The Student Room Group

Is Sexual orientation a choice?

If you are straight, Did you choose to be Straight?
If you are gay or bi, Did you choose to be that?

The new study from a team led by at North Shore University, Illinois, looked at DNA from 1,077 gay and 1,231 straight men. They analyzed each subject’s entire genome, searching for single-letter variations in DNA sequences and they found two similar gay genes on most of the test recipients.

This ground-breaking study may prove that Gay people are indeed born gay and straight people are indeed born straight and sexual orientation is not a choice.

I personally believe you choose to be what you want, straight, bi or gay.

http://bigthink.com/robby-berman/scientists-link-2-genes-to-homosexuality-in-menhttp://bigthink.com/robby-berman/scientists-link-2-genes-to-homosexuality-in-men

Scroll to see replies

I honestly think that it is something like 40% genetic and 60% lifestyle and life experiences, but I honestly do not know
Reply 2
Sexual Orientation is not a choice but you can express it however you want.
I don't think it's a choice.

I didn't choose to be straight, I just am. I've never told myself to be attracted to guys - I just am. I couldn't make myself be attracted to girls, ever.
10% genetics, 90% choice. I would have said 100% choice/ lifestyle but we can never be sure...
Reply 5
Of course its not a choice.. some people are strict about their sexual orientation others aren’t. There’s this new wave of ‘open minded’ people who will try stuff but its not necessarily something that excites them like its not their go to idea for sexual pleasure.

Also there’s interesting stories about how you can fall in love with someone that doesn’t always align with your sexual orientation e.g some guys who are comfortably gay fall in love with women or a guy who’s always been straight falling in love with a guy.. not common but it does happen. I guess you could argue they’re bisexual but most the time they admit to being strict to the orientation they thought they were. I guess this shows sexual orientation might be influenced by nurture and could be ‘fluid’ although its different for everyone. Just how some people have hair and eye colour that changes naturally, I guess it could be the same with sexual orientation
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by no real roots
I don't think it's a choice.

I didn't choose to be straight, I just am. I've never told myself to be attracted to guys - I just am. I couldn't make myself be attracted to girls, ever.

Me neither tbh. I personally think you're meant to be straight, so don't chose it. You just get it, right? But for people who are gay, did they chose to be gay? I think that should be the question :hmmmm:
Original post by The PoliticalGuy

The new study from a team led by at North Shore University, Illinois, looked at DNA from 1,077 gay and 1,231 straight men. They analyzed each subject’s entire genome, searching for single-letter variations in DNA sequences and they found two similar gay genes on most of the test recipients.

This ground-breaking study may prove that Gay people are indeed born gay and straight people are indeed born straight and sexual orientation is not a choice.

http://bigthink.com/robby-berman/scientists-link-2-genes-to-homosexuality-in-menhttp://bigthink.com/robby-berman/scientists-link-2-genes-to-homosexuality-in-men

Did you wake up one day and think, "You know what, I've chosen to fancy girls and be straight"? Obviously not, it wasn't a decision; it was subconscious and you couldn't control it.The same is for gay people like me, I didn't just choose to be gay for whatever reason. I don't like girls at all. I don't like baked beans at all, I can't suddenly just choose to like them one day and then carry on liking them, it's the same principle.

You've posted scientific research that invalidates your own opinion. Why should I or anyone else sensible believe you over science? We don't.
Original post by Glassapple
Did you wake up one day and think, "You know what, I've chosen to fancy girls and be straight"? Obviously not, it wasn't a decision; it was subconscious and you couldn't control it.The same is for gay people like me, I didn't just choose to be gay for whatever reason. I don't like girls at all. I don't like baked beans at all, I can't suddenly just choose to like them one day and then carry on liking them, it's the same principle.

You've posted scientific research that invalidates your own opinion. Why should I or anyone else sensible believe you over science? We don't.

Maybe it's not a choice then. Lifestyle?
Reply 9
It itsn't a choice end of thread th-th-th-tha-tha-tha-that's all, folks!
Original post by LunaCat
Me neither tbh. I personally think you're meant to be straight, so don't chose it. You just get it, right? But for people who are gay, did they chose to be gay? I think that should be the question :hmmmm:

I guess people are 'meant to be straight' from an evolutionary perspective, and you're right that straight people don't choose to be straight - just as, in my opinion, gay people don't choose to be gay.
Reply 11
Original post by The PoliticalGuy

You've just quoted scientific evidence and yet are disputing it? I think it is overwhelmingly biological but can possibly also be subconsciously influenced by your environment such as exposure to media and acceptance of homosexuality in your society and within your network of friends/family. But it is definitely not a conscious choice.
Original post by LunaCat

That's ridiculous, there's no such thing as a gay lifestyle. I don't like stereotypical gay things like musicals etc. I go to school and do things that straight people do. I'm 17 and I'm gay, my parents never encouraged me to read chat magazines, talk in a camp voice or wear make up, nor would I ever choose to do these things. Not every gay, in fact the overwhelming vast majority, do not do these things at all. I play video games, exercise, read, listen to music, I'm not camp, all things that are in the lifestyles of straight people. The stereotypical things are what the media latched onto in the '60s to '90s. These things do not represent the vast majority of gay people at all.
(edited 6 years ago)
There have been dozens of studies on what causes homosexuality, and in general it seems to be a mix of genetics and environment. If it was entirely down to genetics at birth we would expect identical twins to always share the same sexuality, but they don't. Also, we've mapped the human genome pretty thoroughly and we can predict a wide range of diseases, disorders and defects, but for some reason sexuality is still a mystery. So no, I doubt it's just down to our genes.

As for choice, a person can choose to explore fantasies and act on certain feelings, and that might then affect the development and maturation of their sexuality in some way. However, I highly doubt anyone simply wakes up one day and chooses to be a homosexual.
GWL studies always come with thr caveat that their results should be treated with caution. It's a field notorious for spurious results for multiple reasons. A brief look at the paper and I can see that this study does not have a particularly big sample size and does not include a replication set.

Although it far better approach than the people in this thread pulling percentages out of their backsides.
As a girl who is attracted to girls, I do not believe sexual orientation is a choice.

It took me seven years to accept that I was attracted to girls. I started to realise I was attracted to females when I was 6 years old. I found it a massive struggle to come to terms with it. Although, when I came out at the age of 13, everyone including friends and family were very supportive. I never contemplated coming out I just told my Mum really casually one day without even thinking.

I don't think I would choose to be gay given the choice. It was a complete head **** whilst growing up and coming out is a continuous process throughout life. It can be exhausting, worrying and overwhelming. There are many occasions in which I have wished to be heterosexual.

Although I don't believe there is a conscious choice for sexual orientation, I do believe that certain parts of my life have contributed to my sexuality. For example, I have never had a positive relationship with my Father and my parents divorced I was ten. After this happened I felt the need to step up and take care of my Mum etc.

On the other hand, my medical tests show that I have more testosterone than the average woman which I've always found interesting.

My sexuality does not feel like a big deal to me because I don't think it can be changed and I don't think it's good to dwell on it. I live life as normally as anyone else and just get on with things.
I'm bi and spent the majority of my teen years wishing it was just a phase and would go away. It was something I was ashamed of. If I could have made a 'choice' and turned it off back then I would have. Nowadays I wouldn't wish that, but it's been 12 years since my first crush on a girl.
Reply 17
Original post by Dandaman1
There have been dozens of studies on what causes homosexuality, and in general it seems to be a mix of genetics and environment. If it was entirely down to genetics at birth we would expect identical twins to always share the same sexuality, but they don't. Also, we've mapped the human genome pretty thoroughly and we can predict a wide range of diseases, disorders and defects, but for some reason sexuality is still a mystery. So no, I doubt it's just down to our genes.

As for choice, a person can choose to explore fantasies and act on certain feelings, and that might then affect the development and maturation of their sexuality in some way. However, I highly doubt anyone simply wakes up one day and chooses to be a homosexual.

First of all, identical twins don't have identical genes.
And second of all, biologists say they don't expect to find one 'gay' gene. This is even the case with diseases, usually it's a combination of genes that means someone is born with or prone to develop a particular disease.
It's probaly possible that the combination of genes found to cause diseases have been discovered because of far more time and money spent on researching them.
It's very probable that the exact combination of genes causing homosexuality will be found in the future
Original post by LunaCat

If lifestyle did affect it that doesnt make it a choice so idk why you are treating it as two separate binaries. If someone grows up with bad lung function because they happen to live in a polluted area that isnt a choice on their part. Lots of things happen in life that people cant control and which affect everything from physical and mental health.
Idk if the way someone lives or is brought up affects it or if it is genetic. Tbh i think it is an irrelevant point anyway as life conditions dont = choice (therefore 'bad' because that is what people insinuate) and genetics dont = no choice ('good' because it's not their 'fault')
I did not choose to be gay just as you did not choose to be straight. They are both sexual orientations and to suggest that you can not choose one but choose the other is illogical.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by G.Y
You've just quoted scientific evidence and yet are disputing it? I think it is overwhelmingly biological but can possibly also be subconsciously influenced by your environment such as exposure to media and acceptance of homosexuality in your society and within your network of friends/family. But it is definitely not a conscious choice.

It is called showing both sides of the arguments and making a balanced conclusion ,whether I believe the scientific evidence is another thing.

It seems their is a overall consensus on that sexual orientation is not a choice but lifestyle and environment plays a big role in it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending