The Student Room Group

Why do you dislike immigration?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AperfectBalance
This is a list of reasons why I hate immigration overall, many immigrants do not tick any/all of these boxes but this is some reasons why I dislike Immigration

-Lack of integration, bring your culture but also respect ours

-Forming intolerant communities that they shape to be like their home country, it just continues to blob out and often ruins an area (bradford)

-Economical Issues

-Those that steal benefits (I dont like Natives that do it but coming to another country and stealing is worse)

-Refusal to speak or to learn to speak the native language

-bringing parts of culture that are unwelcome over here or forcing others to accept barbaric cultures

The points you make are fair, but this is not an endemic problem. This is a tiny minority of people.

Official statistics suggest that immigrants are net contributors to the UK. They support many jobs that we, British people, would not do.

I think you and other people on this thread probably like to go extreme to defend your anti-immigration rhetoric.
Original post by Liisaanna1
it'd be difficult to understand the viewpoint if u dont approach this open mindedly, but yes, being against immigration is kind of natural in a sense. It would only take a rational approach to see that immigrants do bring only a few benefits to the country they are coming into. //meme coming// who are we? immigrants! what do we want? free healthcare, money, homes, good treatment by the society! do we contribute to the society we are immigrating into daily by working, learning the language, actually integrating, causing no more harm than a regular citizen of that country? uh no? welp, if you want to argue against these claims then I sincerely see you as an uneducated person - open some truthful news sources,
subreddits or this-problem-discussing megathreads. If you unmindlessly want to argue against facts and reality then I got some news for u - living in a cave ain't doing anybody good. step out. watch the reality around you. stop ignoring common sense

Come on! Do you honestly believe the stuff you wrote. That’s not fair.
This is a list of reasons why I hate immigration overall, many immigrants do not tick any/all of these boxes but this is some reasons why I dislike Immigration

-Forming intolerant communities that they shape to be like their home country, it just continues to blob out and often ruins an area (bradford)

-Economical Issues

-Those that steal benefits (I dont like Natives that do it but coming to another country and stealing is worse)

-bringing parts of culture that are unwelcome over here or forcing others to accept barbaric cultures

How is your culture not respected? What parts of other cultures are unwelcome?

It’s hardly ‘forming intolerant communities’ if that’s all they can afford.
Original post by Wired_1800
The points you make are fair, but this is not an endemic problem. This is a tiny minority of people.

Official statistics suggest that immigrants are net contributors to the UK. They support many jobs that we, British people, would not do.

I think you and other people on this thread probably like to go extreme to defend your anti-immigration rhetoric.

As I said this is not all immigrants. nor were all of my points just based on the economy many are about culture.

The whole jobs that British people would do thing is an utter lie, we functioned fine before mass immigration and plenty of people are willing to do those jobs for money. Immigrants may be monetary contributiors yet if we had tighter controls we could ensure that immigrants are an even bigger contrbutor and that the British culture and sensibility is preserved

-Economical Issues

what do you mean when you say they dont respect your culture?

can you give examples of when they dont integrate?

also do you acknowledge those who try to learn english or are not 100% fluent but do try, or do you hate those aswell because they might have an accent?
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
What kind of immigration criteria would you like to see?

Wealthy people?
Skilled workers?
People from certain countries?
People with certain education standards?
A certain amount of people per year?
People escaping persecution?

Wealthy people: if they contribute the the overall economy in a positive way yes.
Skilled workers: yes
People from a certain country: No, we shouldn’t favour people just because they are from say Spain rather than China. (Random example)
Certain education standards: tough too say, education standards across the world are too different for there to be one set policy on this I think.
A certain number of people: potentially, but I don’t think it’s enforceable.
People escaping persecution: as long as they go through the correct application procedures then yes.
Reply 26
Original post by hsalika
Dont be stupid

Is that what you say to yourself all the time?
Reply 27
As I said this is not all immigrants. nor were all of my points just based on the economy many are about culture.

The whole jobs that British people would do thing is an utter lie, we functioned fine before mass immigration and plenty of people are willing to do those jobs for money. Immigrants may be monetary contributiors yet if we had tighter controls we could ensure that immigrants are an even bigger contrbutor and that the British culture and sensibility is preserved

Britain would have also collapsed utterly without mass migration. You can't have it both ways lad.

And what is culture but an ever changing amorphous concept any way? If it didnt change we would still be sacrificing children to the god of rain or some such.
Reply 28
Original post by faloodeh
their inability to speak english has affected my kids.
they come home saying things like "wallahi" and "wagwan"

You should be pleased your kids are learning another language for free.
Original post by cherryred90s
How is your culture not respected? What parts of other cultures are unwelcome?

It’s hardly ‘forming intolerant communities’ if that’s all they can afford.

It depends, some immigrants refuse to learn our language, some are very rude, some demand that we act like them. (the same can be said for some brits)

Many cultures have opressed women and gays and those parts are not welcome if it becomes anything more than an opinion and their rights. some cultures force children to get
circumcised and sadly that is legal but I think it should be against the law.

some cultures unbury the dead and have a festival with them, that is unhygenic and disasterous.
Anyone who is against immigration is ignorant. Why? Because here in the UK, everybody is an immigrant. We all came from somewhere, and yes some have been here longer than others, but does that really matter? We're all human.

That is not completely true though. Many young British people would not do the smelly, rubbish and demeaning jobs that some international people do.

How do i know this, because I have worked with both groups. I have worked as a cleaning assistant and found no British person there. The only other “native” was the manager, who always went for a cig and lazied about the area. My mate quit her job the very same day that she got it, why? Because she realised she would be a back office staff doing the menial jobs.

If you feel that it is a minority of migrants, then we should not go guns out at all migrants.

We need to be honest to ourselves. We have an ageing population and need migrants, just like how they need us.
In the UK, whether you experience immigration as a positive or negative depends on your social status.

If you are comfortably middle class, immigration is great. The immigrants provide your sevices, work hard, look after your family when they are ill, build your extension, serve you in cafės.

If you are poor, immigrants compete with you and your family for jobs. The competition comes across as unfair because you feel that you deserve a certain standard of living by dint of the accident of your birth in this country. Wage depression means that you and yours do less well.

If you look at the situation in the long term, positives include an improvement in the diversity of your food, language and culture.
Original post by Maker
You should be pleased your kids are learning another language for free.

when in rome do as the romans do :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Cod3tte
Because here in the UK, everybody is an immigrant.

I mean, okay, but this line is fundamentally flawed considering many people are born here so no, not everybody is an immigrant.
Original post by orderofthelotus
I mean, okay, but this line is fundamentally flawed considering many people are born here so no, not everybody is an immigrant.

I think what they mean is because this country is an island,everyone immigrated here,so we are all in a way immigrants.
Original post by orderofthelotus

I'll give you an example. My grandparents came here in the 60s and my other grandparents came here in the 70s. Both my parents were born here in the 70s. That makes them second generation immigrants, my brother and I were born here in the 2000s that makes us 3rd generation immigrants.

Anyone who is against immigration is against their own families.
Original post by Cod3tte
I'll give you an example. My grandparents came here in the 60s and my other grandparents came here in the 70s. Both my parents were born here in the 70s. That makes them second generation immigrants, my brother and I were born here in the 2000s that makes us 3rd generation immigrants.

Anyone who is against immigration is against their own families.

o that's what you meant lol
By the way, you see other countries have strict immigration policies and still maintain their culture and identity because they don't make it piss easy to get into uni. Nor were their people fed large amounts of consumerist propaganda. Well done to successive British governments for completely ruining the people who made Britain. If you're born here and didn't do well in school let alone college or uni then expect to be shafted at every turn. By employers who think you're lazy when in reality you have no choice but to accept jobs with no security and low pay.
Original post by ToothpasteTiger
There taking my jobs and my money Idk y anyone likes them

Not to be rude mate but employers are not stupid they don’t give jobs out to anyone, they check qualifications and personal qualities!
With all due respect maybe you should work for a job try and do better than these ‘immigrants’ that you dislike so much rather than repeating a single dialogue that we hear all over social media on a daily basis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending