reviewing the paper, checking it and understanding our mistakes and where we might have gone wrong. In that case make a document with the question and the wrong answer that was answered and next to it write the right answer. That way you know what the incorrect and correct answer and when you reassess yourself, hopefully you’re much more successful the next time. Other than that, try your best, failure is only natural but the important thing is that you learn from that and go on from there. Good luck, I hope this has helped in some way 🙂

Thanks for your reply, it's really helpful. And yes I'm starting from the beginning with at least an hour a day. I didn't know that about the specimens! Thanks for making me aware lol and I'm buying the CGP books for bio and chem. I agree with you on end of unit tests - i'll be doing that quite frequently as well.

Thanks again :smile:
It is most definitely possible! I am a GCSE student, and I was unsure of whether I would struggle with chemistry a level, so in the term holiday, I dedicated 2 weeks to learn all the AS (Year 1) concepts. I looked through the textbook and did some of the questions in it and then I completed some past papers, and then went on youtube to see the required practicals. In total, I spent around 60 hours doing this (I enjoy chemistry so it was fun). At the end of the week, I did paper 1 and 2 from June 2016 (new spec), and I got 126/160 and to get an A you needed 103. However, science has always just made sense for me, and I can easily visualize, understand and apply knowledge. If I were to do English or any language at AS level I would end up with a D or less. So what I am trying to say is, it can be easy or hard depending on what you are good at and what you enjoy. Also, I assume A2 is going to be much harder than AS

Quick Reply

Latest