The Student Room Group

is undergraduate study in Germany REALLY for free?

I wanted to apply to technical university of Munich. can someone please help me understand this? is it like free FREE? (of course I know there's a "small" fee)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarah99630
I wanted to apply to technical university of Munich. can someone please help me understand this? is it like free FREE? (of course I know there's a "small" fee)

Well... yes (other than a semester fee which is small) except for universities in the state of Baden Württemberg where tuition is now necessary for Non-EU international students. Though there are other things to consider such as whether you have a required level of German, because if I recall correctly... TUM doesn't have an English language course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by wolfmoon88
Well... yes (other than a semester fee which is small) except for universities in the state of Baden Württemberg where tuition is now necessary for Non-EU international students. Though there are other things to consider such as whether you have a required level of German, because if I recall correctly... TUM doesn't have an English language course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay, thank you very much! Have I missed the deadline for applying to TUM for sep 2019 intake?
okay, thank you very much! Have I missed the deadline for applying to TUM for sep 2019 intake?

For the September 2019 intake, applications period hasn't even started yet. It will commence in Spring 2019.
Reply 4
For the September 2019 intake, applications period hasn't even started yet. It will commence in Spring 2019.

oh wow, thank you very much. thats great to hear.
Will I stand a chance with AAAA a level predicted grades (AS:ABBB) considering I don't do much outside of academics? Im pretty sure it must be very competitive.
oh wow, thank you very much. thats great to hear.
Will I stand a chance with AAAA a level predicted grades (AS:ABBB) considering I don't do much outside of academics? Im pretty sure it must be very competitive.

If you apply in 2019 won't you have finished A levels by then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
If you apply in 2019 won't you have finished A levels by then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG SO SORRY. I meant sep 2018 hahaha, that's why I asked if I've missed the deadline. Sorry, my bad. So have I missed the deadline for sep 2018?
OMG SO SORRY. I meant sep 2018 hahaha, that's why I asked if I've missed the deadline. Sorry, my bad. So have I missed the deadline for sep 2018?

No you haven't (Deadline is in July I believe) but German universities generally require students to have results on hand before applying; however you could contact TUM's international office and ask about applying with predicted scores... since you took AS exams; it may be possible to submit the application with your AS scores and predicteds then submit the results when you get them in August.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
No you haven't (Deadline is in July I believe) but German universities generally require students to have results on hand before applying; however you could contact TUM's international office and ask about applying with predicted scores... since you took AS exams; it may be possible to submit the application with your AS scores and predicteds then submit the results when you get them in August.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't mind applying around end june,I thought I would be disadvantaged though if I did that. Thank you so much for your useful info. I really appreciate it. :smile:
I don't mind applying around end june,I thought I would be disadvantaged though if I did that. Thank you so much for your useful info. I really appreciate it. :smile:

Never heard about applicants being disadvantaged by submitting later as long as it is before the deadline. Do you have a required level of German already? TestDaf C1.

No problem :smile: Good luck! Quote me please if TUM allows you to submit your application with predicteds... because I've only heard about people doing this and most people I know apply post results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never heard about applicants being disadvantaged by submitting later as long as it is before the deadline. Do you have a required level of German already? TestDaf C1.

No problem :smile: Good luck! Quote me please if TUM allows you to submit your application with predicteds... because I've only heard about people doing this and most people I know apply post results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha I only know very little german from the duolingo app. (and ive forgotten almost everything)
Sure, I'll keep u updated. :smile:
haha I only know very little german from the duolingo app. (and ive forgotten almost everything)
Sure, I'll keep u updated. :smile:

TUM only has one course offered in English which is BSc Management and Technology: http://www.eunicas.co.uk/index.php/eunicas/course/bsc-management-technology-1560.html: I suppose this is the course you are looking to apply to? Otherwise your lack of German proficiency may be an issue :redface:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
TUM only has one course offered in English which is BSc Management and Technology: http://www.eunicas.co.uk/index.php/eunicas/course/bsc-management-technology-1560.html: I suppose this is the course you are looking to apply to? Otherwise your lack of German proficiency may be an issue :redface:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

no mine is biomedical engineering. true, that isn't a small issue at all. I'll see if it's possible or not.
no mine is biomedical engineering. true, that isn't a small issue at all. I'll see if it's possible or not.

Well :erm: definitely not a small issue; you would need to gain C1 proficiency (Near fluent) before applying or at the very least B1/B2 :/ so probably not possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well :erm: definitely not a small issue; you would need to gain C1 proficiency (Near fluent) before applying or at the very least B1/B2 :/ so probably not possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

yah that makes a lot of sense.
Thank you very much! It's fine, I'll look into other unis, not specifically Germany.
yah that makes a lot of sense.
Thank you very much! It's fine, I'll look into other unis, not specifically Germany.

No problem; If you are looking for English courses in Europe that do biomedical engineering; http://www.eunicas.co.uk/index.php/eunicas/search.html?ordering=&searchphrase=all&searchword=Biomedical+Engineering&view_ire=0
^check out this link

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem; If you are looking for English courses in Europe that do biomedical engineering; http://www.eunicas.co.uk/index.php/eunicas/search.html?ordering=&searchphrase=all&searchword=Biomedical+Engineering&view_ire=0
^check out this link

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yay! I'll check it out.
yay! I'll check it out.

Great :smile: let me know if you need further advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending