The Student Room Group

Does God Exist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cat_mac
If you use the logic of “someone must have made it” then you must think someone created God. How did god begin? I remember in youth group being told to say “faith is believing in god despite not having all the answers” when people asked that question. But you can’t use “because god” as an argument since theres no way to prove he exists.

He isn’t very merciful or kind if you’ve read the bible.

i have a strong belief in god i dont need to be finding logic about it because i belive in god why do people deney god when science has proved god exists only ignorant people would ignore it
Original post by Unkilled
As Einstein said: "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness."

Religion has also given people the strength to be brave and compassionate in extremely difficult and scary situations.
Well, I would say that there isn't a god. Not that I think that it isn't possible for some higher entity to exist: that could be credible, but I don't think there is enough evidence to support that belief. However, I do think that the God described in religious texts does not exist.

This is because it is not logically possible for a god to possess any of the following factors:
- Omnipotence
- Omniscience
- Omnipresence
- Omnibenevolence
- Supernatural

Omnipotence is not possible because you can't make a square circle. Omniscience because then the God would've known his own existence before he existed. Which is impossible. Omnibenevolence speaks for itself, and I refuse to believe that God is supernatural giving that his existence MUST have a scientific explanation. As for Omnipresence, the universe constantly expands. So there.

Although I am certain that gods of religions don't exist (because their texts are full of errors, contradictions and theological flaws), the arguments you've given above aren't very good ones in an attempt to disprove a general deity.

1) The characteristic of omnipotence has not been defined as "being able to do anything" by theists for centuries now. They knew, all those years ago, that such a concept would include the flaws you've pointed out. Theists have therefore redefined omnipotence to mean "the power to do anything that is logically possible". In this way, God would still be omnipotent, he cannot make a square circle, not because he isn't omnipotent, but because a square circle is logically impossible. Not even God can make a married bachelor or a child who is its own parent, because these things are internally contradictory. Nonsense is still nonsense, even when applied to God.

2) Not quite sure what you're trying to say by the omniscience point considering that most theists believe God has always existed and never came into existence.

3) How does the expansion of the universe contradict an omnipresent god?
Original post by asianprincess123
i dont need to read the bible thank you because its been changed and i will read the quran because it has the truth and before you say god isnt mercifull and kind just think how disrespectfull that is to people who belive in god especially muslims like myselve

Since I grew up christian that god is who I refer to when I talk specifically about my beef, I can’t comment on any other religions as I don’t have the knowledge.

I believe that a god who demands to be worshipped and obeyed without question is nothing more than a dictator or a slave owner. And I find it disrespectful for a so called higher power to murder and torture, or condemn people to hell (or something like it) if they don’t do exactly as he says.
Original post by cat_mac
If you use the logic of “someone must have made it” then you must think someone created God. How did god begin? I remember in youth group being told to say “faith is believing in god despite not having all the answers” when people asked that question. But you can’t use “because god” as an argument since theres no way to prove he exists.

He isn’t very merciful or kind if you’ve read the bible.

God creates but is not created itself. God does not begin because God has always existed. To suggest that God has a beginning would suggest that he is human. God is the Prime Mover whose desire and will moves other things to come into existence.

Also, there is no way to prove that God doesn't exist. Agnosticism seems the most logical viewpoint to have.

It depends on what part of the bible you read as is the case with any holy book. The Old Testament certainly has more stories about God's Vengeance than the New Testament.
Original post by alrarity09
I actually do agree with this, like if you believe in a god and its correct, woohoo you get to go to heaven, if its incorrect like you would care anyway cause you're dead by that point. However if you disbelief and there is a god then you're gonna go to hell right.

Well no, because if you're wrong and the real god is one you didn't believe in then you're also going to hell. What you're describing here is Pascal's Wager, and it's been debunked a million times.
i have a strong belief in god i dont need to be finding logic about it because i belive in god why do people deney god when science has proved god exists only ignorant people would ignore it

No one asked you to join in on this thread and debate the existence of god, so maybe you do have some underlying interest in the possibility that he could not.

Science has proven at most that god probably doesn’t exist. There is no scientific evidence to support the god theory, but if you have some please share a link so the rest of the world can see this undeniable proof of god?
i dont need to read the bible thank you because its been changed and i will read the quran because it has the truth and before you say god isnt mercifull and kind just think how disrespectfull that is to people who belive in god especially muslims like myselve

Quran same as bible - revised many times. Your merciful God is a liar who is happy to tell his mindless followers to kill anyone who don't believe. Also to kill even those who do believe, should they have doubts about religion.

Re: your comment about it being disrespectful to you. Promoting genocidal religion is more disrespectful to the numerous dead killed by religion - both Christianity and Islam.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
The main point is that we can't see God, but we know he exists because of Religious texts. Some people claim to be God (we got Hitler and Buddha) but they all died. Some people were worshipped as a God (Jesus - he didn't die per the Islamic view).

This is a non-sequitur, dying doesn't necessarily mean something isn't God. God, if it exists, could very easily choose to incarnate in a biological body which is then subject to death. Also, when did Hitler claim to be God, I've never heard of that before?

The thing when looking at the grand scale of things God has been linked with humanity since times long past. Obviously I'm Muslim - i believe that Jews, Christians and Muslims essentially worship the same God. The figures are all linked to each other and idol worshipping is banned in each. Though the rules within each are different because the texts (Torah and Bible) have been changed.

Well that's where you're mistaken because the gods of those religions are very different. Christians believe God is trinitarian and that he took on physical form, Muslims don't, ergo different deities.

The only way to prove God exists is through his texts - and that is the reason why i believe in him, because some passages in the Quran are proven by science (embryonic development) over a millennium before the scientific research found out about it.

This simply isn't true. The embryonic development described by the Quran is full of errors: incorrectly describes embryo as blood-clot, incorrectly compares it to a leech, gets the development order wrong, gives the incorrect anatomical location of semen production and completely fails to mention the female egg. Clearly the work of 7th century Arabs who had plagiarised previous work on embryology done by the Ancient Greeks and thus contained many of the same errors. An omniscient god would not have made such childish, imprecise comparisons and completely forgotten to mention the ovum.
Original post by constantine2016
Religion has also given people the strength to be brave and compassionate in extremely difficult and scary situations.

Many humans have found the ability and strength to be brave and compassionate without need of religion.

So religion has given nothing that a person cannot get somewhere else.
I'm very open to all suggestions cuz there is really no way of knowing. We're so small and insignificant despite what we like to think. We know next to nothing of the universe and **** so we can't "prove" shti about god. I feel like there's a possibility there's a god but you never know innit.
Original post by constantine2016
God creates but is not created itself. God does not begin because God has always existed. To suggest that God has a beginning would suggest that he is human. God is the Prime Mover whose desire and will moves other things to come into existence.

Also, there is no way to prove that God doesn't exist. Agnosticism seems the most logical viewpoint to have.

It depends on what part of the bible you read as is the case with any holy book. The Old Testament certainly has more stories about God's Vengeance than the New Testament.

Being created isn’t a ‘human’ thing. I created a sanwich for lunch today. My point is, for anything to exist it must have come into existence. But if god could sort out brexit that’d be great.

There is no way to prove that something that doesn’t exist, doesn’t exist. You could tell me there’s an invisible fire breathing dragon standing in-front of me and there’s nothing I could do to prove that you are wrong, you can’t get tangible evidence that something is the figment of the imagination.
at least you have a little chance

Negligible as to mean nothing.
Reply 133
Original post by ThePricklyOne
So religion has given nothing that a person cannot get somewhere else.
But not everyone benefits from those other methods and in fact, theism (from my experience) has benefited countless of people in terms of improving and maintaining a healthy mind or mental health.
Original post by Mil99
But not everyone benefits from those other methods and in fact, theism (from my experience) has benefited countless of people in terms of improving and maintaining a healthy mind or mental health.

Religion has destroyed millions of lives and enslaved millions more (& I'm underestimating the numbers). The circumcision forced on boys (& some girls) too young to object to it, the force marriages of child brides, the numerous Inquisitions and Crusades /Jihads against non-believers, the mass rape and genocide of people in numerous countries to force them into one religion or other. Not to mention the numerous wars religions have waged against their own side in favour of one prophet/leader or other.

In fact, most people benefit from mental health and other support provided by secular organisations and within their own family/social community. Religion is not necessary to help others. Most of the time, religion only help their own or when they think they can use their 'help' to convert someone.
still its more than nothing but okay

It's negligible so it's of no use pretending to believe in a god that it is, in real terms, just as likely to be non-existent as all the others. And that's not even taking into account the fact that it's impossible to make yourself believe something.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Although I am certain that gods of religions don't exist (because their texts are full of errors, contradictions and theological flaws), the arguments you've given above aren't very good ones in an attempt to disprove a general deity.

1) The characteristic of omnipotence has not been defined as "being able to do anything" by theists for centuries now. They knew, all those years ago, that such a concept would include the flaws you've pointed out. Theists have therefore redefined omnipotence to mean "the power to do anything that is logically possible". In this way, God would still be omnipotent, he cannot make a square circle, not because he isn't omnipotent, but because a square circle is logically impossible. Not even God can make a married bachelor or a child who is its own parent, because these things are internally contradictory. Nonsense is still nonsense, even when applied to God.

2) Not quite sure what you're trying to say by the omniscience point considering that most theists believe God has always existed and never came into existence.

3) How does the expansion of the universe contradict an omnipresent god?

Planta, Ive said this to you before, Allah exists because he created you.You did refute me upon this but I will happily say it again again. Just because Allah chose to hide himself does not mean he does not exist. He is aware of what we do every second.

Allah has made the human brain in such a manner that when it comes to questioning his existence one would not come to a conclusion. This could be an ongoing debate for years or months to come.

You will not get a definite answer. Not because there isnt any, but because one should not go too deep into such thinking's.

There are no logical flaws in the Quraan, otherwise wouldnt have Islamic scholars picked upon this time ago?
Guy u can’t sit here and tell me that all this came from nothing or chance. Look at eachother. Everyone’s body is designed perfectly to do its function. It has to have been made by a designer 100%
Original post by MiszshorTea786
Planta, Ive said this to you before, Allah exists because he created you.

No, my parents created me and Allah doesn’t exist. That logic you used is horrendous. It’s equivalent to me saying “you exist because the all-mighty invisible rabbit created you”.

You did refute me upon this but I will happily say it again again. Just because Allah chose to hide himself does not mean he does not exist. He is aware of what we do every second.

But there is no evidence he exists and plenty of scriptural evidence he doesn’t.

Allah has made the human brain in such a manner that when it comes to questioning his existence one would not come to a conclusion. This could be an ongoing debate for years or months to come.

You will not get a definite answer. Not because there isnt any, but because one should not go too deep into such thinking's.

There are no logical flaws in the Quraan, otherwise wouldnt have Islamic scholars picked upon this time ago?

Bit of a silly question. Islamic scholars are Muslims so of course they’re not going to see errors because of their indoctrination, confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance. But plenty of other people have identified the plethora of errors and contradictions in the Quran.
Your arguments about God. I'm very interested to hear all your thoughts.

Its unlikely he exists. But whether he exists or not is irrelevant because people will always seek meaning through the worship of some form of deity one way or another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending