The Student Room Group

Grad Med Finance

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to sit GAMSAT in September and am beginning to panic a little about the financial situation because I'm seeing lots of conflicting information. Could someone clear it up for me? What can I expect on a GEM degree with regards to financial support?

I have just completed my 2nd degree (Physiotherapy), and have just enough savings to put down a deposit on a flat - I have absolutely no financial support from any relatives, though I'm hoping my girlfriend will be on-board and supportive (I still haven't told her my plans..).

My initial thought process was to, while in work, purchase a 2-bed apartment in say Nottingham (If I was to be offered a place on their course) and rent the other room out to cover my costs. Other cost-cutting exercises: I plan on getting rid of the car and use the bike instead; use my turbo-trainer and home-based exercise kit to work out, cut down on food bills (no more Ocado), and pay off my remaining direct debits on finance packages I've taken out on things that no one needs e.g. AppleMac, Concept2 Rowing Machine etc...

I was hoping I'd potentially have enough time to do some locum Physio work on a Saturday or private work on an evening or two per week - but need to look into the legalities.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Volibear
If you apply for a GEM course, you have to pay ~£3500 in your first year and then the rest of your degree is eligible to be covered by the SLC and NHS bursary. You also got a maintenance loan. This is true for all current GEM courses bar that of Imperial College London.

If you apply for normal entry courses, you have to pay for each yeah except for your final year, which is covered by the NHS bursary.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Thank you Volibear,

That clears it up for me. I'd seen a few sources that noted no maintenance loan would be available. Am I right in thinking the maintenance loan will be circa-£8000?
It's worth attending a few open days and looking at some of the threads on TSR for GEM courses. 4 year courses tend to be quite a bit more intense so much shorter holidays and less free time during term-time, which means less time available to work to make ends meet.

As explained above, the financing rules for grads on 5 year courses are different but you do get massive summer holidays that you could work through to help pay the fees for which you get no financial support.

I took about 7 years to get myself in a position where I could afford to go back to Uni to study medicine, but I had to factor in supporting a family. It may be a wise option to work for a year or two and save up a chunk of money to help you through the course.
Reply 3
Original post by Scruffy Jack
It's worth attending a few open days and looking at some of the threads on TSR for GEM courses. 4 year courses tend to be quite a bit more intense so much shorter holidays and less free time during term-time, which means less time available to work to make ends meet.

As explained above, the financing rules for grads on 5 year courses are different but you do get massive summer holidays that you could work through to help pay the fees for which you get no financial support.

I took about 7 years to get myself in a position where I could afford to go back to Uni to study medicine, but I had to factor in supporting a family. It may be a wise option to work for a year or two and save up a chunk of money to help you through the course.

Thanks for the reply.

I've spoken to a few friends who went to Warwick on the GEM and they found it not as intense as I'd originally assumed. I know both worked throughout - albeit not the 32 hour weeks I was able to maintain during the Physio degree.

With the maintenance loan I should be fine (assuming I got close to the full amount) - particularly if I was able to get my hands on a 2 bed apartment and rent the other room out/my girlfriend didn't leave me and moved with me (haha).

The confirmation of a maintenance loan has massively helped. Any additional work I did would just be a bonus/beer money.

Interesting.
Reply 4
If you apply for a GEM course, you have to pay ~£3500 in your first year and then the rest of your degree is eligible to be covered by the SLC and NHS bursary. You also got a maintenance loan. This is true for all current GEM courses bar that of Imperial College London.

If you apply for normal entry courses, you have to pay for each yeah except for your final year, which is covered by the NHS bursary.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

From what I read recently, you have to pay £9,250 in the first year. Afterwards, the NHS covers £3,715, meaning you have to pay the £5,535 yourself or apply to student finance.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
And where did you read this?

EDIT: This may be true, but I assume most people would be applying for student finance

Nottingham GEM is where I got the information. Also, a friend who started med in September 2017 at Warwick said it's the same situation there.
Reply 6
Ahh yes, I misunderstood.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending