The Student Room Group

I fear my sister is mentally ill

So I will try to get to the point with my situation.
i live in a house of 3 people - me, my mum (48) and my sister (27). I am a student and will be going off to live away to study in a uni soon. My mum and my sister though live together and pay for the house together. My mum gives her lifts to work everyday, they have seperate jobs at the same company. Often, she makes her food as she has always done for the family - my sister is obese and my mum tries to help her diet by making food that is healthy.
They often get into arguments over something childish and stupid, often something that mum has said wrong, but had apologised multiple times. My sister is often very infuriated at things and easily irritated and never buys my mum trying to apologise to her, despite my mum literally being the restaurant for her, making her food n driving her to work etc. Today, my sister has been once again slamming doors and telling mum to **** off as per usual when she is angry - she hasn't been sleeping and was loudly slamming everything in the house at 4 am as she goes downstairs to pick up her night snack, clearly still angry. Earlier today I asked her if she could stop slamming everything in the house, and five hours later she charged into my room, leaned towards me, gave me the middle finger, told me she will do it if she wants to, and walked off.
This happens often. It's to the point where my mum has been drinking to get herself to sleep. I would never do this to my mother. Scared to know how she might feel when I move out..
Thing is, my mum cant just kick her out because she wont be able to pay off the house on her own. It's a new house, barely a year old, we just moved in then. They also work together so they can't avoid seeing eachother either. Should I just leave this for them to sort out? I can't handle my sister to be acting like this, I really love mum and think she deserves better... Please any advice
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not sure if this is a mental issue but your sister certainly has some social issues she needs to get help for. Counselling maybe? There could be an underlying cause to her behaviour that you aren't aware of.
Reply 2
Original post by Milky_Way
I'm not sure if this is a mental issue but your sister certainly has some social issues she needs to get help for. Counselling maybe? There could be an underlying cause to her behaviour that you aren't aware of.

She is positive that she doesnt need any help - she would probably flip me off again if I even mentioned her needing any help. I don't know how to approach this, kind of growing a bit scared knowing a person that slams every object from anger could be prone to violence. Mum mentioned before something about my sister having schizophrenia when she was about 15, but I don't know anything about it or if she still has it, if it could be related at all
(edited 6 years ago)
She could be ill, of course, but there are lots of different reasons which may explain her behaviour. What your mum said about her having schizophrenia is interesting, but this doesn't link in with the violence - there is a common myth floating around that schizophrenics are violent when in fact they are more likely to hurt themselves rather than anyone else. Either way, it sounds like she does need help. Whether that's counselling or anger management or something similar, she would benefit from seeing her doctor to talk through her options. Unfortunately she has to make this step herself though and actually want to change her behaviour.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending