The Student Room Group

Transfer from Cambridge?

I'm a first-year English student hoping to transfer for the second year (late, unfortunately…), but every university I've looked at follows a modular degree structure, and mine doesn't. They all want transcripts and credits from modules to transfer over, and I don't have anything like that I won't even have a classification from an end-of-year exam (we do do one, but it's not graded). Does anyone know any universities that *don't* have a modular structure (for English specifically, but if you're on a different course that doesn't, then it's possible that the English one doesn't either, so please say!) that might be able to let me transfer without them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rattie
I'm a first-year English student hoping to transfer for the second year (late, unfortunately…), but every university I've looked at follows a modular degree structure, and mine doesn't. They all want transcripts and credits from modules to transfer over, and I don't have anything like that I won't even have a classification from an end-of-year exam (we do do one, but it's not graded). Does anyone know any universities that *don't* have a modular structure (for English specifically, but if you're on a different course that doesn't, then it's possible that the English one doesn't either, so please say!) that might be able to let me transfer without them?

Curious. Which uni is this? What have you been studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I study BA English at Cambridge.
Original post by Rattie

Ok I understand now. I think that your should contact the English departments in which you are interested and explain the situation. They should understand your situation, especially if any members of staff went to Cambridge.

Given that you don't have actual marks, your reference from Cambridge will count for a lot. Is your tutor being supportive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I've contacted admissions departments (usually faculty-specific) at quite a few; so far the only ones who have got back to me are the ones that simply don't take transfers.

My worry is that there are two different issues firstly, lack of hard evidence for my achievement, which I suppose might be slightly mitigated by which institution I'm at (although there are plenty of students here coasting along doing the bare minimum or less! and I doubt it would make much of a difference anyway; admissions tutors won't be dazzled by the hype), but secondly, and crucially, it could be that it might simply be impossible to graduate at other universities if I don't have enough credits.

I'm trying to get moving on this as quickly as possible because the equal consideration deadline has passed I was mulling about whether transfers were possible last term but everyone I spoke to was adamant that I should see how this term went, so I eventually admitted they might be right. This term didn't even start until after the UCAS deadline…

I really really don't want to go back into first year, or take a year out, but even if I can get offers my options for unis are going to be really limited :frown: I keep opening Track and looking at the places I turned down to come here.

Edit: I forgot to say I avoided talking to my tutor here because I was worried it would jeopardise the help I'm getting here, and whatever happens I do still want to finish the year! But I've spoken to her now, and while she believes I shouldn't leave, she's said she might be able to contact admissions tutors for me (she's one herself, so knows how to talk to them, I hope :biggrin: )
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rattie
I've contacted admissions departments (usually faculty-specific) at quite a few; so far the only ones who have got back to me are the ones that simply don't take transfers.

My worry is that there are two different issues firstly, lack of hard evidence for my achievement, which I suppose might be slightly mitigated by which institution I'm at (although there are plenty of students here coasting along doing the bare minimum or less! and I doubt it would make much of a difference anyway; admissions tutors won't be dazzled by the hype), but secondly, and crucially, it could be that it might simply be impossible to graduate at other universities if I don't have enough credits.

I'm trying to get moving on this as quickly as possible because the equal consideration deadline has passed I was mulling about whether transfers were possible last term but everyone I spoke to was adamant that I should see how this term went, so I eventually admitted they might be right. This term didn't even start until after the UCAS deadline…

I really really don't want to go back into first year, or take a year out, but even if I can get offers my options for unis are going to be really limited :frown: I keep opening Track and looking at the places I turned down to come here.

Yes, I can see the issue. It seems bizarre that studying at Cambridge for a year counts for precisely nothing when trying to transfer, while doing so at 'the worst university in the country' carries with it 60 measurable credits!

I wonder if @Doonesbury has any thoughts?
Reply 6
Oops, sorry, I misread your post and thought you were saying that they might take a different view on it because of my current university :biggrin: which, yeah, I don't think is likely. Yes, you're right, they probably will know about the fact it's not modular but I don't know if that will help and I think my best chance might be finding a course that's structured similarly. I just never even thought to check these things when I was choosing where to apply! I only realised about the problem a few days ago.
Reply 7
Exactly, I feel like my year here counts for nothing.
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes, I can see the issue. It seems bizarre that studying at Cambridge for a year counts for precisely nothing when trying to transfer, while doing so at 'the worst university in the country' carries with it 60 measurable credits!

I wonder if @Doonesbury has any thoughts?

Original post by Rattie
Exactly, I feel like my year here counts for nothing.

I doubt it counts for "nothing", but yes they don't have ECTS credits.

But you do have a transcript and end of year exams in Year 1 which are graded and classed (First, 2:1, etc). It's just they don't count towards your final BA class - but that's not uncommon at other universities too.
Reply 9
I've been told my prelims won't be classed at all :/

What would be on a transcript just a list of topics I've covered?
Reply 10
Literally nothing I'll have done will have been properly classed AFAICT - for one of my subjects last term, my supervisor gave a prediction (well, sort of; some people describe it as a prediction and some don't), but for the other one they didn't, and I get nothing about classes on my essays.
Reply 11
Do you know whether the ECTS credits are necessary to graduate?
Original post by Rattie

Edit: I forgot to say I avoided talking to my tutor here because I was worried it would jeopardise the help I'm getting here, and whatever happens I do still want to finish the year! But I've spoken to her now, and while she believes I shouldn't leave, she's said she might be able to contact admissions tutors for me (she's one herself, so knows how to talk to them, I hope :biggrin: )

I just saw the edit. Perhaps she could be your unofficial conduit to other uni's English departments?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Rattie
I've been told my prelims won't be classed at all :/

What would be on a transcript just a list of topics I've covered?

Original post by Rattie
Literally nothing I'll have done will have been properly classed AFAICT - for one of my subjects last term, my supervisor gave a prediction (well, sort of; some people describe it as a prediction and some don't), but for the other one they didn't, and I get nothing about classes on my essays.

Ah! Yes English is indeed different - the Part I is only classed at the end of year 2. Sorry my mistake. But you do have Prelims at the end of Year 1 and presumably that is graded even if it isn't "officially" classed.

Also don't you get any marks at all for your essays? Maybe ask your Tutor (or DoS) about your transcript.

Original post by Rattie
Do you know whether the ECTS credits are necessary to graduate?

No.
Reply 14
I just saw the edit. Perhaps she could be your unofficial conduit to other uni's English departments?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What, you mean, sneak in at the back gate? :biggrin: Good point! She really doesn't think I should leave, though… still, she did say she was willing to help.
Reply 15
Original post by Doonesbury
Ah! Yes English is indeed different - the Part I is only classed at the end of year 2. Sorry my mistake. But you do have Prelims at the end of Year 1 and presumably that is graded even if it isn't "officially" classed.

Also don't you get any marks at all for your essays? Maybe ask your Tutor (or DoS) about your transcript.

Wow, that's a relief about the credits not being necessary, thank you.

The prelims are 100% unclassed and ungraded as far as I'm aware? My director of studies told us that they're simply pass/fail and the main reason we have them is for feedback and practice and that it takes the pressure off for us that they're not given a class. I'll ask, once I'm feeling surer about whether this whole thing is going to be viable. No, essays aren't classed, graded, or anything. They're given back with comments.
Original post by Rattie
What, you mean, sneak in at the back gate? :biggrin: Good point! She really doesn't think I should leave, though… still, she did say she was willing to help.

More like a phone call or two on your behalf, pointing out the unusual problems you face. She could also vouch for your ability. She might have personal contacts at other uni's.

Two questions... Why does she not think you should transfer? What standard are you (unofficially) working at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Rattie
Wow, that's a relief about the credits not being necessary, thank you.

So, a question is... why transfer at all? Aren't you enjoying the course, and/or the university? (You don't have to answer that obviously... :smile: )

PS. I'm moving this to the University of Cambridge forum. And retitling it to make it clearer :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
More like a phone call or two on your behalf, pointing out the unusual problems you face. She could also vouch for your ability. She might have personal contacts at other uni's.

Two questions... Why does she not think you should transfer? What standard are you (unofficially) working at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I guess it's far better if she's talking to someone she knows and can properly convey the situation, rather than it just being me they don't know if I'm ********ting!

Unofficially… one of my supervisors, who did give me a class prediction, said 2:1 at the end of last term, but I'd been quite unwell and handed in several sub-par essays, some of which were just plans. My tutor has said I'm excelling and was their top-listed candidate of those who applied (although I'm at a college which gets few applications and takes lots of people from the pool, and also the admissions process is irrelevant once you're here!), but not much more than that. I think the general idea is that I have potential, but am not meeting it because of these health problems, and the pressure here is making those worse.
Reply 19
Original post by Doonesbury
So, a question is... why transfer at all? Aren't you enjoying the course, and/or the university?

PS. I'm moving this to the University of Cambridge forum. And retitling it to make it clearer :wink:

Argh, that place is full of people who go/want to go to Cambridge! But thanks…

I love the course in lots of ways. Love the lectures, get 1:1 supervisions, which are amazing, such a privilege, they're really fun and I feel I learn so much from them… it's just the workload is making me ill and I'm falling way behind; I don't think it's right for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending