The Student Room Group

How often do you visit your GP?

This sounds like a really weird question but I’m genuinely interested. I was talking to a friend the other day who said she went every 3-4 weeks, despite not having a long term medical condition and visiting for things like a common cold and it almost made me mad? The last two times I’ve visited I’ve had to wait over a month for an appointment, and yes whilst the NHS is extremely underfunded it isn’t being helped by people like her who book unnecessary appointments all the time. I go maybe once or twice a year? I think that’s normal?

Scroll to see replies

Every two weeks but have to so. Agree with you about unnecessary appointments for stuff like colds
Haven't been in 2 years.
More often than I'd like to. Had to go twice this week plus one trip to hospital.
I can't even remember the last time I went that is how long it is been.

I totally agree with you about unnecessary appointments and during the winter the NHS had to even make an advert saying when it was right to visit your GP or hospital.

Believe it or not people go to hospitals when they have colds.

We need to raise awareness with less educated people like some migrants.
Reply 5
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
I can't even remember the last time I went that is how long it is been.

I totally agree with you about unnecessary appointments and during the winter the NHS had to even make an advert saying when it was right to visit your GP or hospital.

Believe it or not people go to hospitals when they have colds.

We need to raise awareness with less educated people like some migrants.

Exactly! I wasn't born in Britain, but I do have British Nationality, our family moved here in 2003 (I was 2 back then) and my parents make a HUGE deal out of a simple cold, I mean more likely than not it's not even that bad of a cold. I completely agree with you as it makes me feel annoyed when people unnecessarily book appointments that they don't even need!
Probably about 18 months, honestly can't remember.
I wanna say anywhere between 8 and 25 times a year, depending on how I'm doing and how many hospital referrals I need etc. I have multiple chronic illnesses though and if I didn't I'd probably die :laugh: The higher end of that number includes appointments for blood tests, med reviews, asthma review, referrals, post-asthma attack check-ups, injuries relating to chronic illness, new symptoms in existing conditions, complications from viruses, test results and stuff like that. Since September I've been 4 times I think, and hospitals 4 times since January, so I tend to spend more time at various hospital clinics now lol
Hmm since September I've been to 5 GP appointments and 1 blood test, that's completely unnatural for me though but I'm suddenly running in to a lot of both mental and physical health complications, none of these trips have been for cold or flu related issues, I wouldn't go to the GP for that! Before this year I'd probably go maybe twice a year if that?
Once every few years, typically. I avoid going for the most part.
When I was like 6? I'm 13 now.
I’ve already been four times this year 😖
That does sound quite excessive, especially given the apparent reasoning.
I used to go to the walk-in (wasn't registered with a GP there cos I was split half and half between home and uni) like every month with relatively basic stuff like mild infections cos I was already ill so those little things really pushed me over the edge (and I guess I was extra susceptible to them given how often they came about).
Now that I'm managing my health better and have sorted out diagnosing some stuff (and gotten rid of those pesky tonsils) it's probably more like once every few months. That will hopefully reduce even more to just my regular blood tests soon (which I think are like twice a year) and the odd drs appt when I need it.

Maybe suggest it would be easier for your friend if she visited a pharmacy for things like colds. There's really nothing more a doctor can do than a pharmacist for stuff like that.
Last time I went was last year.

I would only go to the GP if I knew it was something more serious than a cold or a flu.
I just don't want to waste my GP's and other patient's time for an illness that is easy to self-treat.
Whenever i need to. Haven’t been there for over a year though since i don’t really need anything lol
Reply 15
Not been for at least 4 years and that was for a Chest Infection.
Whenever I need a little something to take the edge off
probably once every couple of years (at a push)
Whenever I need it
On average every month but I can usually see the nurse practitioner instead since they can prescribe meds, do most exams etc.

Quick Reply

Latest