The Student Room Group

Animal testing debate, for or against?

I am against animal testing, but I would love to hear people's different points of views on the subject.

Scroll to see replies

Against. They don't have a say in any of the decision making process.
Reply 2
Against. Testing on humans isn't less justified.
Reply 3
Against. stuff for humans should be tested on humans.
I would be very surprised if anyone on here actually said they were for animal testing - there's absolutely no good reason to support animal cruelty.
Reply 5
Original post by stardusty
I would be very surprised if anyone on here actually said they were for animal testing - there's absolutely no good reason to support animal cruelty.

How about for medical purposes? I mean I’m generally against myself but I’m curious
Reply 6

Quite a few universities do animal testing so there's a chance that there is somebody for animal testing.
Original post by m-k1
How about for medical purposes? I mean I’m generally against myself but I’m curious

Products can be tested through other means that don't involve harming animals. I just think if anyone says they're for it then there is something seriously wrong with their moral values, and I would question whether they are a good person. Animal testing is outdated anyway, in 2013 the EU brought in a law that made it illegal to sell animal-tested cosmetics in Europe. If the government can see it's wrong, then I think everyone else can too.

Here's an article that explains where we are with animal testing in the UK:
https://www.peta.org.uk/issues/animals-not-experiment-on/cosmetics/
Reply 8
Products can be tested through other means that don't involve harming animals. I just think if anyone says they're for it then there is something seriously wrong with their moral values, and I would question whether they are a good person. Animal testing is outdated anyway, in 2013 the EU brought in a law that made it illegal to sell animal-tested cosmetics in Europe. If the government can see it's wrong, then I think everyone else can too.

Here's an article that explains where we are with animal testing in the UK:
https://www.peta.org.uk/issues/animals-not-experiment-on/cosmetics/

If that was true then why do I see cosmetic brands that use animal testing (such as Maybelline, L'Oreal and Estee Lauder), being sold in supermarkets and shops.
Original post by Browniee_00
If that was true then why do I see cosmetic brands that use animal testing (such as Maybelline, L'Oreal and Estee Lauder), being sold in supermarkets and shops.

I'm not an expert in it but my best guess would be the products they sell in Europe aren't allowed to be tested, or they get around the law somehow.
Against. Don't animals generally react differently to medications than humans?
Against, test these cosmetic products(Which I find them quite **** anyway) on humans
Against, unless there was no other option than animal testing and it was something important like medicine.
Original post by cat_mac
Against, unless there was no other option than animal testing and it was something important like medicine.

How there is no other option for medicine designed for humans?
Original post by Kathy89
How there is no other option for medicine designed for humans?

It was just an example, I have no clue if there are alternatives for animal testing in certain fields, I just meant that there are some circumstances that it might be necessary. Animal testing should be a last resort rather than a first call imo.
Reply 16
Necessary evil i'm afraid. Unless you lot would rather see vulnerable people doped to the eyeballs and killed?
Original post by Napp
Necessary evil i'm afraid. Unless you lot would rather see vulnerable people doped to the eyeballs and killed?
There are a lot of them actually.
Reply 18
Original post by Kathy89

As many as would be if animal testing wasnt used?
Equally since when are vivisections legally done or people infected with various deadly diseases?
Original post by Kathy89

What are they?

Quick Reply