The Student Room Group

Caution

Hi, I need some help and advice as I'm not sure about my question.Basically, in 2010 I was stupid and young 23 and I sold tickets to 3 different people online and they made payment by bank transfer to my bank account.(I know completely stupid) , Two out of the three reported my bank account to the Police and they obviously traced me to my home address, the police at the time cautioned me , but I lied and stated I knew nothing about it. They said if I didn't accept the caution at my home they would take me to the station.Anyway, I lied through my teeth to them and said that someone must have accidentally used my bank information and added a wrong number etc, my account was perfect with the bank for 12 years or more and I never had been in trouble before, regardless, for over 3 months the Police held my personal computer but nothing was found on it. Well I assume nothing was found, the officer investigating came to my house and handed a brown paper evidence bag with it inside, never apologised, he was very arrogant , but there was no real closure to the whole situation. Would this caution show up now for future jobs? Or if I got in bother in the future with the police which I wouldn't , would it show if they checked my name? Stupid mistake from nearly 8 years ago.
Original post by Jacksmith33
Hi, I need some help and advice as I'm not sure about my question.Basically, in 2010 I was stupid and young 23 and I sold tickets to 3 different people online and they made payment by bank transfer to my bank account.(I know completely stupid) , Two out of the three reported my bank account to the Police and they obviously traced me to my home address, the police at the time cautioned me , but I lied and stated I knew nothing about it. They said if I didn't accept the caution at my home they would take me to the station.Anyway, I lied through my teeth to them and said that someone must have accidentally used my bank information and added a wrong number etc, my account was perfect with the bank for 12 years or more and I never had been in trouble before, regardless, for over 3 months the Police held my personal computer but nothing was found on it. Well I assume nothing was found, the officer investigating came to my house and handed a brown paper evidence bag with it inside, never apologised, he was very arrogant , but there was no real closure to the whole situation. Would this caution show up now for future jobs? Or if I got in bother in the future with the police which I wouldn't , would it show if they checked my name? Stupid mistake from nearly 8 years ago.

With a caution, it cannot be removed unless you were a juvenile in which it can be removed after 5 years (if i remember correctly, although not sure if this has changed), but I know your situation is different as you were still an adult back then.

Although it is not a criminal conviction, it is formed as part of a criminal record.
It's up to employers what they should do with their decision (in terms of how they recruit) and it does depend on the circumstances of why you have been cautioned too and the nature of the job you're applying for.
It would still show up on the police database in the future as well because if you do commit another offence and you do get caught, the caution will affect the result of whether you should be charged for it.

Quick Reply