The Student Room Group

Does God Exist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myuniapplicn109
Guy u can’t sit here and tell me that all this came from nothing or chance. Look at eachother. Everyone’s body is designed perfectly to do its function. It has to have been made by a designer 100%

Evolution does it just as well without demanding we fall on our knees in worship.

We are the product of continuous evolution from the simplest forms of life to the complex beings that we are today. & we continue to evolve.

There is no designer. & deffo not one who behaves much like a petulant immature human.
I would say with complete certainty that god doesn't exist, but I have no issue with people who choose to believe in god. I think that people who value truth do not believe in god, but people who value happiness do believe. Not that atheists can't be happy, but belief in anything supernatural (karma, heaven, rebirth, luck, astrology whatever) can help with well being, so each to their own.
Original post by cat_mac
Being created isn’t a ‘human’ thing. I created a sanwich for lunch today. My point is, for anything to exist it must have come into existence. But if god could sort out brexit that’d be great.

There is no way to prove that something that doesn’t exist, doesn’t exist. You could tell me there’s an invisible fire breathing dragon standing in-front of me and there’s nothing I could do to prove that you are wrong, you can’t get tangible evidence that something is the figment of the imagination.

I never said to 'create' is a human characteristic. I said to have a beginning is a human and animal feature as humans and animals cannot exist forever. However, many philosophers and poets, such as William Blake, believed that the human ability to create things was an example of humans being created in the image of God.

Something else had to always have eternally existed for other things to come into existence subsequently. Otherwise, you end up with a illogical argument that suggests a infinite chain of something always creating something and so on etc. God is what Aristotle calls the Prime Mover. Unmovable itself but able to move other things into existence.

That is a false analogy though, much like the watchmaker argument. A fire-breathing dragon is very different to God, a being whose concept has existed for centuries. Dragons were never believed to have been as real as God. Information about dragons were passed down through oral traditions such as folktales which everyone knew to be mere stories. Moreover, dragons have never inspired philosophical writings to the same level that the concept of God has. Therefore, this analogy doesn't work as the two things are not remotely similar.

God being a figment of the imagination is your opinion. It is not objective truth in the same way that theists believing in a God is true.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No, my parents created me and Allah doesn’t exist. That logic you used is horrendous. It’s equivalent to me saying “you exist because the all-mighty invisible rabbit created you”.

But there is no evidence he exists and plenty of scriptural evidence he doesn’t.

Bit of a silly question. Islamic scholars are Muslims so of course they’re not going to see errors because of their indoctrination, confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance. But plenty of other people have identified the plethora of errors and contradictions in the Quran.

Yes and who created their sperm and egg?

Like I keep saying, just because there is no evidence does not mean he doesnt exist. What do you classify his signs of this world as then?

The highlighted in bold, does not really explain much sir. To be honest, just because they are of the Muslim faith does not mean that they would not take the fault out of Islam.

They would do because they do not desire for their followers to be misguided. And they are not indoctrinated in their faith. Because they take all perspectives and are open-minded, regardless of the stigma that goes around of them.

By the ways, if Allah did not exist I highly doubt he would give himself 99+ names. As well as Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad(SAW) to call upon?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by myuniapplicn109
Guy u can’t sit here and tell me that all this came from nothing or chance. Look at eachother. Everyone’s body is designed perfectly to do its function. It has to have been made by a designer 100%

If that were true there would be no disability, no birth defects, and no need for hospitals or doctors because we’d have perfectly designed bodies that don’t fail and don’t get injured so easily.

It’s not from ‘nothing’ it’s from evolution, which is backed up by scientific evidence. Unlike he-who-must-be-worshipped-or-you’re-going-to-hell
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Many humans have found the ability and strength to be brave and compassionate without need of religion.

So religion has given nothing that a person cannot get somewhere else.

You should read what I was replying to before jumping into a discussion. I was replying to someone saying a quote that said God is an example of human weakness.

I was merely pointing out the generalisation in that statement when you consider the fact that many people have been inspired by their faith to be brave and compassionate.

I don't see what right you have to look down on people who seek comfort and strength from spirituality.
Original post by MiszshorTea786
Yes and who created their sperm and egg?

My parents! Seriously Miszy, you need to brush up on basic biology if you didn’t know that a male body creates sperm and the female body makes eggs.

Like I keep saying, just because there is no evidence does not mean he doesnt exist. What do you classify his signs of this world as then?

If you are making claims he exists then the burden is on you to show it. In absence of that it is perfectly reasonable to not believe in a being unsupported by evidence.

Signs of this world, what are you talking about?

The highlighted in bold, does not really explain much sir. To be honest, just because they are of the Muslim faith does not mean that they would not take the fault out of Islam.

Of course it does. To admit there are errors in the Quran would be to admit that Islam is false and that Allah doesn’t exist. And as being Muslim is often a huge part of someone’s identity they’re very unlikely to do this. And as I said, indoctrination has already impaired their critical thinking abilities and ensured that their ability to leave the faith as unlikely.

They would do because they do not desire for their followers to be misguided. And they are not indoctrinated in their faith. Because they take all perspectives and are open-minded, regardless of the stigma that goes around of them.

Of course they’re indoctrinated into their faith, just as the overwhelming majority of all religionists.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by constantine2016
I never said to 'create' is a human characteristic. I said to have a beginning is a human and animal feature as humans and animals cannot exist forever. However, many philosophers and poets, such as William Blake, believed that the human ability to create things was an example of humans being created in the image of God.

Something else had to always have eternally existed for other things to come into existence subsequently. Otherwise, you end up with a illogical argument that suggests a infinite chain of something always creating something and so on etc. God is what Aristotle calls the Prime Mover. Unmovable itself but able to move other things into existence.

That is a false analogy though, much like the watchmaker argument. A fire-breathing dragon is very different to God, a being whose concept has existed for centuries. Dragons were never believed to have been as real as God. Information about dragons were passed down through oral traditions such as folktales which everyone knew to be mere stories. Moreover, dragons have never inspired philosophical writings to the same level that the concept of God has. Therefore, this analogy doesn't work as the two things are not remotely similar.

God being a figment of the imagination is your opinion. It is not objective truth in the same way that theists believing in a God is true.

I don’t really see poets and philosophers as qualified to judge whether there is or is not an all mighty higher being tbh.

I wasn’t actually claiming there was an imaginary invisible dragon, I was explaining that word of mouth isn’t a credible source or ‘evidence’ of something existing. God is passed down in stories, written by man. Religious scripture proves that humans always like to believe in something more meaningful and powerful watching over them. But it doesn’t prove god exists.

I never claimed to know whether god is real, as I’ve said previously and many times, there’s no way to prove it either way. Just like the invisible fire breathing dragon.
Original post by constantine2016
You should read what I was replying to before jumping into a discussion. I was replying to someone saying a quote that said God is an example of human weakness.

I was merely pointing out the generalisation in that statement when you consider the fact that many people have been inspired by their faith to be brave and compassionate.

I don't see what right you have to look down on people who seek comfort and strength from spirituality.

Nowhere have I said I look down on people who seek comfort etc from religion.

There's more than one way of doing things. Promoting just religion when it is flawed while ignoring other ways that are just as good (if not better) - is either done out of ignorance or with the intention to deceive.

& the underlined part is the probably the biggest problem with religion.
I do not believe in a religious god but I don’t rule out the possibility of a higher power. I do rule out the possibility of a benevolent god that intervenes in the world’s affairs though.

The bottom line is though, I don’t care.
My parents! Seriously Miszy, you need to brush up on basic biology if you didn’t know that a male body creates sperm and the female body makes eggs.

If you are making claims he exists then the burden is on you to show it. In absence of that it is perfectly reasonable to not believe in a being unsupported by evidence.

Signs of this world, what are you talking about?

Of course it does. To admit there are errors in the Quran would be to admit that Islam is false and that Allah doesn’t exist. And as being Muslim is often a huge part of someone’s identity they’re very unlikely to do this. And as I said, indoctrination has already impaired their critical thinking abilities and ensured that their ability to leave the faith as unlikely.

Of course they’re indoctrinated into their faith, just as the overwhelming majority of all religionists.

Planta, how can a human create bodily fluid? If that was the case then the organs itself a human creates that too? Such as our facial features and what have you? The sperm and the egg itself is incredible creation MashaAllah(I highly doubt that human thought of this themselves. Evolution has been going on for generations). I am aware of what a male produces and a female produces however that is not what I have written sir. Please refer back to my original post if in confusion.

No burden is on me to prove anything. " for you is my religion for you its your religion. You have been told time and again but its all up to you sir if you want to refute. Thats your choice at the end of the day. The Holy Quraan is enough proof for you if anything. yet you reject that. The Hadeeth is another proof yet you reject this too. Therefore its entirely upon you sir to prove its not true.

One can only guide and that itself is from Allah Alhamdulliah.

Signs of this world?- I thought that was self explanatory. Obviously not. But thats for you to figure out not from me though. I rather you use that clever brain Allah gave you to figure this out for yourself.

They are more open than what you think. If there was a fault in the Holy Quraan or Islam itself they would speak up. I guarantee you that much for certain. Having spent a lengthy period of my time in their esteemed company.

I relate to you a true story about a female coming to an Islamic scholar to 'debate' to him about Allah. He simply gave her the detail and said "it's all up to you if Allah gives you guidance that's from him and not me, though you do not have to follow Islam if you are having doubts.". Now, how do you verify what I have stated is true? 🤔. I'm not stating it's not it happened in front of a class of 28 students back when I was in Thalithaa. Alhamdulliah. But my point here is that you demand proof which we can only give you two of in this world, but you reject it. That's not an issue with us. That's an issue between you and Allah sir.

They would not keep it concealed for what benefit would that achieve?

They have to learn about their religion somewhere if that is what takes their interest of course? Thats not indoctrination.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 151
x.
I specifically mentioned theism as opposed to religion.

The belief that there's always a being observing/caring and willing to help you has helped countless of people with struggles and difficulties pertaining to their mental health, whether you appreciate this or not. And before you mention that there's lots of other "solutions", I should remind you that the only valid examples here are those without (obvious) adverse effects.

Take care.
Guys I will pray for all of you today hoping you find god the way i did. Much love for all of you and I hope find him
Reply 153
Could like the data for this ?

As far as I know, when children ask questions regarding religion they are given answers and are not shunned or instructed to think uncritically (of course this is not to say that it does not happen, unfortunately).
Planta, how can a human create bodily fluid?

The body creates fluids all the time. You really do need to learn basic biology.

If that was the case then the organs itself a human creates that too? Such as our facial features and what have you?

Your genes regulate the processes that create your organs and facial features.

The sperm and the egg itself is incredible creation MashaAllah(I highly doubt that human thought of this themselves. Evolution has been going on for generations). I am aware of what a male produces and a female produces however that is not what I have written sir. Please refer back to my original post if in confusion.

The bodies create sperm and eggs. The fact we do it without consciously thinking doesn’t change this.

No burden is on me to prove anything. " for you is my religion for you its your religion. You have been told time and again but its all up to you sir if you want to refute. Thats your choice at the end of the day. The Holy Quraan is enough proof for you if anything. yet you reject that. The Hadeeth is another proof yet you reject this too. Therefore its entirely upon you sir to prove its not true.

No, the Quran is proof that Allah doesn’t exist.

One can only guide and that itself is from Allah Alhamdulliah.

Signs of this world?- I thought that was self explanatory. Obviously not. But thats for you to figure out not from me though. I rather you use that clever brain Allah gave you to figure this out for yourself.

No. If you make random and vague claims then the burden is on you to explain them.

They are more open than what you think. If there was a fault in the Holy Quraan or Islam itself they would speak up. I guarantee you that much for certain. Having spent a lengthy period of my time in their esteemed company.

They would not keep it concealed for what benefit would that achieve?

They have to learn about their religion somewhere if that is what takes their interest of course? Thats not indoctrination.

They don’t see the faults due to their indoctrination, that’s the point. As explained, the rest of us have identified the many faults without a problem.
Original post by Mil99
I specifically mentioned theism as opposed to religion.

The belief that there's always a being observing/caring and willing to help you has helped countless of people with struggles and difficulties pertaining to their mental health, whether you appreciate this or not. And before you mention that there's lots of other "solutions", I should remind you that the only valid examples here are those without (obvious) adverse effects.

Take care.

Theism is religion. Calling it something else changes nothing.

Agree your point that the only valid examples are those without adverse effects. Religion based solution also have adverse effects like destroying the sanity of those it claims to save. How many child abuse victims came out of religious institutions? & did religion deal with this or did the solution had to come from non-religious institutions, like the govt and the Police?

Appreciate religion worked for you and other religious people. But you cannot ignore the areas where religion not only did not work, but actually caused harm to many people.
Reply 156
Theism is religion. Calling it something else changes nothing.
Well, it seems that one of us isn't up to date with definitions.

To my knowledge and understanding, theism is the belief in a God (which can include specifically an interventionalist God) where as religion implies the social or political aspect involving this belief and it's propagated by mankind for mankind (and thus no longer a personal relationship with a God).

To summarise, religion is the social embodiment of theism and generally is more restrictive (primarily because it relies on group based belief and practices e.g praying or attending religious events).

Agree your point that the only valid examples are those without adverse effects.
And therefore you agreed that theism is without adverse effects ?

Appreciate religion worked for you and other religious people. But you cannot ignore the areas where religion not only did not work, but actually caused harm to many people.
I am not talking about religion but rather theism. Since it doesn't officially involve the typical social element that religion does, all of your criticisms are irrelevant and not valid.
They don’t see the faults due to their indoctrination, that’s the point. As explained, the rest of us have identified the many faults without a problem.

I find it funny how you decide to skip the important parts in my explanation. You only answer what you can, and just ignore the rest because you're critical thinking was flawed.
I find it funny how you decide to skip the important parts in my explanation. You only answer what you can, and just ignore the rest because you're critical thinking was flawed.

You’re seeing things. I replied to all the main parts of your post. You lack a basic understanding of biology and have failed to provide any evidence for Allah’s existence.
You’re seeing things. I replied to all the main parts of your post. You lack a basic understanding of biology and have failed to provide any evidence for Allah’s existence.

I like to see things in wider perspective sir. That doesn't mean I don't know my biology.

Just like you won't believe Allah doesn't exist I refuse to believe what biologist have to say in terms of human evolution. I don't care about evidence in this field because they do not do assist to think beyond the picture of reproduction.

The 2 elements are sufficent proof in this world. You reject it therefore that's rejecting Islam. That's not my issue that's between you and Allah sir.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending