The Student Room Group

Shockingly Bad Propaganda Advert - Ancestrydna.com

If ever there was an example of extreme brainwashing this is surely it. An advert playing the airwaves repeatedly right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GntV_xseqR8

Watch out for it and be angry at how stupid they take you for in thinking they can dupe you with their sleight of hand tricks.

Watch it and see if you can spot the outrageous errors.

These are clearly a bunch of whinging Remainers.

The ad says that :

"The average persons DNA is 60% European"

Well of course it is, Britain is part of Europe is it not?!!

The pearler is at the end of the ad where they proudly put up the strap line:

"We may be leaving Europe
But Europe will never leave us"

How insulting is that sleight of hand?

It's a complete lie, a total fabrication and how the ad got through advertising standards and checks we might well ask. This is propaganda of the worst kind imo.

Clearly Britain IS NOT LEAVING EUROPE !

Europe is a continent made up of differing and diverse countries. A great continent with a wide variety of values, traditions and local customs. I love it. I love Europeans. Nothing is changing in this respect. Britain is not leaving Europe, it will remain in Europe, it will remain a European country.

Britain is LEAVING THE EU . . . . the EUROPEAN UNION

See the difference?!

The EU is an unelected politburo of commie megalomaniacs whom the majority of voting Brits want no part of. The EU is what we are leaving, not Europe.

AncestryDNA can not surely be ignorant of that fact. Therefore this is imo pure propaganda by Remainers trying to thwart democracy and engender feelings of BrExit regret to get people to fight to Remain.

Advertising standards should never have let this air, and should now take it down. I will be reporting it. Hope others will too.

Scroll to see replies

Personally I feel like everyone should be allowed to display political opinions, both remain and leave.
Original post by alextheowl
Personally I feel like everyone should be allowed to display political opinions, both remain and leave.

Yep but in the world of advertising what you display MUST be factually correct.

Britain is NOT leaving Europe.

Therefore this advert contravenes the rules and should be removed.

Hope you see the difference there
How To Complain

Anyone who wishes to complain about this advert can lodge a complaint here at the Advertising Standards Authority:

https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html
(edited 6 years ago)
The vast majority of people are intelligent enough understand that in this context, leaving Europe refers to the EU, not leaving the geographic region of Europe and floating off into the Atlantic.

As for complaining about it, I can think of better ways to spend my time on Sunday, but whatever floats your boat.
You're reading far too much into this.

It's a **** advert though.
A shocking advert, yep definitely propaganda.

Sue the Company that made it as if we aren't already leaving the EU.

Real talk.
C'mon were not in the middle of a referendum we already voted to leave, nothing will change.
Original post by Sulfolobus
The vast majority of people are intelligent enough understand that in this context, leaving Europe refers to the EU, not leaving the geographic region of Europe and floating off into the Atlantic.

Totally disagree. The populous is largely dumbed down and perpetually fed false misleading BS like this. This advert presents the situation as the UK saying goodbye to all these diverse people in different countries, which is utterly false.

We are leaving the totally corrupt totalitarian federal states of Europe, the EU, nothing more.

This ad is pure propaganda, pure Remainiac BS of the highest order.

It needs to be removed.
Original post by Sulfolobus

As for complaining about it, I can think of better ways to spend my time on Sunday, but whatever floats your boat.

Nah, haven't you heard? New Brexit plan is to strap a couple of outboard motors to Dover and pilot across to become the 51st state of the USA.

This thread though... Whining for the sake of whining. You won, get over it.
why so triggered, deal with it. idc about dumb ads
Reply 10
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth

Factually accurate about the product, not about semantics everyone understands.
Reply 11
Totally disagree. The populous is largely dumbed down and perpetually fed false misleading BS like this.

You make it sound like people didn't know what they were voting for.

The UK populous knew what it was voting for when we decided to leave thank you very much.

And we don't need your thought police either.
I'm jewish
My DNA results are
40.2% middle eastern
34% East African
7% Melanesian
#triggered much.

The EU is an unelected politburo of commie megalomaniacs whom the majority of voting Brits want no part of. The EU is what we are leaving, not Europe.

The last time I looked, I voted for my MEP to represent me in the European Parliament. That would be the body of elected representatives that have the final say in all EU legislation.

But hey ho. We will see what happens after we leave. Looks like we might get the nightmare that is Boris and Mr 1840s Mogg if we don't get a hard Brexit. It looks to me like all the good stuff we have enjoyed is to be thrown away in favour of some rose tinted idea that working down t'pit 16 hours a day is they way to make Britain great again.
ancestry is **** anyway they told me i was 91% middle eastern but middle eastern isnt an ethnicity. they were able to clock a 0.1% yakut but not figure out any ethnicities from the middle east kmt
I had a redbull once and I didn’t grow the wings I was promised, as we all know TV advertising is 100% proven fact. Shocked and appalled.
Original post by ByEeek
The last time I looked, I voted for my MEP to represent me in the European Parliament. That would be the body of elected representatives that have the final say in all EU legislation.

No-One Voted For Mr Juncker

https://www.politico.eu/article/no-one-voted-for-mr-juncker/

"certain MEPs have invented a new process whereby they are trying to both choose and elect the candidate. Each of the main political groups ran “lead candidates” so called Spitzenkandidaten during the elections and did a back-room deal to join forces after the elections in support of the lead candidate of the party that won the most seats. This concept was never agreed by the European Council. It was not negotiated between the European institutions. And it was never ratified by national parliaments.
Yet, supporters of Spitzenkandidaten argue that the elections have happened, the people of Europe have chosen Jean-Claude Juncker as Commission president and that it would be undemocratic for elected national leaders to choose anyone else.
It is not an attack on Mr Juncker, an experienced European politician, to say this is nonsense. Most Europeans did not vote in the European Parliament elections. Turnout declined in the majority of member states. Nowhere was Mr Juncker on the ballot paper. Even in Germany, where the concept of Spitzenkandidaten got the most airtime, only 15% of voters even knew he was a candidate. He did not visit some member states. Those who voted did so to choose their MEP not the Commission president. Mr Juncker did not stand anywhere and was not elected by anyone."
Reply 18

Brexiters are under the impression Britain will fit out board motors to East Anglia and sail into the middle of the Atlantic.
No-One Voted For Mr Juncker

Only 37,718 of the 45,766,000 eligible voting population of the UK voted for Theresa May. In fact, I didn't even get a choice.

So whatever criticism you have about how undemocratic the EU is, you can hardly hold up our own democracy as being a beacon of progressive will of the people by the people for the people.

At least the EU occasionally introduces good stuff like environmental regulations which saw our title as the dirty man of Europe removed, removal of roaming charges for mobile phone users outlawed and compensation for European passengers delayed by their airline.

I am still to be given just one - yep that's right - just one law imposed by the EU that is somehow holding us back. Just one. Go on - any you like!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending