The Student Room Group

Newcastle MSc Language Pathology offers

I've recently had an offer for the MSc at Newcastle Uni and wanted to find others who have got a place who will be on the course in September... I had a great group at the interview last Wednesday (20th) and would like to get in touch if any of you got a place!
Reply 1
hello!

I'm Alice and I got a place at Newcastle too! So you've accepted the offer I take it? Well done! I was at the Wednesday interview, I wonder if I was in your group?
There's nothing on facebook yet for the 2016 group, I want to start one, let's be facebook friends haha and get the ball rolling!
Reply 2
Hi both!

I got accepted to Newcastle too 😊 We should definitely start a Fb group. My name is Sally! I was at the Monday interview.
Reply 3
Hi guys!

I attended the Monday interview back in January and i've got a place at Newcastle as well! A facebook group sounds like a good idea - is there one up and running?
Happy to start one if not!

Eleanor :smile:
Reply 4
Hi guys, theres a facebook group already but theres only about five of us on there! Its called Newcastle University MSc Language Pathology 2016 :smile:

Sophie
Hi guys I was wondering if you can help me asnwer a few questions about this course. I'm only on the 2nd year of my degree (nearly finished) and I'm graduating next year (2018) does that mean that I will have to apply for the course after I graduate (meaning I don't start till 2019) or can I still apply for 2018 entry? I also want to find out, seen as you have already started the course what is your timetable like? Are you at Uni 5 days a week, or is there still any chance to get a part time job alongside the course? Also what experience did you have before you applied? And the last one, what is the interview like? Is it a group one or individual and what are they looking for on the interview? I would be extremely greatful for any answers :smile:
Reply 6
Hi - for 1 or 2 of the courses they accept applications before you've graduated (but check the websites - last year I'm pretty sure it was Greenwich??) but the vast majority inc. Newcastle need you to hold your degree to apply so yes, you would need to wait until 2019. All the courses AFAIK want you to have experience working with adults/children, so working as an SLTa or TA with SEN kids, or in a communication group with adults with aphasia is perfect, and it's best to use the year between graduating and applying to build up your experience.
re: the timetable, I'm not gonna lie, this year has been incredibly intense (I've heard 2nd year is better though). First semester most days we were in 9-4 or 5, with half days on Wednesday and a lighter day on Friday. This semester we've had a lot fewer lectures, but have on-site placement all day Friday which is a lot of work so it sort of balances out. I personally wouldn't and didn't, but some people do have part-time jobs - Newcastle uni has some which are flexible to your schedule which some people do so it's possible, it all just depends on what you're used to, and how much free time you're willing to sacrifice! You could literally spend every waking moment studying and still not do all the "recommended" things they ask but you do learn to triage what's important, eventually!
As for the interview, I just did the Newcastle one which involved a short presentation, as written observation task and two group tasks, no 1-1 interviews. A lot of people said it was the nicest atmosphere for interview of all the unis they went to. They're looking at your ability to work with others to problem solve, confidence and ability to communicate clearly (at least that's the impression I got). Awareness of people with communication needs is a must but they're definitely not expecting you to be an expert :smile:
Hope that helps (can you tell I'm supposed to be doing assignments?)
Thank you for your reply it's really helpful!
I just want to clarify I am studying Psychology and Counselling but I've read they are taking Psychology graduates on this course. I've also done Counselling skills level 2 course so I guess this will be helpful.
About the experience, I don't have any experience with Children, but I do have experience volunteering as Appropriate Adult, Mental Health supporter, and now I'm volunteering as Therapeutic Care volunteer at the hospital ( done a few months on Neurological Ward and now I'll be moving to Stroke patients ward and working in collaboration with speech and language therapists as a part of therapy team - meaning I'll be doing my own 'talk therapy' but I'll be making notes and work with the team to improve the therapy - which is still volunteering and doesn't actually involve any shadowing but I think it's something? And i could see if they let me shadow them). I also work as a support worker with people with mental health and learning disabilities (mostly LD). Now I know you'll tell me to talk to University but do you think this experience would be enough? Or does it have to be a proper job as SLTA?
Now I was asking about the time table because the only University I'd pick to do this course is Newcastle Uni because I am in Teesside and I won't be able to move anywhere from here, so Newcastle is the best option if I need to drive there everyday. The other reason is that I have a part time job now (working Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and I could probably adjust my hours to do it alongside the course even though it's going ro be hard, but I cannot afford to give it up, so basically I need to work and if I can't I will have to give up the course (which I really don't want to do).
Is there even a point for me to even think about doing this course then?
Good luck with your assignments:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi, yep, absolutely they take psychology grads (most of the course was either English or Psych - I did foreign languages). That experience sounds really great, especially how you have more than one thing under your belt, you definitely don't have to have worked as an SLTa. A couple of people on the course now had less experience than you it sounds like, it's just about what you can show you've learned from it. Some courses want a wide range, but Newcastle definitely is not fixed on a "minimum" amount of experience - so don't worry there. A tip for applying: if you're still in contact with SLTs, get one of them to read through your application and/or give you advice on your interview. The best bit of advice I got was that they're not just looking for you in group situations to "shine" by being better/saying more than everyone, but how you can encourage others and get the best from THEM, i.e. addressing people who haven't spoken in a while and asking their opinion. So much of the job is about interpersonal communication and teamworking that they really like that skill in you.

But all of this is moot if you can't actually do the course because of working! So, to that, it really depends on how flexible your working hours are. You will definitely not be able to skip lectures or bend the timetable, and like I said, Fridays in semester 2 is clinic day so you'll be in 9-5ish every week for 3 months. If you asked the course leaders, they would 100% say don't do, say, a 20-hour work week plus the course, and honestly I would say max. 10 hours per week if you want to semi keep on top of everything. But it really depends on how hard-working and efficient you are - if you're happy to work most evenings on top of up to 20 hours of lectures and your job, then you could do it. I couldn't, but I'm quite a slow, procrastinatey person :smile:
Reply 9
Anyone had an offer for the course starting 2018? I need to find some flatmates!
Original post by TeaChild
Anyone had an offer for the course starting 2018? I need to find some flatmates!

Hey I've been accepted too! So excited to start :biggrin:
Original post by TeaChild

Hi, sorry I know it's been a while since you posted this, but was wondering if you'd found anyone else on the course? I cant find a facebook group! Thank you :smile:
Hi has anyone got an offer to start the MSc Language Pathology in September 2019?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending