The Student Room Group

How would you react to this?

So you're watching a really sad movie and, when a tragic event happens, you start tearing up. Your friend, who's watching the film with you, sees you and says, "Why are you crying? It's only fiction, you know."

Would you:

A) Realise that they have a point, so you stop crying
B) Ignore them because you know that they can't emphasise with the character as well as you can

Just curious :smile:
Reply 1
Both! I think everyone tends to acknowledge the fictional element, but emphasising with a character can be too difficult not to do sometimes.

I ball at a whole lot of movies, so ultimately B!
I'm more likely to just tell them to shut up. Then we'd both probably end up laughing about it.
Sorry if this is unpopular opinion, but I'm with the person asking the question... I've never even got near to crying about a movie or tv show... just don't understand how the emotional involvement can happen...

Though if you do cry at movies/tv shows, then fair play, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, just don't know how it happens.
Original post by Mystelle
So you're watching a really sad movie and, when a tragic event happens, you start tearing up. Your friend, who's watching the film with you, sees you and says, "Why are you crying? It's only fiction, you know."

Would you:

B) Ignore them because you know that they can't emphasise with the character as well as you can

(B)
Original post by aalia3496
(B)

I would continue crying and understand that they are unable to emphasise on the character
B all the way lolllll
Then i would laugh
I don't cry watching films. Those who go weepy should toughen up.

Like someone already pointed out, it's only fiction. I can understand someone tearing up if it's real life.
Reply 8
Original post by mobbsy91
Sorry if this is unpopular opinion, but I'm with the person asking the question... I've never even got near to crying about a movie or tv show... just don't understand how the emotional involvement can happen...

Though if you do cry at movies/tv shows, then fair play, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, just don't know how it happens.

No it's not a problem if a person doesn't get emotional about a sad film. I just find it annoying when that unemotional person implies it's wrong to get emotionally attached to a movie character. (like what happened to me the other day) :/
Reply 9
Original post by ThePricklyOne
I don't cry watching films. Those who go weepy should toughen up.

Like someone already pointed out, it's only fiction. I can understand someone tearing up if it's real life.

But when we're watching a film, we don't consciously think about the fact that it's a made up situation. If you think it's not worth crying over a fictional character, is it worth feeling happy about them? After all, they're just a product of the director, aren't they? Why even bother watching a film if you don't allow yourself to feel any kind of emotions?
But when we're watching a film, we don't consciously think about the fact that it's a made up situation. If you think it's not worth crying over a fictional character, is it worth feeling happy about them? After all, they're just a product of the director, aren't they? Why even bother watching a film if you don't allow yourself to feel any kind of emotions?

I can enjoy a film without overreacting to it.

So why can you cry over a fictional character but don't do the same when you see real suffering on the news? Is the expression of emotion on a fictional character a kind of self-serving exercise that wouldn't work when the suffering / death is real?
Reply 11

Would you:

B. I don't want to go too deep but I am so done with real life that I just binge-watch shows and movies every night. I sleep a little. So, for some reason I always relate to characters in certain extent and I create such deep connection that even if they have a papercut in the video, I will start to feel pain. I hope someone gets me because I think I am way too sensitive and emotional.
Reply 12
I can enjoy a film without overreacting to it.

So why can you cry over a fictional character but don't do the same when you see real suffering on the news? Is the expression of emotion on a fictional character a kind of self-serving exercise that wouldn't work when the suffering / death is real?

I certainly feel pity when I hear about the misfortunes around the world on the news - and I'm sure everyone do as well - but movies characters are designed for you to be attached with. We can feel angry, sympathetic, happy depending on what their situation is. If the characters can get some sort of emotional response out of you then the directors are doing their job right. It's not at all overreacting.

So when you're watching the film, do you feel unemotional about it without having to think that they're fictional, or do you only stop being unemotional when you remind yourself that it's fictional?
(edited 6 years ago)
I certainly feel pity when I hear about the misfortunes around the world on the news - and I'm sure everyone do as well - but movies characters are designed for you to be attached with. We can feel angry, sympathetic, happy depending on what their situation is. If the characters can get some sort of emotional response out of you then the directors are doing their job right. It's not at all overreacting.

So when you're watching the film, do you feel unemotional about it without having to think that they're fictional, or do you only stop being unemotional when you remind yourself that it's fictional?

I know its fiction so my feelings are modified by the awareness that it is the intention of the directors/writers/actors/composer of the soundtrack to manipulate audience reaction. I feel something but probably not as much as someone who doesn't have or choose not to have this awareness.

I'm also very hard to lie to, probably for this reason. My mind operates in multiple streams of analysis.
Reply 14
I know its fiction so my feelings are modified by the awareness that it is the intention of the directors/writers/actors/composer of the soundtrack to manipulate audience reaction. I feel something but probably not as much as someone who doesn't have or choose not to have this awareness.

I'm also very hard to lie to, probably for this reason. My mind operates in multiple streams of analysis.

Do you like having this awareness? And do you think everyone should have it?
Do you like having this awareness? And do you think everyone should have it?

I guess I like it because it helps me in life & in uni where I do STEM degree involving lots of analysis.

I don't think everyone should have it - life would be boring if people are all the same. I know a guy who's very good a recognising people and things that's he'd seen only once. If you show him a card he'd remember it along with you and what you were wearing at the time. Exams, especially Maths are easy for him. I'm envious!

I think people who cry or react to fiction emotionally may be because they're highly empathic and can sense the underlying emotions in the characters or in the situation presented in the film. Whereas I clearly don't have this ability to do this or to understand someone able to do it.

Would you:

If I am crying during watching a film, I would behave myself in the situation of B). Sure, he or she has a good point to agree, but if it is event in the film similar to a sad moment in my life, I can't stop crying.
I would cry harder because I feel bad that they obviously have problems expressing their emotions
Original post by Mickie14
I would cry harder because I feel bad that they obviously have problems expressing their emotions

Well, people seem really to regard this behaviour as a weakness. My family from father's side had also problems when I expressed my emotions by crying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending