The Student Room Group

How can I improve my grades?

I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology and have got DCB respectively. These grades are only based on tests we have done in class but I can't help but think I'm failing. Do you think it would be possible to achieve my target grades (AAA)? Any advice on how to revise would be appreciated.
Original post by Mochi11861
I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology and have got DCB respectively. These grades are only based on tests we have done in class but I can't help but think I'm failing. Do you think it would be possible to achieve my target grades (AAA)? Any advice on how to revise would be appreciated.

Yes, but easier if you are in year 12.

Always.
1. Master core material and make good notes- make revision notes from.
2. Practice exams- mark with mark schemes, id where you lose marks and practice again.
I do those three subjects (I’m year 13) and chemistry is my most difficult too. I managed to pull my grade from a C in class to an A in the June exam (internal exams end of year 12) by doing weeks and weeks of past papers. Doesn’t matter what boards they’re from, because at the end of the day chemistry is chemistry. Just do question after question. Also memorising definitions can be helpful in picking up extra marks here and there. The only other thing I would say is pinpoint your weakest topics and revise them so much they become your best, mostly through past papers too.

Good luck with your revision and final exams!😊
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Yes, but easier if you are in year 12.

Always.
1. Master core material and make good notes- make revision notes from.
2. Practice exams- mark with mark schemes, id where you lose marks and practice again.

Thank you for the reply!! I am in year 12 so it’s reassuring to hear that I still have a chance. My issue is that it takes me far too long to make revision notes and I still don’t understand some of the content. I don’t really know where to start.
As for practice questions, I can’t seem to find any good resources?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by JessAntonia:)
I do those three subjects (I’m year 13) and chemistry is my most difficult too. I managed to pull my grade from a C in class to an A in the June exam (internal exams end of year 12) by doing weeks and weeks of past papers. Doesn’t matter what boards they’re from, because at the end of the day chemistry is chemistry. Just do question after question. Also memorising definitions can be helpful in picking up extra marks here and there. The only other thing I would say is pinpoint your weakest topics and revise them so much they become your best, mostly through past papers too.

Good luck with your revision and final exams!😊

thank you for the advice. Chemistry is really difficult for me since our teacher was fired and everything is pretty much a mess. Topics like Organic and Energetics really put me off.
Do you think I should make revision notes first? Or should I just go straight to exam questions?
Chemistry goes into a lot of detail that I can’t seem to remember and the answers tend to change based on application questions
Also, how is biology at a level?
(edited 6 years ago)
thank you for the advice. Chemistry is really difficult for me since our teacher was fired and everything is pretty much a mess. Topics like Organic and Energetics really put me off.
Do you think I should make revision notes first? Or should I just go straight to exam questions?
Chemistry goes into a lot of detail that I can’t seem to remember and the answers tend to change based on application questions
Also, how is biology at a level?

Well, I used Flashcards last year in chemistry but I tended to put too much on one Flashcard so they weren’t overly helpful for me, but I seem to remember things when I’ve got them wrong on a question before so that’s what I’m going to focus more on for the exams this year. But it’s completely up to you, maybe try both and see which you prefer? I have a friend who loves spider diagrams then going through things verbally with me occasionally (which I also find helpful too) but that only works if you have someone who is happy to do that with you.
Organic and energetics are hard topics to be fair, I struggle with them too and the harder topics I have to spend more time on revision wise so I try and make sure I’m going over them as frequently as I can.
Personally, I love biology a level, I found that both AS and A2 have really interesting topics (I’m guessing you’ve done half the first year already?) and because I want to go to uni to study medicine I love learning about the body. There are definitely some complex theories and mechanisms in both years to get your head round, but once you’ve got it, you’ve got it. That’s something I quite like about biology, even the most complex thing once you’ve got your head round it it gets much easier to revise.
Hope this is helpful!
Reply 6
Original post by JessAntonia:)
Well, I used Flashcards last year in chemistry but I tended to put too much on one Flashcard so they weren’t overly helpful for me, but I seem to remember things when I’ve got them wrong on a question before so that’s what I’m going to focus more on for the exams this year. But it’s completely up to you, maybe try both and see which you prefer? I have a friend who loves spider diagrams then going through things verbally with me occasionally (which I also find helpful too) but that only works if you have someone who is happy to do that with you.
Organic and energetics are hard topics to be fair, I struggle with them too and the harder topics I have to spend more time on revision wise so I try and make sure I’m going over them as frequently as I can.
Personally, I love biology a level, I found that both AS and A2 have really interesting topics (I’m guessing you’ve done half the first year already?) and because I want to go to uni to study medicine I love learning about the body. There are definitely some complex theories and mechanisms in both years to get your head round, but once you’ve got it, you’ve got it. That’s something I quite like about biology, even the most complex thing once you’ve got your head round it it gets much easier to revise.
Hope this is helpful!

I want to study medicine too, but I lose more and more confidence as the days go by. I don’t think I’m good enough. Have you applied for uni yet??
Reply 7
anyone else who can help???
I want to study medicine too, but I lose more and more confidence as the days go by. I don’t think I’m good enough. Have you applied for uni yet??

Well there are other ways to medicine than just the straight up school leavers on a typical course. You could resit a levels if they don’t go to plan and reapply, you could do a different degree then do a post grad medicine course etc. Plus sometimes it’s not the people with the highest grades that make the best doctors in the end - it’s the people with the most passion and determination.
But, don’t forget you have a long time until your final exams and lots can change in that amount of time, the more you look over theories the easier they get. You might find you get better the more you do! Don’t give up hope yet, there’s so much you can change and improve if you feel like it’s not working out right now. You have lots of time too!
I have applied and so far I have one offer and I’m wiring on two other unis for replies😊

Quick Reply

Latest