The Student Room Group

The 2018 GCSE Options/Preferences Thread

Hey Year 8’s and 9’s,
You’ve probably clicked on this if you’re still conflicted about...
WHAT TO CHOOSE FOR YOUR GCSES
so, hello, I’m here to help!

I’m in Year 10, and picked my options last year.
I KNOW HOW IT FEELS.
I decided to create this thread, and I’m fully aware that the student room is full of mostly university students and a level students so I don’t know if it will be of any use at all, but if any of you are not sure what to take this thread’s here for you!

If you’re just looking for a bit of advice, here are my 5 top tips...

Spoiler

If you’re considering a subject that you haven’t done before such as media, business studies or health and social care, try to do your research! Find out the exam board you’ll be on for that course and take a look at what it’s all about. From that, you should hopefully have some idea of if the subject will suit you.

Still stuck?
That’s what this thread is for!
Ask whatever questions you like, and I’m sure there’ll be plenty of people who can help you out :biggrin:

Just want to discuss your options?
Let us know what you’re planning on taking! :yep:

(and hopefully this thread won’t be dead. That would be awkward! Keeping my fingers crossed!)

SubjectTo help you make the decision, we've put together a series of threads which answer some of the most common questions you might like to consider before taking the course.

In each thread there is information about the GCSE and A level syllabus (including for core subjects), and if you have any other questions then you can ask on the thread :smile:

More guides will be added as they are made :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

aha this is such a great idea!
I remember stressing so much over choosing my options and tbh I wish I’d discovered TSR then:tongue:
Original post by Toastiekid
aha this is such a great idea!
I remember stressing so much over choosing my options and tbh I wish I’d discovered TSR then:tongue:

yeah but i bet nobody will talk on it lol :dontknow:
Reply 3
Advice threads like these are soooo important! I wish my school had set up some kind of year 10/11 and year8/9 buddy system, so we could give advice to them, because I see so many people in my year group regretting their choices due to lack of honest info! Computer Science is NOT an easy GCSE - it's very technical and logical, but at the same time, it's my 'break' subject on a timetable of French, Geography, Triple Science, English & Maths. My school forced us down certain pathways depending on our ability (despite their pleas that it wasn't based on ability at all), since they wanted some students to come out with 'English Baccalaureates' for their statistics. I'm happy with my subjects now, but I probably wouldn't be surviving triple science if they hadn't have put me in an all girls class of 17 (it's an experiment by the school, and I love it - a break from the boys is so refreshing, and we're all so close now!) Computer Science was the only option I actually picked, by the way. I was torn between that and Music, but since I can't compose (I'm not creative at all) I decided against it. Now, due to the amount of sciencey/mathsy subjects on my timetable, my English grade is 3 grades behind my other ones cause I'm just not using the creative side of my brain, but other than that, I'm fine!

I sort of wish I could have History on my timetable but not to be examined in, just to learn about it, but other than that I can say my options have served me pretty well - Peter Symonds College seemed to like them!
Hi, I’m planning to do the IGCSE CIE and I’m planning to take these subjects:
English Language
English Literature
Extended Math
Additional Math
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
BM (National Language)
Computer Science
History/Geography/Business Studies

What do you guys think about the last option that I have, I just cant choose between all 3 ?
I’ll most likely choose History out of those 3 as Im interested in it, but Geography is more towards STEM (which is good ??) and Business Studies seems interesting and a good skill to have.
Also is Business Studies considered as one of the “soft subject” in IGCSE ??
(edited 6 years ago)
Girlllll this is such a great idea!!! Wish i had this when i was choosing my options!:h:
Reply 6
Original post by Awesomerz
Hi, I’m planning to do the IGCSE CIE and I’m planning to take these subjects:
English Language
English Literature
Extended Math
Additional Math
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
BM (National Language)
Computer Science
History/Geography/Business Studies

What do you guys think about the last option that I have, I just cant choose between all 3 ?
I’ll most likely choose History out of those 3 as Im interested in it, but Geography is more towards STEM (which is good ??) and Business Studies seems interesting and a good skill to have.
Also is Business Studies considered as one of the “soft subject” in IGCSE ??

Business Studies, from what I've heard from friends, is definitely an easy GCSE, and isn't considered a 'facilitating' subject, but you might want one of those, with those other options. Don't push yourself too hard unless you genuinely enjoy what you pick. Don't pick stuff just cause it'll get you places - it won't if you die from stress first. Also don't pick Geography just cause it's STEM - you already have the sciences, maths and computer science. No need for another. If you like writing pages and pages of essays, go for history. It's very heavy on fact remembering and revision, but also how well you are at explaining. Geography is nice because it ties in with lots of science - there's a topic of Physics, Biology and Chemistry that relates to geography in some way, so it'll help you out a little there.
Reply 7
Original post by clouddbubbles
Hey Year 8’s and 9’s,
You’ve probably clicked on this if you’re still conflicted about...
WHAT TO CHOOSE FOR YOUR GCSES
so, hello, I’m here to help!

I’m in Year 10, and picked my options last year.
I KNOW HOW IT FEELS.
I decided to create this thread, and I’m fully aware that the student room is full of mostly university students and a level students so I don’t know if it will be of any use at all, but if any of you are not sure what to take this thread’s here for you!

If you’re just looking for a bit of advice, here are my 5 top tips...

Spoiler

If you’re considering a subject that you haven’t done before such as media, business studies or health and social care, try to do your research! Find out the exam board you’ll be on for that course and take a look at what it’s all about. From that, you should hopefully have some idea of if the subject will suit you.

Still stuck?
That’s what this thread is for!
Ask whatever questions you like, and I’m sure there’ll be plenty of people who can help you out :biggrin:

Just want to discuss your options?
Let us know what you’re planning on taking! :yep:

(and hopefully this thread won’t be dead. That would be awkward! Keeping my fingers crossed!)

Honestly whatever you take there will be one thing that you will regret and there's nothing that you can really do about that, so just go with whatever your gonna enjoy and hope for the best!

- Year 10 student
Reply 8
Currently my gcse options are
Maths
English lit and Lang
Triple science
HPQ
German
Geography
Economics
History/Latin
I am not sure whether I should choose history or Latin as I’m quite good at both if them- on course to get level 8 (old national curriculum levels) in history. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Starra
Business Studies, from what I've heard from friends, is definitely an easy GCSE, and isn't considered a 'facilitating' subject, but you might want one of those, with those other options. Don't push yourself too hard unless you genuinely enjoy what you pick. Don't pick stuff just cause it'll get you places - it won't if you die from stress first. Also don't pick Geography just cause it's STEM - you already have the sciences, maths and computer science. No need for another. If you like writing pages and pages of essays, go for history. It's very heavy on fact remembering and revision, but also how well you are at explaining. Geography is nice because it ties in with lots of science - there's a topic of Physics, Biology and Chemistry that relates to geography in some way, so it'll help you out a little there.

Thanks !!
Reply 10
Original post by maths567
Maths
English lit and Lang
Triple science
HPQ
German
Geography
Economics
History/Latin
I am not sure whether I should choose history or Latin as I’m quite good at both if them- on course to get level 8 (old national curriculum levels) in history. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Latin would be very helpful if you were learning a latin-based language.. but since German isn't one of those (at least I don't think so?), you may as well take history. Although you need Latin GCSE to do it at A-level in all the colleges I've seen, it's more of a 'wow' subject than a helpful subject in terms of getting you places. You're probably better off picking history and then it allows you to have more options open to you at A-level. That being said, most Universities only really care about 1 or 2 A-levels in terms of requirements - your other ones are just there to impress.
Maths
English lit and Lang
Triple science
HPQ
German
Geography
Economics
History/Latin

Do either relate to what you want to do in the future? If yes then go for the one that is more relevant. If not I’d go for the one you’ll enjoy (especially if you’ll do well either way!)
I do history (and have friends who do latin) so let me know if you have any questions about them:tongue:
Original post by Starra
Advice threads like these are soooo important! I wish my school had set up some kind of year 10/11 and year8/9 buddy system, so we could give advice to them, because I see so many people in my year group regretting their choices due to lack of honest info! Computer Science is NOT an easy GCSE - it's very technical and logical, but at the same time, it's my 'break' subject on a timetable of French, Geography, Triple Science, English & Maths. My school forced us down certain pathways depending on our ability (despite their pleas that it wasn't based on ability at all), since they wanted some students to come out with 'English Baccalaureates' for their statistics. I'm happy with my subjects now, but I probably wouldn't be surviving triple science if they hadn't have put me in an all girls class of 17 (it's an experiment by the school, and I love it - a break from the boys is so refreshing, and we're all so close now!) Computer Science was the only option I actually picked, by the way. I was torn between that and Music, but since I can't compose (I'm not creative at all) I decided against it. Now, due to the amount of sciencey/mathsy subjects on my timetable, my English grade is 3 grades behind my other ones cause I'm just not using the creative side of my brain, but other than that, I'm fine!

I sort of wish I could have History on my timetable but not to be examined in, just to learn about it, but other than that I can say my options have served me pretty well - Peter Symonds College seemed to like them!

ooh yay thanks for the confidence! :hugs:

100% about the regretting thing - i took geography AND history and now i’ve craving a creative subject :dontknow:
Original post by FloralPrints
Girlllll this is such a great idea!!! Wish i had this when i was choosing my options!:h:

honestly same!
i’m happy that it’s of use for some people so far too! :heart:
Reply 14
Maths
English lit and Lang
Triple science
HPQ
German
Geography
Economics
History/Latin

Firstly HPQ is a weird one, most schools probably won't offer that, and for good reason. Take history, learning two languages especially a dead language is quite hard at GCSE level.
Original post by Joel TJ
Firstly HPQ is a weird one, most schools probably won't offer that, and for good reason. Take history, learning two languages especially a dead language is quite hard at GCSE level.

No it isn't... I take French, Spanish, German, Latin and I'm managing fine.
I also take history so I can help if you want to ask about any of those subjects :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by mundosinfin
No it isn't... I take French, Spanish, German, Latin and I'm managing fine.
I also take history so I can help if you want to ask about any of those subjects :wink:

Why bother learning four languages, you will probably never be able to be fluent in all four of them. You'll have to learn millions of words to get decent grades. And learning about four cultures, in-depth, won't be easy. All of that grammar will also add up and with three Latin-based European languages and Latin itself, you'll easily be confused, therefore making stupid mistakes in tests.
Original post by Joel TJ
Why bother learning four languages, you will probably never be able to be fluent in all four of them. You'll have to learn millions of words to get decent grades. And learning about four cultures, in-depth, won't be easy. All of that grammar will also add up and with three Latin-based European languages and Latin itself, you'll easily be confused, therefore making stupid mistakes in tests.

Uhhh... are you telling me you know more about my test performances than I do? I know them well enough to not be confused and I never make such mistakes in tests. For GCSE you don't need to know anything about culture really, and the syllabuses are really not that hard. French and Spanish grammar is practically identical and it comes easily to me.
Who says you can't be fluent in 4? I'm unfortunately dropping German but I'm taking the rest on for A-Level. Why bother? Because I like them.
Doing German and Latin is not too hard. The structures of the languages are similar so this will help. Ultimately just do which one you prefer.
Original post by Joel TJ

Uhhh... are you telling me you know more about my test performances than I do? I know them well enough to not be confused and I never make such mistakes in tests. For GCSE you don't need to know anything about culture really, and the syllabuses are really not that hard. French and Spanish grammar is practically identical and it comes easily to me.
Who says you can't be fluent in 4? I'm unfortunately dropping German but I'm taking the rest on for A-Level. Why bother? Because I like them.
Doing German and Latin is not too hard. The structures of the languages are similar so this will help. Ultimately just do which one you prefer. :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by mundosinfin
Doing German and Latin is not too hard. The structures of the languages are similar so this will help. Ultimately just do which one you prefer.

You literally just proved my point by saying that you are dropping one, case closed.

Don't quote me again please, I'm learning Spanish grammar.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest