The Student Room Group

For those who have worked at McDonalds/KFC/Burger King, do you get free food?

And if so did you get sick of it quickly? I always imagined working in KFC eating as much as I want to be very attractive. Makes me want to quit my proffesional job and seek employment within one of these chains.
Reply 1
Though I still don't work at all I believe yes you do get free food from these chains HOWEVER can't eat their whole stash!
I work at McDonalds.

Only free food on our breaks and we're limited to spending '4 points' where certain menu items are worth 1 or 2 points each. Eg, Quarter pounder (1 point), fries (1 point) and a mocha frappe (2 points) or 5 chicken selects (2 points), apple pie (1 point) and a coke (1 point). Only menu item we're not allowed (from the top of my head) are 20 nug nugs and we are not allowed to have 2 main menu items (eg, a quarter pounder and bigmac or 5 selects and a quarter pounder - but you can have a 99p cheeseburger/chicken mayo/hamburger and a main menu item).

The only food I eat on shift is quality testing fries which is literally 1 slither every now and then. Although I have had a few frappes during my shift because they were made spare!

And yes, im sick of it so I make my own lunch.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BTAnonymous
I work at McDonalds.

Only free food on our breaks and we're limited to spending '4 points' where certain menu items are worth 1 or 2 points each. Eg, Quarter pounder (1 point), fries (1 point) and a mocha frappe (2 points) or 5 chicken selects (2 points), apple pie (1 point) and a coke (1 point). Only menu item we're not allowed (from the top of my head) are 20 nug nugs and we are not allowed to have 2 main menu items (eg, a quarter pounder and bigmac or 5 selects and a quarter pounder - but you can have a 99p cheeseburger/chicken mayo/hamburger and a main menu item).

The only food I eat on shift is quality testing fries which is literally 1 slither every now and then. Although I have had a few frappes during my shift because they were made spare!

And yes, im sick of it so I make my own lunch.
is that 4 points per day?
Original post by Got Milk
is that 4 points per day?

Per shift, although technically if you had to take two breaks (if you had something like a 12 hour shift) then you should be entitled to 8 points all together.
you're supposed to write down your break items onto a book. recently, they stripped us of the 4 point rule because no one was writing their break down.

however, you're not supposed to make your break yourself (stupid rule, not sure why) so you're meant to ask a colleague to get your break for you. So you could just ask a different colleague to get your break.

it's really easy to steal food as well ngl. if i wanted too, I could just walk into the kitchen during my break, make myself 6 nuggets and just walk back to the crew room with no problem.
Trust me, once you see them for for 6 hours each day two days a week you'll only want 6 lol.

Yes, definitely. If I don't bring my own lunch in i'll get a a wrap and fries with some other items which equates to around 6 pound; I get £6.50 an hour so it does help.
Waaat! I mean, we have plenty of left overs every day so feel free to come in and bag a few nuggets or chicken selects!
That's a good breakfast, like really good! We waste so much food and some guy has to count every single nugget at the end of the day.
Original post by BTAnonymous
Per shift, although technically if you had to take two breaks (if you had something like a 12 hour shift) then you should be entitled to 8 points all together.
this seems quite generous
this seems quite generous

it's a decent part time job tbh. extremely flexible, decent wage and you can progress fairly easily if you want.
i cant imagine eating them 20 nuggets all the time. did it once and felt sick
And if so did you get sick of it quickly? I always imagined working in KFC eating as much as I want to be very attractive. Makes me want to quit my proffesional job and seek employment within one of these chains.

My boyfriend works at KFC and every shift I believe (maybe over a certain shift like a split shift) they get a free staff meal, which allows you to buy anything using £6 allowance per shift. Then often he gets to bring home food at the end of his shift, when he works a close, to stop food going to waste which he often shares or gives out to various people (can be quite a lot, although this depends on the manager- I don't know if it's in line with company rules)

I thought he'd be sick of the food by now, but when you're working and hungry on break and there's free food- you wouldn't turn it down

Quick Reply

Latest