The Student Room Group

Does God Exist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unkilled
Because nothing can defy logic. You can't make a square circle. Just not possible, I'm afraid. And if you wanted to have all the powers, then why invent circles and squares in the first place. Also, nothing is beyond our comprehension. If you solve each unknown in every equation, anything can be understood.

Also, why create logic if it disproves God's own existence?

What if I told you that you are god.
What if I said that when you die its not "Nothing-ness"..

What if when you die, you don't. You carry on living in a multi-reality dimension of another reality that you didn't die in, and instead you wake up in the hospital recovering from the horrible car accident that killed off a part of the infinite realities ?

And you soon realise when you 150 years old that you can never die, and reality becomes weird for you that you realise that what ever you existed in your lifetime was your doings.. you are your very own architecture that built the realities you lived in because of all the time you had and you needed to entertain your formless soul.

Well, I'm saying all of this because:
1. I don't believe in any God that humans have spoke of
2. We can never truly experience our own death (We can't see that we have died). So not knowing that we are dead has only one other possibility, knowing that you still exist.
Original post by uberteknik
Source?

Einstein said he believed in a pantheistic interpretation where God is the universe.

In other words, his interpretation is that religion is a "childish superstition", but that science can invoke an almost spiritual emotion when contemplating the splendor of the universe because understanding is " too vast for our human minds".

That is very different from disingenuously stating Einstein believed in God.

If god is the universe, he also has to be everything inside the universe, since we are all part of it. Therefore he must be Satan and therefore not god.
Also, as a quick side note, if he is everything else, then he is us too? And we are certainly not omnipotent. Or supernatural.
If god is the universe, he also has to be everything inside the universe, since we are all part of it. Therefore he must be Satan and therefore not god.

Must satan exist, cause god does?
Original post by MiszshorTeea786
Well Sir. He also said "the more I study Science the more I believe in god".

Stop. Seriously.
The thing is, you can't really just say that just because science doesn't prove something, it must be god.

But we do still have it, now don't we?

More than half the human population of the planet believes in God, most countries have a main religion with God as the central figure, in England we have verses like 'God save the Queen'. Obviously religion brought about massive empires.
Original post by fallenvars
Must satan exist, cause god does?

No, but then God would also be Hitler. I'm just saying that God would also have to be the bad stuff.
Original post by uberteknik
Source?

Einstein said he believed in a pantheistic interpretation where God is the universe.

In other words, his interpretation is that religion is a "childish superstition", but that science can invoke an almost spiritual emotion when contemplating the splendor of the universe because understanding is " too vast for our human minds".

That is very different from disingenuously stating Einstein believed in God.

That's not me sir. Sorry about that.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
But we do still have it, now don't we?

More than half the human population of the planet believes in God, most countries have a main religion with God as the central figure, in England we have verses like 'God save the Queen'. Obviously religion brought about massive empires.

If half the world believe that the holocaust never happened, would that make it true? Also, I was saying nothing about the empires. Yes, many empires were formed and territories annexed under the name of God. However, these empires did not believe in the same God. If there is only one God, or any God at all, then why did not all the religions have a single God? And don't tell me that stuff about "God came to Israel". There was the Akkadian empire before that.
1: I did not say he didn't say that.

2: These statements seem contradictory: Maybe he was saying that he believed more and more in a creative intelligence forming the world, not the God described in religious texts. If you can find any evidence to disprove me on this one, I would be happy to know.

Well Sir, I never said that you did say that he didn't say that did I?

Regardless of my personal religious belief, how can a universe create itself out of nothing, how did gravity exist in the first place? Who put it there? And what was the creative force behind its birth?

where did this blue touch paper come from? And who lit it, if not God?
Surely it’s impossible to prove that God exists. I mean that God has never proven himself to anybody, and while you might say that direct revelations prove this, you could say why God? It could just be a hallucination/dream.

Also one of the core beliefs of God is that he is omnipotent. But if you look up “the paradox of the stone”, you can see that it is impossible to be omnipotent, and even if God exists, what is the point of believing in him if he is not omnipotent?

If God is benevolent, why does God allow so much suffering in this world, especially natural disasters? If God really cared, he would try to protect us from these.

Another problems is miracles, why do some people get miracles whilst others don’t? If God is all-loving, then surely everyone deserves a miracle. And if everyone gets a miracle, then could they all be considered miracles? So surely miracles cannot be due to God.

Also why should we trust the Bible it’s almost 2000 years old and is this really relevant in today’s day and age? The trinity is confusing as well, how is it possible to be 3 things at once?

These are just some of the reasons why I consider myself atheist. But feel free to provide a counter argument if you’re not convinced :smile:
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
I rather die believing in the off chance there is God as well as heaven and hell (and have a chance to go heaven), than forsake myself and refuse to believe in God (and go hell as a result).

I use to think that too, but according to the bible even if I believed in God, i’d still go to hell. I’m not a good enough person if the rules set for us are judgements of that.

Also I wouldn’t want to be in heaven if that’s being with god because I have BEEF with him
(edited 6 years ago)
What if I told you that you are god.
What if I said that when you die its not "Nothing-ness"..

What if when you die, you don't. You carry on living in a multi-reality dimension of another reality that you didn't die in, and instead you wake up in the hospital recovering from the horrible car accident that killed off a part of the infinite realities ?

And you soon realise when you 150 years old that you can never die, and reality becomes weird for you that you realise that what ever you existed in your lifetime was your doings.. you are your very own architecture that built the realities you lived in because of all the time you had and you needed to entertain your formless soul.

Well, I'm saying all of this because:
1. I don't believe in any God that humans have spoke of
2. We can never truly experience our own death (We can't see that we have died). So not knowing that we are dead has only one other possibility, knowing that you still exist.

I'm not dead. And since no one has experience being dead and coming back, I can't disprove anything you're saying. I could say that I went to the garden and back right now. But you don't have any way of disproving this.
If half the world believe that the holocaust never happened, would that make it true? Also, I was saying nothing about the empires. Yes, many empires were formed and territories annexed under the name of God. However, these empires did not believe in the same God. If there is only one God, or any God at all, then why did not all the religions have a single God? And don't tell me that stuff about "God came to Israel". There was the Akkadian empire before that.

Pretty much every religion today has the idea of a single God at its core if you study them in depth, even religions like Hinduism.
And you can do any better?

Can you disprove any of the reasons? Sure, they may not be concrete, but can you actually disprove them?

Let's start with omnipotence. Omnipotence has be thought to mean the ability to do anything that is "logically possible" by many theologian. Drawing a square circles are logically impossible, hence, omnipotence does not entail the ability to draw a square circle. Who defines logic? It has been suggested by those who believe in God that logic is the arbitrary way God chose to think. In that case, could he not change the way he chose to think in order to create a square circle? Theists would say yes. Atheist might say that it is impossible to even think of a square circle to which a theist will reply "no sh!t, our thoughts can't oppose the logic that God has decided".

Obviously, this belief that God created logic and the definition of omnipotence has been disputed for a billion years (exaggeration) and is still ongoing so it is still flawed. The main point is that that square circle example proves nothing about the existence of God. I am not a believer in God, just saying.
No, but then God would also be Hitler. I'm just saying that God would also have to be the bad stuff.

Why can't god be Hitler too?
Who dictates that god has to be a all loving being who is selfless and forgiving?
Original post by JMR2018
Pretty much every religion today has the idea of a single God at its core if you study them in depth, even religions like Hinduism.

Yes. This is true. But do you see any of these religions agreeing with each other on anything? Even the Abrahamic religions are still disagreeing.
Why can't god be Hitler too?
Who dictates that god has to be a all loving being who is selfless and forgiving?

The bible.
Original post by MiszshorTeea786
Well Sir, I never said that you did say that he didn't say that did I?

Regardless of my personal religious belief, how can a universe create itself out of nothing, how did gravity exist in the first place? Who put it there? And what was the creative force behind its birth?

where did this blue touch paper come from? And who lit it, if not God?

Stop please. For Allah's sake!
I'm not dead. And since no one has experience being dead and coming back, I can't disprove anything you're saying. I could say that I went to the garden and back right now. But you don't have any way of disproving this.

Exactly my point, This whole GOD DEBATE is what you just said.
You cant disprove it or prove.
Maybe not until we experience death..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending