The Student Room Group

Does God Exist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RenéDescartes
Let's start with omnipotence. Omnipotence has be thought to mean the ability to do anything that is "logically possible" by many theologian. Drawing a square circles are logically impossible, hence, omnipotence does not entail the ability to draw a square circle. Who defines logic? It has been suggested by those who believe in God that logic is the arbitrary way God chose to think. In that case, could he not change the way he chose to think in order to create a square circle? Theists would say yes. Atheist might say that it is impossible to even think of a square circle to which a theist will reply "no sh!t, our thoughts can't oppose the logic that God has decided".

Obviously, this belief that God created logic and the definition of omnipotence has been disputed for a billion years (exaggeration) and is still ongoing so it is still flawed. The main point is that that square circle example proves nothing about the existence of God. I am not a believer in God, just saying.

You really have done your research! Well done, its nice to see a dedicated theologian on here. Now, so omnipotence is anything that is logically possible. Then how did God create the universe? That isn't logically possible. Logic dictates you can't make something from nothing. I'm interested to see what you think about this. Also, before you start quoting Stephen Hawking, we're talking about something supernatural here. So you can't use science to justify God's existence.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Unkilled
If half the world believe that the holocaust never happened, would that make it true? Also, I was saying nothing about the empires. Yes, many empires were formed and territories annexed under the name of God. However, these empires did not believe in the same God. If there is only one God, or any God at all, then why did not all the religions have a single God? And don't tell me that stuff about "God came to Israel". There was the Akkadian empire before that.

The main point is that we can't see God, but we know he exists because of Religious texts. Some people claim to be God (we got Hitler and Buddha) but they all died. Some people were worshipped as a God (Jesus - he didn't die per the Islamic view).

The thing when looking at the grand scale of things God has been linked with humanity since times long past. Obviously I'm Muslim - i believe that Jews, Christians and Muslims essentially worship the same God. The figures are all linked to each other and idol worshipping is banned in each. Though the rules within each are different because the texts (Torah and Bible) have been changed.

The only way to prove God exists is through his texts - and that is the reason why i believe in him, because some passages in the Quran are proven by science (embryonic development) over a millennium before the scientific research found out about it.
Yes. This is true. But do you see any of these religions agreeing with each other on anything? Even the Abrahamic religions are still disagreeing.

Every religion has the right to be correct for themselves. We can't change the mind of a lion to eat grass..

Respect what individuals belief cause in the end, its what comforts them that is most important
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
The main point is that we can't see God, but we know he exists because of Religious texts. Some people claim to be God (we got Hitler and Buddha) but they all died. Some people were worshipped as a God (Jesus - he didn't die per the Islamic view).

The thing when looking at the grand scale of things God has been linked with humanity since times long past. Obviously I'm Muslim - i believe that Jews, Christians and Muslims essentially worship the same God. The figures are all linked to each other and idol worshipping is banned in each. Though the rules within each are different because the texts (Torah and Bible) have been changed.

The only way to prove God exists is through his texts - and that is the reason why i believe in him, because some passages in the Quran are proven by science (embryonic development) over a millennium before the scientific research found out about it.

I actually disagree that his texts prove his existence, We cant even be sure that "His Texts" are even his
Original post by MiszshorTea786
Stop please. For Allah's sake!

Sir, I would appreciate if you would please stop making duplicates of my original account.

Thank you.
Original post by fallenvars
Exactly my point, This whole GOD DEBATE is what you just said.
You cant disprove it or prove.
Maybe not until we experience death..

OK. Let's change the terms of the debate here. Since right now, I've been arguing that God doesn't exist. Let's hear some of the reasons why he should, perhaps?
And your argument is?

Can you not read?

I said we don't need "God". And so I couldn't care less about this "argument"
Original post by cat_mac
I use to think that too, but according to the bible even if I believed in God, i’d still go to hell. I’m not a good enough person if the rules set for us are judgements of that.

Also I wouldn’t want to be in heaven if that’s being with god because I have BEEF with him

If you have beef with God then wouldn't that essentially align you with Satan? Who also challenged the authority of God...

We always sin, whether you or me or the Pope or the Imam. Even God knows this, so that's why he says just ask for forgiveness (since if you don't ever ask for something, you shouldn't expect to be given it) and he'll forgive. God is all forgiving, so just ask for forgiveness.
Every religion has the right to be correct for themselves. We can't change the mind of a lion to eat grass..

Respect what individuals belief cause in the end, its what comforts them that is most important

Can you rephrase this so that ignoramuses such as myself can understand it? What do you mean by "correct for themselves"?
If you have beef with God then wouldn't that essentially align you with Satan? Who also challenged the authority of God...

We always sin, whether you or me or the Pope or the Imam. Even God knows this, so that's why he says just ask for forgiveness (since if you don't ever ask for something, you shouldn't expect to be given it) and he'll forgive. God is all forgiving, so just ask for forgiveness.

Are you seriously trying to insinuate that if Satan just "asked" God for forgiveness, then he would be on the side of the angels again?
Original post by nonotyoutoo
Can you not read?

I said we don't need "God". And so I couldn't care less about this "argument"

This seems dismissive of dialogue.
I actually disagree that his texts prove his existence, We cant even be sure that "His Texts" are even his

Well he didn't write them, but rather told his prophets (key examples: Jesus, Muhammad. If i recall correctly Moses actually wrote down the Torah on to some stones) to spread the knowledge he (god) gives them. So the scholars of the time are the ones that compiled the texts. Obviously there's the possibility of there being some omissions but we will never know...

But the words of the Quran are the words of God, according to muslims.
Well he didn't write them, but rather told his prophets (key examples: Jesus, Muhammad. If i recall correctly Moses actually wrote down the Torah on to some stones) to spread the knowledge he (god) gives them. So the scholars of the time are the ones that compiled the texts. Obviously there's the possibility of there being some omissions but we will never know...

I have noticed that the underlying structure of the argument for God is based on "we don't know, so we assume".

Well Lucifer just challenged god’s authority and he got banished and shunned, ye i’m much more aligned with him! He didn’t want to be a slave to God, and god did what he does when someone doesn’t follow his orders and threw his toys (and lucifer) out the pram.

God didn’t forgive anyone when he flooded the whole world and killed everyone except Noah & Co. god has a history of punishing and killing those who do wrong, no forgiveness clause. He isn’t really meaning ask for forgiveness he’s saying “stop doing the thing I don’t like and conform to my rules, and maybe i’ll let you into heaven”.
Can you rephrase this so that ignoramuses such as myself can understand it? What do you mean by "correct for themselves"?

What I am trying to get across is the simple point of letting people believe whatever they want to, instead of challenging their beliefs.

Whats the point of arguing with someone about their own serenity of knowing that they will live in bliss, in life after-death?

It puts their minds at ease.. So why challenge that and take it away from them
Are you seriously trying to insinuate that if Satan just "asked" God for forgiveness, then he would be on the side of the angels again?

Well this was what he told the believers since it's Satan's task to misguide us, he urges us to sin, it's up to us choose whether we should or shouldn't... we have free will, unlike angels so sinning is something that's easy to do...
But the words of the Quran are the words of God, according to muslims.

Wrong again. Its according to religious leaders from many many years back..

If the only way to prove the existence of God is through his texts, then how do we justify the existence of God? Theoretically, some drunk guy could've written them all down. How do we know they come on the authority of God?
Does a God exist? IMO unlikely.

If a god exists, then that also raises more questions than not (such as how did the god come into existence). Simply saying "it has always existed" is not a compelling/convincing answer for me.

Nothing of course can be absolutely ruled out.
But I do believe that in the scenario where a god did exist, humanity has only a very limited understanding of God and how the whole system actually works (I believe that none of the religions have the absolute right take on god).

Personally I feel that God is simply a construct of man and that in the archaeological and historical records, (like most things in life) you can see a clear evolution in religion as a social and philosophical construct etc. I also believe that the overwhelming majority of evidence points towards there being no divine creator behind this planet/life on Earth/the solar system/galaxy/whatever.

HOWEVER.

What I think is a more important question to be asking, is not whether God (or Gods? Many religions have claimed a more complex divine system exists (which is no less plausible than the existence of a singular God)) exists, but whether religion has a good place in society or not. Because while religion of course inspires many people to do good things (giving to charity, creating unity by fostering sense of community etc), it just as much arguably achieves the opposite (creating division, justifying violence etc).

Religion exists in society whether we personally believe in God or not. And while the books don't ever change, people's interpretation of them is constantly in flux/changing. So how far do we go to tolerate religion? How separate should religion be from state? Should schools be allowed different curriculum's based on religious ideology? What should be tolerated in the name of religion (homophobia, sexism, violence? Almost all books condone these things somewhere or another)? Etc.

We cannot pretend that religion is simply a matter of personal belief, because votes are constantly affected by prevailing religious influenced social attitudes (which in turn affects scientific research funding, laws, social idea's on things such as women's rights, euthanasia, capital punishment and sexual liberty etc).

Even if we don't all feel affected by God, we are all affected by religion.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending