The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

what do you mean how society feels about it

Original post by kaonashi97
Hi. I’m 20 and absolutely hate alcohol, not just the taste, not just how it effects people. But also how society feels about it. If there’s anyone else who feels like this, I’d love to talk. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t drink or feel like I do and I’m starting to feel isolated.
I once had a sip of some alcohol and I am never drinking it again. Also, I don't like coffee and hardly have any tea. I am very fussy when it comes to food and drink.
Reply 3
Original post by Bang Outta Order
what do you mean how society feels about it

What I mean is how normal it is for people to drink. How it’s become a part of life. How people assume everyone drinks, everywhere I go I’m offered alcohol and more people are suprised when I turn it away. I’ve seen alcohol given to miners without any kind of thought about it.
Hi. I’m 20 and absolutely hate alcohol, not just the taste, not just how it effects people. But also how society feels about it. If there’s anyone else who feels like this, I’d love to talk. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t drink or feel like I do and I’m starting to feel isolated.

I am also aged 20, I have never had a alcoholic drink in my life and don't plan too. I don't see the point in drinking something which can detrimental to your health. Also (feel free to call me mad) I have never had any fizzy drinks either.
Reply 5
Original post by monkeyman0121
I once had a sip of some alcohol and I am never drinking it again. Also, I don't like coffee and hardly have any tea. I am very fussy when it comes to food and drink.

I’m the same
Reply 6
Original post by Andrew97
I am also aged 20, I have never had a alcoholic drink in my life and don't plan too. I don't see the point in drinking something which can detrimental to your health. Also (feel free to call me mad) I have never had any fizzy drinks either.

I have diet cola most days, it’s my favourite drink.
So, show of hands... who else is reading this while drinking a beer? 😅
I have diet cola most days, it’s my favourite drink.

Fair enough, I have a heart problem (I won’t go into too much detail) so I don’t want to drink anything that may make it worse, so I am very careful in what I drink.
Reply 9
It's ok, I'll drink yours.
Reply 10
None alcoholics unite! :lol:
Have zero interest in alcohol myself but a lot of society and social interaction is based around alcohol to an extent which is a shame. People usually call you boring if you say you don't drink. I can't wait till im 60 and no one else is drinking. I'll be normal :moon:
Reply 11
Original post by 8472
Have zero interest in alcohol myself but a lot of society and social interaction is based around alcohol to an extent which is a shame. People usually call you boring if you say you don't drink. I can't wait till im 60 and no one else is drinking. I'll be normal :moon:

Hi,
I wish I could feel normal.
All my friends have gone out tonight to celebrate a birthday and I’ve had to stay home because they all know I don’t drink. I just want to have people to talk to when this happens.
It's ok you can all just get drunk on your own self-indulgence instead.

As soon as you start to talk about "society" you know it's a neckbeardy thread.
Reply 13
Original post by 8472

I drink with 60+ years olds every week :laugh:

I dont drink either. :smile:. Theres a clear reason as to why it is banned in certain religions sorry to bring religion into this, but i take that perspective when considering Alcohol.
Reply 15
Original post by Trinculo
It's ok you can all just get drunk on your own self-indulgence instead.

As soon as you start to talk about "society" you know it's a neckbeardy thread.

What do you mean “neckbeardy”?
Original post by monkeyman0121

same lol
What do you mean “neckbeardy”?

The idea that you're some special gentleman (or lady) who is railing against a society full of sheep. Somehow there is some mythical group of everyone else that makes up rules that you don't conform to....
Reply 18
Original post by Trinculo
The idea that you're some special gentleman (or lady) who is railing against a society full of sheep. Somehow there is some mythical group of everyone else that makes up rules that you don't conform to....

I don’t think anyone is a sheep!! I just know that I have very different opinions on the matter of alcohol and I wish I didn’t because it makes me feel very isolated and like I’m wierd.
Often I wish society had the same opinion as me, but doesn’t everyone at some point. I just want to feel normal.
Reply 19
Hi,
I wish I could feel normal.
All my friends have gone out tonight to celebrate a birthday and I’ve had to stay home because they all know I don’t drink. I just want to have people to talk to when this happens.

We don't need alcohol, we have Dijkstra and his algorithms to keep up company! :dumbells:

Latest

Trending

Trending