The Student Room Group

will i be able to get the grades?

so, i only just started revising for my GCSEs, and i am so confused- i don't know how much to do a day, how many subjects to do a day, whether i'm doing enough, etc.
i'm really scared that i won't be able to get the grades i am predicted.
do you think i'll be able to get 8s even though i just started revision?
also, how much do i need to do a day to get those grades?

thank you so much for any replies, it is very muh appreciated x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lanababe78
so, i only just started revising for my GCSEs, and i am so confused- i don't know how much to do a day, how many subjects to do a day, whether i'm doing enough, etc.

I didn’t start revising until mid-late February for my GCSEs (in y13 now) and got 8 A*s, i could’ve probably started later and wouldve got the same (just had a bad day on one of my bio exams cost my my 9th by 1 mark) so chill youll get it. I did about 2-4 hours on week nights btw (upper end as it got closer to exams) and about 5-7 each weekend day
Reply 2
Original post by Somebody1234
I didn’t start revising until mid-late February for my GCSEs (in y13 now) and got 8 A*s, i could’ve probably started later and wouldve got the same (just had a bad day on one of my bio exams cost my my 9th by 1 mark) so chill youll get it. I did about 2-4 hours on week nights btw (upper end as it got closer to exams) and about 5-7 each weekend day

thank you so much for taking the time out to reply!
your results are really amazing! i can only pray for anything close to that. if you don't mind me asking, what kind of things were you doing when you began revision in february? were you making notes, or doing practice papers? the thing is, i've only started making notes, and i feel as though i'm really behind :s-smilie: x
thank you so much for taking the time out to reply!
your results are really amazing! i can only pray for anything close to that. if you don't mind me asking, what kind of things were you doing when you began revision in february? were you making notes, or doing practice papers? the thing is, i've only started making notes, and i feel as though i'm really behind :s-smilie: x

I have this idea that as long as ive done all the homework and ‘understood everything’ throughout the year, i didnt do any revision until that February unless there was something i was stuck on so at this point as long as there is nothing you are particularly struggling with, you are in a good position. I began by making notes for all my subjects then did past papers, id write the notes, get my parents to test me, then didnt look at them until night before the exam; the papers will reinforce the information. Obviously for maths dont do notes practice is key memory won’t get you far, do textbook questions then past papers, but spend A LOT more time on the past papers than the textbook questions. My last bit of advice is PLAN, ive always made very detailed revision plans which have insured that all my notes are completed on schedule and ive done enough past papers. Another thing is don’t be put off by people saying you don’t need to revise for GCSEs, revision gets you A*s (or in your case 8s and 9s) and no revision gets you lower, plus i havent even changed my work load THAT much when progressing to a levels but am on target to get 4 A*s, get into good habits early and you’ll be easily prepared for 6th form...and sorry i rant a lot...
Reply 4

wow 8A*, that's literally my dream, how did you do it? so 2-4 hours on a weekday- i get that, but how did you manage to stay on track on weekends? its Saturday today and i planned to revise "all day" instead i did about 2 hours of good revision, 1 hour of pointless revision and the rest of the day watching Netflix. how can i break from this treacherous habit???
me^
Original post by mdana
wow 8A*, that's literally my dream, how did you do it? so 2-4 hours on a weekday- i get that, but how did you manage to stay on track on weekends? its Saturday today and i planned to revise "all day" instead i did about 2 hours of good revision, 1 hour of pointless revision and the rest of the day watching Netflix. how can i break from this treacherous habit???

Yeah I had bad days as well like this and ended up falling behind on my plan, but i caught up and tbh best thing to do is do like 2 hours at a time (ik all those advisors say 20 mins but thats ********), morning revision is definitely the best and in my opinion try to mix notes and past papers on a weekend coz doing all of one thing for hours can be tiresome, finally leave your phone downstairs ik parents always say it and its annoying af but...it works!
Reply 7
I have this idea that as long as ive done all the homework and ‘understood everything’ throughout the year, i didnt do any revision until that February unless there was something i was stuck on so at this point as long as there is nothing you are particularly struggling with, you are in a good position. I began by making notes for all my subjects then did past papers, id write the notes, get my parents to test me, then didnt look at them until night before the exam; the papers will reinforce the information. Obviously for maths dont do notes practice is key memory won’t get you far, do textbook questions then past papers, but spend A LOT more time on the past papers than the textbook questions. My last bit of advice is PLAN, ive always made very detailed revision plans which have insured that all my notes are completed on schedule and ive done enough past papers. Another thing is don’t be put off by people saying you don’t need to revise for GCSEs, revision gets you A*s (or in your case 8s and 9s) and no revision gets you lower, plus i havent even changed my work load THAT much when progressing to a levels but am on target to get 4 A*s, get into good habits early and you’ll be easily prepared for 6th form...and sorry i rant a lot...

don't apologise for the ranting- your ranting has helped me out SO much, honestly. thank you so, so much for taking the time out to reply; it honestly means so much.
i will most definitely be putting your advice into practice- thank you so much, once again x
don't apologise for the ranting- your ranting has helped me out SO much, honestly. thank you so, so much for taking the time out to reply; it honestly means so much.
i will most definitely be putting your advice into practice- thank you so much, once again x

No worries, good luck with your exams
Well I’m in the same boat, I got 56677778 in my mocks this year without revision. The 5 was in french (I’m no linguist) and my English grade was actually a 7 (instead of the listed 6) but the school made their own mark scheme and reduced me. -_- Anyway, those grades are decent but they’re not quite enough for me so it’s time to put in the work.

What I’ve found helpful is just read those CGP books. A topic or half a topic every day starting now, it takes so little time but it’s a good refresher. I’ve also downloaded apps with quizzes and can use resources like Temple GCSE and kerboodle for science and languages. If factual knowledge is what you need to go over, that will help.

If you need help on exam technique it gets harder. Not more difficult, but more work and effort! Answer questions from textbooks and revision guides and get teachers to mark them and give you pointers. You’ll also do well doing past papers (from school or online) and finding the mark schemes and studying them - you’ll work out what they want for each question and how to check each box for every mark.

I’ve found an app called GCSE 9-1, and it only has half the exams now but it gives you a hardcore revision timetable for the month before exams. It looks brilliant and you can adapt it how you’d like but it gives you ideal topics and durations to revise for.

Good luck and keep me updated! How did your mocks go?
No worries, good luck with your exams

thank you so much- you too x
Reply 11
Yeah I had bad days as well like this and ended up falling behind on my plan, but i caught up and tbh best thing to do is do like 2 hours at a time (ik all those advisors say 20 mins but thats ********), morning revision is definitely the best and in my opinion try to mix notes and past papers on a weekend coz doing all of one thing for hours can be tiresome, finally leave your phone downstairs ik parents always say it and its annoying af but...it works!

ive been meaning to make a plan also, like a timetable and out of the
hundreds ive made so far none have worked. what had your timetable included that ensured you stayed on track?
Original post by mdana
ive been meaning to make a plan also, like a timetable and out of the
hundreds ive made so far none have worked. what had your timetable included that ensured you stayed on track?

Ha well just like my GCSE one my A level one is bluetacked across my wall behind my desk atm and it stares down at me forcing me to do it ahahaha. Nah i don’t think that helps but really dont be unreasonable with your plan, like do something you will actually do coz if u dont stick to it theres no point having one
Reply 13
true, though i feel as if im running out if time and so i put like all of my subjects in a day in my timetable, and in the end im just too overwhelmed and quit all together.
Reply 14

hi, i feel exactly the same way. how much do you revise at the moment?
personally i revise 3 hours everyday and feel its not at all enogh, i have to find some form of motivation and stop procrastinating.btw i too am predicted 8s and feel super scared about letting everyone down...
Original post by mdana
hi, i feel exactly the same way. how much do you revise at the moment?
personally i revise 3 hours everyday and feel its not at all enogh, i have to find some form of motivation and stop procrastinating.btw i too am predicted 8s and feel super scared about letting everyone down...

hey! i'm glad i'm not alone, aha.
honestly, i barely do an hour's worth of revision a day- i can never seem to concentrate, and i just don't seem to have the motivation. i'm basically just stressing about not revising.
i'm realy scared of letting everyone down, too- so many people have high hopes for me.
nonetheless, i think you're in a good place at the moment- 3 years is a lot of time for revsion; much more than one!
good luck, though, i wish you all the best for your exams xx
Original post by mdana
true, though i feel as if im running out if time and so i put like all of my subjects in a day in my timetable, and in the end im just too overwhelmed and quit all together.

same! the thought of everything there is to do is SO overwhelming- i'm genuinely terrified.
For GCSE I'd say now is the perfect time to start revision, definitely not too late. When I did mine I did about 2 hours on a school night and 4 hours on a weekend or holiday day (but I do double that for a level and tbh my GCSE revision was terrible and I got by on natural ability).
I'd recommend about 2.5 hours on school nights and 6 on weekends and holidays.
I personally believe that the key is planning and using your revision time effectively (as opposed to doing 4 hours with the tv on, do 3 with the radio on and you'll get much more done and then have an hour free).
I've always particularly struggled to be productive on weekends. I combat that by planning and setting 'work hours'. I pretend it's like an actual job and I have to be in the office working from 9-1 then from 2-5 and then I can have a whole evening of guilt free leisure time.
I'd also make a timetable that repeats every two weeks, add up the total hours you'll do in two weeks and decide how to split it per subject. It's important to do a mixture of notes/flash cards and past papers. Some more content heavy subjects like biology or history will need a greater amount of notes/flash card revision while more concept based subjects like maths, physics and English will need a greater amount of past paper revision.
For essay subjects like English and history do a past paper and ask your teacher to mark it and give you detailed feedback. Then use the feedback to see if you can do another one better. Ask for feedback again. You're not going to annoy a teacher by working hard!
Mix up your techniques, it's easy to keep doing the same thing without realising it's not working.
Most of this advice is based upon my a level revision because, as I said, my GCSE revision was pants.
Anyone good in english literature here?
Reply 19
hey! i'm glad i'm not alone, aha.
honestly, i barely do an hour's worth of revision a day- i can never seem to concentrate, and i just don't seem to have the motivation. i'm basically just stressing about not revising.
i'm realy scared of letting everyone down, too- so many people have high hopes for me.
nonetheless, i think you're in a good place at the moment- 3 years is a lot of time for revsion; much more than one!
good luck, though, i wish you all the best for your exams xx

thank you so much, i wish you all the best also, and i literally nodded my head as i read each sentence( basically i feel the exact same way) but what do you mean by 3 years is a lot of time for revision? im in year 11, i have 4-5 months till gcses and 1 month till mocks. are you in year9?

Quick Reply

Latest