The Student Room Group

Depression and bad grades

I have been diagnosed with depression and Aspergers syndrome in November will start therapy in a weeks time.I am really struggling right now I have been trying so hard to improve my mood for so long and nothing is working I no longer feel much joy no matter what I do.I eat food that I like and it tastes not as good as I remember it to be or I try and watch something and I don't enjoy that either.I just want to feel excited and a happy but I feel miserable.This is really affecting my grades as I am unable to focus on my studies.

I am in year 12 studying biology,chemistry and maths in my mocks I have received BBU the U is for chemistry.I want to study and get good grades I know I am capable of receiving AAA.I just don't study because I either get frequent headaches,low mood or tearful outbursts or extreme anger.I don't want to fail now I worked so hard at GCSE and received 7A*'s and 3A's and all I need now is 3A's minimum which I know is doable but I feel unwell mentally thus I am not putting in the work.I know me doing nothing won't help improve my grades I am well aware that only by studying i can do well academically there is no need to state the obvious.
Your mental health must come first. You should be allowed time off your studies in order to do this. Also, you're allowed to question whether you're on the right pathway towards your future. Maybe the subjects are currently too difficult for you to understand at A Level standard? Bear in mind that it doesn't matter when you pass A Levels or whether you pass them at all.
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
Your mental health must come first. You should be allowed time off your studies in order to do this. Also, you're allowed to question whether you're on the right pathway towards your future. Maybe the subjects are currently too difficult for you to understand at A Level standard? Bear in mind that it doesn't matter when you pass A Levels or whether you pass them at all.

They are not too difficult I know if I worked hard I would get all A's.I want to study medicine at university which adds the pressure as all courses are a minimum of 3A's which is quite high compared to other courses.I would never consider being anything other than a doctor.
Original post by Anonymous
They are not too difficult I know if I worked hard I would get all A's.I want to study medicine at university which adds the pressure as all courses are a minimum of 3A's which is quite high compared to other courses.I would never consider being anything other than a doctor.

You can apply for a less competitive course that requires biology and chemistry, then study medicine as a graduate. Competition for medicine at undergrad level can't be underestimated, especially when all universities have high requirements and only one (afaik) will consider grades achieved by resits
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
You can apply for a less competitive course that requires biology and chemistry, then study medicine as a graduate. Competition for medicine at undergrad level can't be underestimated, especially when all universities have high requirements and only one (afaik) will consider grades achieved by resits

I would never do that as this would be too expensive and takes much longer.It would be a waste of time and money in my opinion.
I would never do that as this would be too expensive and takes much longer.It would be a waste of time and money in my opinion.

If you get student finance sorted out before you start (any) course, you won't have to pay back all your debt.
I don't know much about your depression, do you think it'll make you work harder and get AAA? Or is it the type of depression that drains your self esteem? I honestly think it shouldn't matter how long it takes to fulfill your dream, because getting the job is only the first step to a career, you might lose it and find it difficult to get another.
Reply 6
It's only 1 U, you still got time to improve
Reply 7
I can relate strongly, I'm in Y11 now and I've been diagnosed with depression, I go to a therapist and a counsellor. it's really hard because I'm seen as quite a high achiever but now my grades are dropping and my school is blaming me for it, and telling me I'm not trying hard enough. this honestly makes me worried if I'm going to be able to take the exams because I get panic attacks when I wait outside to go in for them, the main problem being that people in my year really don't understand what is going on.
I can relate so much.....That's really good though - getting BBU in mocks. When I did my first mock in year 12 (also the same situation as you) I got BEU (bio, maths and chem) and then the second time round at the end of the year I got ABC (bio, maths AS real exam, chem). I was aiming for medicine as well to begin with. But I couldn't do it because after these results I was predicted to get AAB and not AAA to unis :/
now I am in year 13 and I have just had my mocks and I got BBU and wasn't far from an A in biology. Maths is the one I got a U in, and that's because I didnt revise enough. I am still hoping to get 3A's though hopefully.

I think you could still get AAA, you just gotta harder than everyone else.
Reply 9
Original post by ercopp
I can relate strongly, I'm in Y11 now and I've been diagnosed with depression, I go to a therapist and a counsellor. it's really hard because I'm seen as quite a high achiever but now my grades are dropping and my school is blaming me for it, and telling me I'm not trying hard enough. this honestly makes me worried if I'm going to be able to take the exams because I get panic attacks when I wait outside to go in for them, the main problem being that people in my year really don't understand what is going on.

The teachers and everyone around you have absolute no idea what is going on in your head.The fact you turn up to school is a big thing where you end up feeling upset and tormented for a big portion of the day and you feel like you want to go home.Everyone around you keeps telling you that because you don't work hard enough you are doing badly.The reason I don't work hard enough is because mentally I am not in a good place and I feel constant sadness and cannot focus.
Original post by LunaCat
I can relate so much.....That's really good though - getting BBU in mocks. When I did my first mock in year 12 (also the same situation as you) I got BEU (bio, maths and chem) and then the second time round at the end of the year I got ABC (bio, maths AS real exam, chem). I was aiming for medicine as well to begin with. But I couldn't do it because after these results I was predicted to get AAB and not AAA to unis :/
now I am in year 13 and I have just had my mocks and I got BBU and wasn't far from an A in biology. Maths is the one I got a U in, and that's because I didnt revise enough. I am still hoping to get 3A's though hopefully.

I think you could still get AAA, you just gotta harder than everyone else.

What course did you apply for or are you taking a gap year?Did you consider foundation medicine or medicine abroad?
What course did you apply for or are you taking a gap year?Did you consider foundation medicine or medicine abroad?

My parents don't want me to go far, so I was restricted on what I could do anyway. Ended up going into biochemistry, got my offers. I'm thinking I should go into clearing and do pharmacy ngl :/
Reply 12
The teachers and everyone around you have absolute no idea what is going on in your head.The fact you turn up to school is a big thing where you end up feeling upset and tormented for a big portion of the day and you feel like you want to go home.Everyone around you keeps telling you that because you don't work hard enough you are doing badly.The reason I don't work hard enough is because mentally I am not in a good place and I feel constant sadness and cannot focus.

yeah, the only reason that my grades are dropping is because I feel constantly empty wherever I am, in or out of school, sorry I just thought we were in a similar situation and that I could show you other people are going through the same thing
Original post by ercopp
yeah, the only reason that my grades are dropping is because I feel constantly empty wherever I am, in or out of school, sorry I just thought we were in a similar situation and that I could show you other people are going through the same thing

It is ok thank you for sharing how you feel.

Quick Reply

Latest