The Student Room Group

Magic circle - liverpool

Hey,
I am currently deciding out of uni of Liverpool and uni of Manchester to study law. I really want to get into a magic circle law firm, or a silver law firm.
How likely is it that I will get into one via studying law at Liverpool? My predicted a levels are AAB.
Thanks
Your chances are lower if you're studying at a university in the North as opposed to a London university, but if you specifically want to get into a Magic Circle firm then Manchester is your best bet. Statistically Manchester is a better bet for a lot of things - that's not to say Liverpool isn't a fantastic university and you could of course do the same thing from Liverpool, but, well, the data skews Manchester.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
Your chances are lower if you're studying at a university in the North as opposed to a London university, but if you specifically want to get into a Magic Circle firm then Manchester is your best bet. Statistically Manchester is a better bet for a lot of things - that's not to say Liverpool isn't a fantastic university and you could of course do the same thing from Liverpool, but, well, the data skews Manchester.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

North to South. It is because fewer people apply. A student from Warwick applies, do you think they have an advantage over a student at Durham who applies?

Manchester has a much larger student body, which is the principal reason for their success in Chambers.
(edited 6 years ago)
I met a trainee from a MC firm who was a Liverpool graduate last week. The university you go to is not a deciding factor at all.
Original post by Insecable
I met a trainee from a MC firm who was a Liverpool graduate last week. The university you go to is not a deciding factor at all.

This simply isn't true. It'd be nice if it was, but data (and logic) very much suggests it isn't. Of course a Liverpool grad can get into a Magic Circle firm, but in the report I linked even someone from UCLan got into an MC firm, just because someone achieved something doesn't mean they didn't do it from a disadvantaged position.

If you want to give yourself the highest chance of an MC firm, then university choice absolutely matters.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
North to South. It is because fewer people apply. A student from Warwick applies, do you think they have an advantage over a student at Durham who applies?

Manchester has a much larger student body, which is the principal reason for their success in Chambers.

That's a fair point, but I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. Fewer apply from the north I'm sure, but I'm sure that it's much easier to build that kind of connection whilst at a London university since firms are obviously going to want to put out feelers in prestigious local universities.
That's a fair point, but I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. Fewer apply from the north I'm sure, but I'm sure that it's much easier to build that kind of connection whilst at a London university since firms are obviously going to want to put out feelers in prestigious local universities.

I think people overestimate the value of connections when it comes to law firms.

So first off, if you're at Liverpool, you can attend one or two open days and you can attend a VS interview and so on. These are done in batches and do not require an endless commitment to London. What you cannot do so easily is travel to 30 Open Days and the likes, but this is not the goal anyway.

The aim is not "to be known"; it is "when someone reads by app, they will be impressed and think I am the right fit". Having Linda in HR know you means very little as she is always going to favour a better-suited applicant over you. If the Liverpool grad is "doing it properly", that is applying sensibly and taking a lot away from law firm interactions, rather than simply attending every single law firm event they can, they will have no need to be commuting constantly to London.
Thanks everyone for you comments; it has really helped it me ! X
This simply isn't true. It'd be nice if it was, but data (and logic) very much suggests it isn't. Of course a Liverpool grad can get into a Magic Circle firm, but in the report I linked even someone from UCLan got into an MC firm, just because someone achieved something doesn't mean they didn't do it from a disadvantaged position.

If you want to give yourself the highest chance of an MC firm, then university choice absolutely matters.

I agree that there are advantages to going to a higher ranked university, I merely stated that the university one goes to is not a DECIDING factor. They will look at all aspects of your application and there is obviously bound to be a strong correlation between going to a good university and getting accepted to a MC firm. As others on this forum have stated, this is mainly due to the availability of opportunities at top universities and possibly the work ethic of most students (as opposed to the name of the university).

However, if (for whatever reason), someone with a high level of academic ability or potential has to go to UCLan, I don't think that the name of the university itself would be the true barrier to success.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply