The Student Room Group

Subject dilemma, what to do?

recently, I decided I wanted to drop one of my 4 alevel subjects - sociology. My reasons were: I didn't particularly like the content; I had taken 4 a levels with the intention of dropping one and I REALLY disliked the teacher. My issue is i'm good at it, I got 4 As in my mocks, sociology included. I feel like i COULD manage four subjects - especially one like sociology. Is it worth putting up with it - will 4 a levels really give me an edge? Or should i just leave it and focus on getting 3 really good grades?
Reply 1
4 is pointless unless you’re doing medicine but you’ve wasted most of the year if you’re going to drop it now so I would just keep it on as it’s a soft subject anyway.
If you hate it, drop it. Get rid of it. From someone who did four last year and hated one, I wish I'd got rid of my fourth earlier. People kept trying to tell me that I needed four to get a place at Oxford, and they were wrong. There's not much reason to do four and no sense in making yourself miserable. It won't give you much of an edge.
Reply 3
Original post by StevetheIcecube
If you hate it, drop it. Get rid of it. From someone who did four last year and hated one, I wish I'd got rid of my fourth earlier. People kept trying to tell me that I needed four to get a place at Oxford, and they were wrong. There's not much reason to do four and no sense in making yourself miserable. It won't give you much of an edge.

thanks, i reckon i will drop it. my head of sixth was the one saying it could give me an edge if i completed even just the 1st year with 4 a levels (which i don't understand since we don't do AS anymore - so what extra would it give me?).
Reply 4
Original post by ajayma
4 is pointless unless you’re doing medicine but you’ve wasted most of the year if you’re going to drop it now so I would just keep it on as it’s a soft subject anyway.

im y12 so even if i dont drop it rn, i will at the end of the year, and since we dont do AS id have wasted a whole year as opposed to 1/2 a year if i drop it now. my choices are keep it the full 2 years or drop it now
Original post by gabicgai
thanks, i reckon i will drop it. my head of sixth was the one saying it could give me an edge if i completed even just the 1st year with 4 a levels (which i don't understand since we don't do AS anymore - so what extra would it give me?).

It is possible that whoever collates your subject references/writes your UCAS reference could mention that you did a year of Sociology and got an A, showing dedication/commitment/ability to manage time.
Reply 6
Original post by StevetheIcecube
It is possible that whoever collates your subject references/writes your UCAS reference could mention that you did a year of Sociology and got an A, showing dedication/commitment/ability to manage time.

agh this is why i cant decide! the summer mocks will be harder (more content to revise) so idk whether i could pull off the same 4 good grades again. it would be a risk, my other 3 subjects are demanding. but sociology is so soft!!
How does sociology relate to your future goals (uni, career)? How are you doing in your other subjects? You also have the tactical option of dropping a different 4th subject.
Reply 8
Original post by DrSocSciences
How does sociology relate to your future goals (uni, career)? How are you doing in your other subjects? You also have the tactical option of dropping a different 4th subject.

i havent entirely decided yet but an attractive degree at the moment for me is history & politics. most of my other options are similar to this. my other subjects are history, philosophy & ethics and french. i get As/A*s in all of these. this is why the decision is so difficult - all my grades are at the same level!
Original post by gabicgai
i havent entirely decided yet but an attractive degree at the moment for me is history & politics. most of my other options are similar to this. my other subjects are history, philosophy & ethics and french. i get As/A*s in all of these. this is why the decision is so difficult - all my grades are at the same level!

It's a good dilemma to have! I know that the volume of information involved in History is massive. I don't know. It's difficult to argue with the fact that A*AA would get you anywhere, whilst A*ABB wouldn't.
Reply 10
It's a good dilemma to have! I know that the volume of information involved in History is massive. I don't know. It's difficult to argue with the fact that A*AA would get you anywhere, whilst A*ABB wouldn't.

it is - and the same is true about philosophy & ethics (it consists of three components itself: ethics, philosophy and theology). your last sentence there has just about convinced me to drop it, as ive thought about the fact id rather get 3 good grades that 4 average grades.

This. In general people are measured on their best 3 grades (some exceptions to this but pretty rare). You need to maximise your chances of attaining 3 high grades.
Reply 12
Original post by ajj2000
This. In general people are measured on their best 3 grades (some exceptions to this but pretty rare). You need to maximise your chances of attaining 3 high grades.

thanks - i think this is definitely what im going to do.

Quick Reply

Latest